Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1006: Yukon Striker construction update! Photos & video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby asimowalk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:08 am

Well, it's official: Skyrider is on its way out.

VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 6, 2014 /CNW/ - After almost 23 million riders, Canada's Wonderland will be saying goodbye to the iconic stand-up looping roller coaster, SkyRider. Monday, September 1, 2014 will be the last chance for riders to experience one of the legends in the roller coaster collection at the park.

SkyRider opened for riders in May, 1985 and was instantly a hit for coaster enthusiasts across North America. It was the first stand-up coaster to be built in Canada, and second in the world with a loop.

"As the park evolves each year, we continue to focus on future park enhancements that will provide our guests with innovative entertainment and leisure experiences. To accommodate these enhancements, we need to make difficult decisions when considering redevelopment of the land for an improved guest experience in future years. After creating 29 years of memories for our guests, we wanted to make sure thrill seekers of all ages had advance notice of the SkyRider retirement, and an opportunity to enjoy one last ride before it closes at 8 p.m. on September 1," Norm Pirtovshek, General Manager at Canada's Wonderland.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1394678/canada-s-wonderland-retires-iconic-stand-up-roller-coaster-skyrider-after-29-years

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby PCW_Nut » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:39 am

I am both sad and happy to see this go.

It's never been the best ride in the park by no means, however it kind of just been part of the park heritage. One of the few coasters that would actually make it into park commercials as most the other footage was from other parks in the chain (Paramount or Cedar Fair).

You will bet I will be there on Sept 1st to close the ride out.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby loop-de-loop » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:51 am

^This echos my thoughts exactly. While I'm glad the park is focusing more on quality than quantity, there are still much worse coasters in the park I would rather see go.
Anyways, I'd bet someone 20 bucks we are looking at a station location for a launched B&M.

Postby PCW_Nut » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:57 am

I have two trains of thoughts for what the area could be used for.

First would be the most obvious, and that would be expansion for Splash Works and a possibly rebranding to Soak City. With the area being so close to Splash Works and nothing else in that area anymore it would be logical to do that.

Secondly, would yes, be the station/start/brake of a new coaster. Whether this is a launched B&M or something else who knows. I personally am hoping we do not see a Wing Rider, launched or not, in our park. Though I will be grateful to have a new coaster, I have not been a fan of wing riders. I'd much rather see B&M revisit the floorless or perhaps another company all together come in and do something. Have it interact with White Water Canyon and whatnot.

Either way, I am excited for the next 2 years for sure. ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:02 am

This really seems like it's going to be an expansion area for the waterpark. It's really the only way they could expand it.

Postby PCW_Nut » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:07 am

coasterbill wrote:This really seems like it's going to be an expansion area for the waterpark. It's really the only way they could expand it.

Don't forget the area where the drop slides used to be as well as a lot of area between Mindbuster and the wave pool.

Plenty of area for sure, but with the timing and such, it would seem to be a Splash Works/Soak City expansion and re-brand.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:18 am

Well this just made my morning a little sad. This is my favorite stand up coaster by far. I agree that it most likely will be used for Splash Works expansion. If they put in something like Mammoth, then yes...removing Sky Rider will be worth it.

It's odd that they worked so hard to keep something like Dragon Fire on the other hand, which I understand is because it still has very high ridership.

I go to furry parties, I'm probably a brony too...

Postby tarheel1231 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:21 am

Funny how they removed the Standup before the Zamperla death machine. Lol.
I'm done.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby shivtim » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:42 am

Sad news. I *love* Sky Rider. I know I'm in the minority, but I think it's an amazing ride in the front "seat." The airtime is unbelievable. I have no idea why this one is so much better than the King's Dominion (and formerly King's Island) versions.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby kunpc1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:48 am

Don't expect to see Splash Works expand in to SkyRider's spot ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!