TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

The water vortex was the only reason to visit this attraction. This is not a good idea.

And I've been predicting for years that Mythos will become a hamburger stand. I've gotten the feeling the management does not like the place, ever since they dumbed down the menu. The HP makeover will be the perfect reason to "re-theme" it.

dt

but I’ve also heard that the park may try to spin this move as part of the semi-new “green” initiative.

Riiiight. Hulk needs it's own dedicated power plant to launch every few minutes, and they're concerned about the "greenness" of the water vortex? Please, IOA, *if* you're gonna make this lame decision, don't try to play it off as a "green" initiative.

I saw a video of the vortex on you tube, and it didn't strike me a being all that impressive. Interesting? Yes, but not impressive

I also like basing my opinions off of Youtube videos. That 450x338 video box really conveys what it's like to walk through a tunnel of water.

So I take the water vortex in Valhalla is the last one left, that's a shame. Though I never rode the ride, I've seen video's of it and it did look impressive.

I'd hardly call the one in Valhalla a 'water vortex'. It's a load of jets that are supposed to go over the boat, don't and just hit and soak you.

... assuming it's working, that is

The one on Poseidon's was AWESOME. I remember it making a lot of noise and just being so cool. I can't really add a lot else to this part that hasn't already been said...

... the rest of the attraction? Not so much. So, if this turns out to be true, I'll be really sad. But, may as well put the last nail into Lost Continent's coffin, I suppose.

I will be honest, I am not sure if this has been posted or not...or if anyone can translate but I found this to be quite interesting.

When surfing the Deustch version of the Coastersandmore.de newsletter...they have a section talking about the Robocoaster...and in one of the paragraphs this is written: (http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/eas2008/eas2008_2.php)

"Eine weitere Ergänzung wurde auf der IAAPA 2004 in Orlando zusammen mit der kanadischen Amec (heute Dynamic Structures) präsentiert, bei der ein Roboterarm auf einem schienengebundenen Fahrzeug montiert ist. Der erste Kunde ist Universal´s Islands of Adventure in Orlando, wo die fahrenden Roboterarme als Ridesystem für den Harry Potter Ride dienen werden. Im Gegensatz zu der Präsentation auf der IAAPA wird die Schiene jedoch nur horizontal in zwei statt in drei Dimensionen gebogen sein. Eine achterbahnähnliche Grunddynamik ist daher nicht zu erwarten."

Now, I've tried some online translators but to no avail...however I see them talking about the Harry Potter Ride...also a link to this story "http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/harrypotter/harrypotter.shtml"

Anyone able to figure out what they are saying there?

While I don't have photos today to show for it, I can report that as of today, even more track has begun to be unloaded in the previously photographed location. The newest pieces that have arrived are curved heavily, featuring an extremely thick (nearly covering the track width from rail to rail) spine. I'm not sure what element this belongs to, but the track is unlike anything I've yet to see Maurer Sohne produce.

I saw a video of the vortex on you tube, and it didn't strike me a being all that impressive. Interesting? Yes, but not impressive

I also like basing my opinions off of Youtube videos. That 450x338 video box really conveys what it's like to walk through a tunnel of water.

You misunderstood me. It's a well done effect and all, and as far as I can tell it's the highlight of the ride (Sadly, Poseidon's Fury was closed when I was there in 2004, so I guess I'll never know for sure ), it's just not impressive from a technological stand point like Spidey is. I mean, all it is is just water being flung around a tube at high velocity with some lights shining through it, and although it's interesting and original, it doesn't blow me away with awe.

At any rate, it is a shame that they're turning it off, assuming the rumors are true.

^ While I don't have photos as well, I can vouch for you that what you report is true. I see the area where they unload the track Monday through Thursday as I take one of the exit off Interstate 4 that provides a great view of the area.

That new track I agree is something I have never seen before. I am pretty excited to see what part of the layout this track belongs to.

Oh and just a quick update, over at OrlandoRocks, they posted an construction update and it looks like they have started vertical construction on some type of building.

orlandorocks.com/info.aspx?location=usf&type=rides&Attraction=rockit&sub=construction&pg=1

^ You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I won't begrudge you that, but I still think you're also missing the point that so many of us are trying to make. If it was just a "water tunnel with lights" - nothing more, nothing less - then I doubt anyone would ever feel compelled to grant its possible removal its own thread.

Yes, technically in its simplest form, you can say it's a "water tunnel with lights." But if that's all it really is, then ask yourself how many times, and in how many places do you get to walk through a water tunnel with lights? Trust us, it may not seem like much, but it obviously leaves a lasting impression with most park patrons. I mean, if you have a billion dollar theme park and most people consider a "water tunnel with lights" pretty memorable, and in many cases, a highlight, then it's gotta be doing something right.

You couldn't get any translators to work? Here's what google's translator gave me:

A further addition was at the IAAPA Orlando 2004 in conjunction with the Canadian Amec (now Dynamic Structures) presented in a robotic arm on a rail-mounted vehicle. The first customer is Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando, where the mobile Ridesystem as robotic arms for the Harry Potter ride will serve. In contrast to the presentation at the IAAPA is the only rail horizontally into two in three dimensions instead of curved. A roller coaster similar basic dynamic is therefore not expected.

they are talking about the harry potter ride, which is supposedly rumored to be a robo coaster.

I'm glad that I got to see, and enjoy it again, last week!

Every time I've gone to IOA, I always make it a point to do PF. Though I do prefer the original storyline, it's still a fun, fascinating attraction to me.

It's bad enough with the whole HP thing, and the removal of the dragons from the DD queue really leaves a sour taste with me anyway. I really hope the rumors aren't true, as I feel it would be the final dagger into The Lost Continent, the best themed area of the park.

McMythos anyone?

JJ