Photo TR: Virgin Visit to Virginia

or: How A Grizzly Took A Bite Out Of Me, But Not My Weekend
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Virgin Visit to Virginia

Postby viking86 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Awesome trip report so far, very well written! I am now anxiously awaiting the next part to see how the rest of your day was.

boldikus wrote:Simultaneously excited and nervous, and I rarely find myself afraid of any rides anymore. It's a good feeling to have again - the anticipation and adrenaline.

I love that feeling of being nervous before a new ride. As you said, it doesn't happen very often any longer. I think the last ride to have me genuinely nervous before riding was Mechanica at Liseberg last year.
Last edited by viking86 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:54 pm.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:53 pm

LOL Shenandoah Lumber Company legitimately tried to kill us. I swear it t never does that. I forgive it though. ;)

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:10 pm

We rode in the front seat of Grizzly this spring and it wasn't too bad...couple pops of air, but not awfully rough. Nothing to write home about although I wouldn't mind riding at night in the front seat after several body-numbing beers. Depending on where you ride those woodies though...they can get you when you least expect it. ;)

A similar thing happened to me on Son Of Beast during Haunt the last year it was open. I swore that I either broke a rib or punctured a lung on that POS. It was very painful and one of those feelings where you thought to yourself: "Sh%t that really hurt - that was definitely NOT good". Luckily I had enough beers to kill any residual pain after that and was feeling fine for the rest of the evening as well as the next day.

Looking forward to the rest of the report!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:56 pm

viking86 wrote:Awesome trip report so far, very well written! I am now anxiously awaiting the next part to see how the rest of your day was.

boldikus wrote:Simultaneously excited and nervous, and I rarely find myself afraid of any rides anymore. It's a good feeling to have again - the anticipation and adrenaline.

I love that feeling of being nervous before a new ride. As you said, it doesn't happen very often any longer. I think the last ride to have me genuinely nervous before riding was Mechanica at Liseberg last year.

I agree. It's a pretty great feeling of being nervous. For the most part, I know how a ride will be for me. I'm really looking forward to Lightning Rod and El Toro next year because I've been on similar rides and I've seen videos, so I can imagine what the experience is like. At WCB I got to go on X2, and that one was so far away from my experience that it was nerve-wracking approaching it. Intimidator305 looks fantastic, and I can definitely appreciate how...er...intimidating it must be in person.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:43 pm

The wait did not disappoint. Excellent TR so far, Boldikus!
That coaster dad [340] and that coaster kiddo [222]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. TMNT Shellraiser. Fury 325.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:28 am

I305's was down last night and has been since midday Sunday. I guess breaking a rib would have been worse than getting here to no Intimidator.

terdferg wrote:I drive past KD three or four times a year but never stop. I need to get on anaconda before its gone for good. I love the BDSM factor of old arrows.

I used to drive by every day, did that for 4 years before deciding I'm going in. Lame friends or awkwardness won't stop me, I'm there and it's time to ride. I must have stopped outside and stared at Dominator 5 times before that.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:19 am

Great report so far!! I love that you loved Dominator!! That ride is seriously golden! I was blown away on all my rides on it! I rode it more than anything else in the park!! It's glass smooth, yet the forces, and airtime are amazing!! Glad you enjoyed i305!! I may not personally love it, but so many people rave about it. I can't help but to think I just caught the ride on an off day. Eh, I'll be back in May to try it again!! Maybe this time will be different!! Sorry to hear about your Grizzly bite!! :( With me already having back and neck problems, this is why I avoid wooden coasters. They are much more harsh on my body, and one bad ride on a wooden coaster can leave me unable to ride anything else for the next few weeks/months!!

Can't wait for the rest of your report!! You're so good at writing reports! Very entertaining!!
Bigger is not always better.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:44 am

Great report so far. It's nice reading first time visits to some of my local parks. Sorry to hear what happened on Grizzly though. I've always found that ride to have good days and bad days, so to speak. Looking forward to the rest of your report.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Volcano is like TTD - quite touchy and you never know when it's going to break down. And the ride cycle on The Crypt is insane. Tough luck on Grizzly! I had the same exact thing happen to me on it about 4 years ago and I swore I'd never ride it again. I don't care if it's in the woods and "an oldie but a goodie" because I seriously thought I had a broken rib. It's just not worth it and I'd rather use my time to take another spin on Drop Tower, Lumber Co or Volcano.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:14 pm

I really enjoy your TR's. You have a great way of describing your park experiences. Glad that you love Dominator. I very much miss it here (night rides on the shore of Geauga Lake, especially during Haunt, were near epic) though from my last rides on it at KD it did seem to have a little shake in the second half. Maybe that's been fixed.

Your experience with I305 is close to what I had when I was there in 2012. I was in awe when I first came face to face with it - just love the look of the beefy track and supports. Since I no longer fit on Millennium Force it had been a long time since I've ridden a giga coaster so I was a just a tad nervous as we rocketed up the lift hill. The ride is fantastic and took my breath away.

I also love that you liked Avalanche. That is sort of my "guilty pleasure" ride at the park. As you said it's nothing noteworthy but just a lot of fun especially through that twisty part after the straight section.

When I read that Grizzly took a bite out of you I wasn't expecting you to crack a rib. I had thought that maybe you somehow hit your hand on the tunnel.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!