TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I have a question for anyone that knows the park well. I've never been to CW and I'm thinking about going before or after a weekend at Conneaut/Waldameer (an ACE/WNYCC event), Sat Aug 23/Sun Aug 24. I'm trying to decide if it's better to go to CW before or after that event. When does school go back in? Like any coaster nerd, I'd rather go when the crowds are not as heavy. I've heard CW gets behemoth crowds...

(When I realized how close the park is to Waldameer, I decided I must go and ride Sky Rider! I loved KI's King Cobra back in the day. My one ride on KD's Shockwave was not good; I've heard Sky Rider was the best out of the 3.)

If I were you I would definitely go the weekend before as the weekend after is a long weekend right before school starts (Sept. 2) so everyone usually tries to make it out that weekend for one last visit of the summer.

I'm not going either weekend (looking at the way I worded it, I can see the confusion). I would be going either the Mon and/or Tuesday after Waldameer or the Thurs/Fri before Conneaut. Which weekdays are the best?

I am 100% in support of free speech and support everyone's opinion as valid, but all this talk about SkyRider being a smooth ride is making my nuts ache.

It wasn't glass smooth, but it was smoother than Time Warp, Flight Deck, Wild Beast, Dragon Fire, Minebuster and The Bat (imo) so I always thought of it as one of the better coasters in the park.

re: nutache, bend your knees a bit before they lock the seats and then stand flat footed for the ride. If that doesn't work maybe there is a cream you can apply afterwards. Then you could really look forward to riding.

I went on skyider this spring on `don't take your kid to the park day` and went on 5 or 6 times walk on/ reride. It was a good time. I don't think i would want to go back and face huge lineups just for one last ride.

I wonder if they are removing skyrider because it is in the way and disrupts the pathways. Maybe we can put up a petition to remove time warp and flight deck and relocate skyrider there. I remeber sfga was planning to remove whizzer and it was saved by public outcry. (skyrider is no whizzer, but is still worth riding).

That's actually a really good idea. I'd support it if there was a petition.

^ I agree with removing Time Warp and Flight Deck. Can you imagine if we had gotten a B&M invert instead? Cedar Point opened Raptor in 1994 and Busch Gardens opened Montu in 1996, yet somewhere in between there, Wonderland opens an SLC? I think that one move ruined Wonderland's immediate future, as we are now seeing new coasters simply being crammed in half-ass planned just to catch up with industry standards. If we had opened a quality B&M invert back in 1995, Wonderland could be adding something world-class by now like a BlueFire MegaCoaster or a Maverick, and not a B&M wing rider or something.

Edited by Angle O. Descent

I doubt we'll ever see Canada's Wonderland take out Flight Deck only to replace it with a B&M invert. While the quality of the ride experience is worlds apart, the general public looks at both rides as basically accomplishing the same thing. It's be a wasted investment for the general public, which is who supports the park's profits most heavily.

I never quite understood the reasoning. CGA got a great B&M invert then Carowinds got an awesome B&M invert and in between the two Wonderland gets a Vekoma clone. Too bad you can't go back and kick Paramount's a$$ for some of the boneheaded additions to the park.

I doubt we'll ever see Canada's Wonderland take out Flight Deck only to replace it with a B&M invert. While the quality of the ride experience is worlds apart, the general public looks at both rides as basically accomplishing the same thing. It's be a wasted investment for the general public, which is who supports the park's profits most heavily.

The GP really doesn't think that way. They all know that a smooth, amazing, top 50 ride is better than a rough boring ride. Even if they look the same they will ride it. After that they will realize it is better and be glad.

The GP really doesn't think that way. They all know that a smooth, amazing, top 50 ride is better than a rough boring ride. Even if they look the same they will ride it. After that they will realize it is better and be glad.

I've read comments on the GP thread where the GP think Wonderland copied Hershey Park/Cedar Point/Blah blah blah because the rides hang upside-down. The GP would look at it the same way as they did with the SLC. Wonderland would be better off with a wing coaster. With that money, maybe the park could buy a nice launch.

^^Agree... Yes, lots of GP ride flight deck.... BUT, they only ride it once. Most people walk on, thinking it's the best ride there due to it's location at the front, but after they get off, all you hear is how horrible it was.

If any company's takes advantage of the GP, I'd actually say it's B&M, with their newer installations, besides Banshee.

Take leviathan for example. The park bills the ride as the tallest, fastest, most intense ride around. While it is tall, and fast, and nothing to sneeze at, I'd have to disagree with the last point. The last time I rode, I barely got any noteworthy airtime, and overall, it really wasn't very intense given it's size.

Compare this to the soon to retire Skyrider. While it wasn't glass smooth, Whatever bumps it had gave me much less of a beating than flight deck, especially considering it's 10 years older. Roughness aside, the ride was MUCH more intense than leviathan, and actually is in a tie for the most intense coaster I've ridden to date. Does the park ever emphasize the fact Skyrider's possibly the most intense coaster in Canada though?... He no.

My point, the GP are usually fooled more by size. They certainly can tell if a ride is rough or not.

Adding to wgat I've stated, this is exactly why I'm hoping for an RMC to take Skyrider's spot... Something intense to replace what was a true ly intense ride. In addition, an RMC could mean CW would have 4 woodies... Is this significant/marketable outside of Canada?... I know that'd mean they have the most woodies in one place for at least here in Canada, just not sure about US parks.

I have a question for anyone that knows the park well. I've never been to CW and I'm thinking about going before or after a weekend at Conneaut/Waldameer (an ACE/WNYCC event), Sat Aug 23/Sun Aug 24. I'm trying to decide if it's better to go to CW before or after that event. When does school go back in? Like any coaster nerd, I'd rather go when the crowds are not as heavy. I've heard CW gets behemoth crowds...

(When I realized how close the park is to Waldameer, I decided I must go and ride Sky Rider! I loved KI's King Cobra back in the day. My one ride on KD's Shockwave was not good; I've heard Sky Rider was the best out of the 3.)

If I were you I would definitely go the weekend before as the weekend after is a long weekend right before school starts (Sept. 2) so everyone usually tries to make it out that weekend for one last visit of the summer.

I'm not going either weekend (looking at the way I worded it, I can see the confusion). I would be going either the Mon and/or Tuesday after Waldameer or the Thurs/Fri before Conneaut. Which weekdays are the best?

Crap, I can't read. I've only ever went on a weekday once in the summer and lines were very manageable so I don't think either before or after will make a big difference.

I never quite understood the reasoning. CGA got a great B&M invert then Carowinds got an awesome B&M invert and in between the two Wonderland gets a Vekoma clone. Too bad you can't go back and kick Paramount's a$$ for some of the boneheaded additions to the park.

Apparently (this coming straight from the park), Wonderland contacted B&M about getting an invert for 1995 and everything was fine until it came to sign the papers, and then B&M says they made a deal with Cedar Point that they can't build another invert in a 200 mile radius of CP, and Wonderland is 198 miles away from CP. And instead of Paramount giving us a B&M sit down, they were dead set on an invert so we got an SLC. Paramount has never cared about the quality of roller coasters CW got.

I've always thought this story sounds a bit fishy, I mean, surely B&M would tell CW right away that they can't build them an invert instead of waiting until there is a contract to sign to tell them. I'm just thankful the park survived the Paramount years.

Guests most certainly think that way. Most people don't have any idea what a "top 50" ride is and really couldn't care less! If Canada's Wonderland wants to keep Flight Deck and / or Time Warp because they're still getting good ridership, let them.

I am 100% in support of free speech and support everyone's opinion as valid, but all this talk about SkyRider being a smooth ride is making my nuts ache.

It wasn't glass smooth, but it was smoother than Time Warp, Flight Deck, Wild Beast, Dragon Fire, Minebuster and The Bat (imo) so I always thought of it as one of the better coasters in the park.

re: nutache, bend your knees a bit before they lock the seats and then stand flat footed for the ride. If that doesn't work maybe there is a cream you can apply afterwards. Then you could really look forward to riding.

I went on skyider this spring on `don't take your kid to the park day` and went on 5 or 6 times walk on/ reride. It was a good time. I don't think i would want to go back and face huge lineups just for one last ride.

I wonder if they are removing skyrider because it is in the way and disrupts the pathways. Maybe we can put up a petition to remove time warp and flight deck and relocate skyrider there. I remeber sfga was planning to remove whizzer and it was saved by public outcry. (skyrider is no whizzer, but is still worth riding).

That's actually a really good idea. I'd support it if there was a petition.

Unfortunately, Vekoma and Zamperla are still in business so they can make parts for Flight Deck and Time Warp, where as Togo is long gone. The park even said popularity isn't the reason they are removing it, so I'm guessing it was getting difficult to get parts for it.

^ You'll be fine. Leviathan and Behemoth do an amazing job with capacity (30 mins tops each, and that was a busy weekday last week). Its the other 'midcard' rides that will slow you down. Bottom line - I'd say fast pass not necessary as long as you get there for opening and stay until at least dinner time

Looks like I'll be going to CW for the first time on Monday August 25th and/or Tuesday August 26th. Does anyone know if those days are going to be crowded? I heard school goes back late up there, so I assume the park will be packed. Is it worth it/needed to get the pay-to-cut pass?

I'd judge when at the park for fast lane, and plus is not necessary, as the two on plus have the fastest lines.

Thanks for the input. If I still opted for fast lane, does it cut my wait significantly? I'm not sure how it works... I read a review of CW from a couple years ago where they were saying it was a waste of money and didn't significantly reduce wait times. I'll most likely be there alone, and I don't handle crowds well. I might also be getting there later in the day, after noon time - but I can definitely stay until close.

With SF Great America being my home park, I've seen many people with flash pass on days where they didn't need it. They looked silly going up the flash pass entrance queue when there was less than a station wait. In some cases, they ended up waiting longer (still on the order of 1-2 minutes, but it still looked ridiculous).

Fastlane pass will significantly lower the wait for all attractions, but I can only recommend purchasing it if you notice its really busy when you get there. If you want to ride Guardian go there right at opening, or the line will be sitting at over an hour for the rest of the day. Even will full queues Behemoth and Leviathan waits will be less than an hour. In my past experiences I never had to wait more than 10 minutes with Fast Lane.

^Thanks for the info! Is Fast Lane Plus much better? From what I've heard, it's run much different (better?) than those at SF parks.

Leviathan and Behemoth aren't on Fast Lane, only Fast Lane Plus. That's your only real perk getting the Fast Lane Plus. But, with their capacity being so high, it's really not too worth it (unless you plan on marathoning either ride).

It's a completely different system at the Cedar Fair parks than at Six Flags. Instead of a Q-Bot, you have a wrist band. You just walk up to the Fast Lane entrance and show your wrist band whenever you want to ride.

You just walk up to the Fast Lane entrance and show your wrist band whenever you want to ride.

Is there a merge point before the station? Is there any wait at all? I think I might end up splurging on the Fast lane plus. I've never been to the park and want to do everything - especially all those wicked looking flats! I have fond memories of the Skylab (BIG enterprise) that was at Kings Island, and I know CW has one

I got fast Lane plus when I went a couple months ago. Most fastlane lines merge at the station so it's only a couple of trains wait. I recall getting on Leviathan with little or no wait at all. It was like having ERT for the entire day. The Fast Lane system is way better than the qbot system at six flags parks. No need to schedule the next ride. Just go on whenever you want as many times as you want.

If you're going on a Monday, then you will NEED a FastLane wristband. Monday's are season pass bring-a-friend days for $20, so the park is ALWAYS packed. Going with FastLane will set you back an extra $75 but you may find it worthwhile since you're only there for a day. Just be aware that not all rides have FastLane (The Bat for example) so you'll have to wait in line there (granted, there is a single riders line).

Judge the lines when you get to the park though, I don't think buying in advance is a great idea since the lines may be tiny.

In terms of FastLane wait times, you usually don't have to wait at all. Most rides will have empty FastLane queues but even when there is a crowd of FastLane users the line is only 2-3 cycles MAX.