Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:38 am

^Lost River had a number of issues. It was actually a historical ride as one of the first, maybe THE first modern rapids ride. It was built back in 84/85 and was Intamin's prototype, or so I've been told. Not only was the channel old and leaky, but it lacked certain safety features with the loading setup since you loaded the boats in the water with other boats crashing into the back of the lineup.

It was such a popular ride though, there's no way they could just get rid of it. Hopefully they theme the heck out of it and set the standard for any other ride replacements to come.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 am

I found Lost River to be one of the better river rapids rides out there. It definitely hit the spot on a hot day.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby sdcfan88 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 am

I do hope the key word IS "rebuilt". Not replaced. Keep the name and theme and expand on themeing the heck out of it. (as Shave mentioned above) Make the layout larger and keep elements such as the cave finale and the big "first drop" off the lift. Maybe shrink the lake size and add a bit of the layout out there.

I was really surprised this happened, I expected Fire In The Hole, American Plunge, or Flooded Mine to go first as they apparently have their own aging and maintenance issues.

Also note with the loss of this (and Waterboggen a few years ago) expect the summer ride lines for American Plunge and River Blast to be atrocious in 2019. lol

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby sdcfan88 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 am

A before and after:
IMG_3515.JPG
A2.JPG

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:28 pm

I also posted this in the Dollywood thread but I figured I'd ask here too:

On the SDC website it says SDC passholders get half-off Dollywood tickets. That was part of what led me to buy a SDC pass earlier this year. Well my pass was stolen a while back and I haven't had it replaced, but I have my passholder number on the SDC app. Do I need to get a replacement pass from SDC first or is the passholder number enough? How should I go about getting the half-off Dollywood tickets or is it a lost cause because I waited too long?

I don't even see anywhere on the ticket purchasing website that gives the opportunity to purchase half-off tickets for SDC passholders. Is this something that happens at the front gate?
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Half off tickets are in park only and you have to show your SDC season pass to get it. SDC can replace your pass at guest services, but obviously for you that's a bit far. I'd give SDC guest services a call; they may be able to mail you one. 1-800-888-7277

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:10 pm

^Thank you for the phone number! I called both parks and it does look like it's Dollywood's call and they might want the physical pass. SDC did say that Dollywood might want to call them to verify the pass so I have to make sure and bring my photo ID even if I had the pass. The Dollywood rep said it's no guarantee but I should check at Guest Services because they have the phone they could use to call SDC. Sounds like it might be a no-go because I waited too long and won't have time to get a new pass sent but it's worth a shot I guess.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby TexasParkman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:18 pm

not to quibble....Bill Crandall- the former GM of Astroworld hatched the idea for River Rapids rides- Astroworld opened theirs in 1980. I am not sure what SDC is talking about- it sounds good anyway and really does not matter much.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:37 pm

^Ah, thank you. I know there was some back and forth on whether or not it was a prototype of someone's. Everything I've seen points to it starting construction in 1984, so Astroworld would have it beat. I wonder if there's a list of the Intamin installations and their years? It might have been one of the first three, I would imagine. In any case, it was old... perhaps the oldest surviving installation?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby DavidB » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 am

Six Flags did the Six Flags thing even 35 years ago and installed Thunder River at their other parks after the first one was a success.
Screenshot_20181214-074313_Firefox.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!