Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

P. 161: 2Q 2019 Quarterly Report (Doing well 2Q)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Zero One » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:04 pm

ginzo wrote:
Electerik wrote:So...this company just buys other companies? And then...runs them? That's their whole purpose as a company?

Private equity firms, in theory, can have an advantage in that they don't have to run everything to look good for stockholders. In other words, they can try more long term strategies and not have to worry about Wall Street punishing them for a bad quarter or two.

From the WSJ article:

Apollo, which trades on a private exchange operated by Goldman Sachs Group, is expected to begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange early next year.

Of course this deal is all dependent on shareholder approval. Assuming the information in the article is correct, 700 million would be about 12.67 per share. Less than the 52 week high and far less than what it was way back in 2007 (and about half what I paid for it).

And I hate to break it to all you people ready to kick Kinzel to the curb: new owners doesn't necessarily mean new management. This isn't a hostile takeover so part of the negotation may involve certain people getting new positions with Apollo. And since Apollo doesn't have any park experience, it would make since to keep the old management team in place.

EDIT: Almost forgot, it MIGHT be a stock-for-stock transaction (since Apollo will be on the NYSE soon) but a cash only deal is also possible.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Cavs Fan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:12 pm

Bah Humbug.

I like Cedar Fair and that style of park. And now I shall be putting on my Hate Protection Suit.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby coasterdude2011 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm with you on this, I actually love the Cedar Fair chain. I just think they're very balanced amusement parks, but I'm really uneasy about this deal, we'll just have to see.

Postby wiyoh1984 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:02 pm

I can say for myself I almost fell out of my chair when I got the email from Cedar Fair investor relations " CEDAR FAIR AGREES TO BE ACQUIRED BY AFFILIATE OF APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT "

I am surprised yet considering the debt load that CF is under I can't say I didn't think a buyout or serious restructuring would happen, especially since CF announced they would be suspending dividends for 2010 and possible sales of a few of their parks to reduce debt.

As far as my shares are concerned I am indifferent, I'll be happy take the cash, or I will accept shares of Apollo. I have not shoveled a ton of money in shares.... I started buying when the shares were down to around $6.

Coming from experience working for a local company that was purchased by a larger company with virtually no experience owning and operating a bank, we did not see "major" changes until about a year and a half to two years after the merger.

IMO I really don't think it's time to speculate closure and liquidation of parks. If that were to happen it would be after Apollo really gets their hands dirty in the newly aquired company.

I've already planned to visit KD, CP, KI, and KBF next year, this aquisition will not change my plans by no means.

I honestly think all will be okay, I'd like to think that CF is looking out for what is best for its parks, employees, and shareholders......but I could be wrong....

Postby sros1fan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Swiminn6 wrote:It's amazing how these companies can run when there in so much debt, I mean $20 billion!? Wow!!!

Look at the US we are still going and the national debt is in the trillions. I bet it wont be long until all the CF parks have a Flashpass system! lol

I don't know the difference between waist and waste.

Postby CPmaverick » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:06 pm

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4246-7779
Simpsons Tapped Out: serialmaverick

My Mini Cooper > My User Name

Postby dammie16@vt.edu » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 pm

www.savethetrashcans.com

Many many trash cans will be rendered homeless by this deal. Please donate money to save the trash cans from this terrible fate!

On a serious note, like Inbev I don't think it will make much difference to be honest.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:12 pm

coasterdude2011 wrote:I'm with you on this, I actually love the Cedar Fair chain. I just think they're very balanced amusement parks, but I'm really uneasy about this deal, we'll just have to see.

While I certainly respect your opinion to like what you like..."balanced"?

A good mix of coasters and trash cans, perhaps? :P

/Cedar Point is like Wolverine.
//Figure that one out.
Erik Allen Elness

I get wet for Manta!

Postby themeparkman25 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:19 pm

I love the "Forward-Looking Statements" section. We believe that we should be able to turn this company around, but we cannot predict the future and you cannot hold us liable if these statements do not become true.

I think the unbelievable thing is the amount of turnover the past couple of years have brought in the industry.

Six Flags sells off numerous properties to Parc Management.
Busch Entertainment goes to Blackstone.
Cedar Fair to Apollo.

There are always opportunities out there, and though recessions generally hurt everyone, they do bring about a lot of change and hope.
Follow the construction of my Manta Model!.*
1/16/12 - Construction Complete!
*Model is being build from scratch.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:31 pm

What's funny to me is that after all the speculation that Six Flags, SFMM specifically, was going to be sold, we've seen Busch, Universal, and now Cedar Fair all sold first! :lmao:

There'll probably be some consolidation, but I think what we'll see the most of are actions meant to secure a lasting profitability and viability of CF's properties. To describe a park like Cedar Point as "as good as gone" would be a gross exaggeration at this point.

Knott's will likely benefit greatly due to its ability to be open year-round, and its proximity to Disneyland makes it an attractive potential recepient of major investment in the eternal struggle for marketshare. It'll be very interesting to see what this means for the future of KBF.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!