Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:41 am

^I totally agree with you...that loop was a respite compared to the rest of the ride!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 am

Based on RMC's success with New Texas Giant, as well as the new "track technology" they've developed, I'm pretty optimistic about Outlaw Run. If it delivers half the ride of New Texas Giant, I'll be happy with it (even if they are forced remove the inversion some day). ;)

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 am

SharkTums wrote:Been away on the TPR Trips the last three weeks so forgive me if I'm rehashing something...

Anyone think we could see a repeat of the 'Maverick inversion removal prior to opening' type drama with this ride? Or do we trust Rocky Mountain more?

Just a few weeks ago we were celebrating the tearing down of the only wooden inverting coaster and now we're celebrating this like it's the best thing ever. I will reserve my opinion till the ride is running!

I doubt there will be so many issues on this one because there is so much riding on this compared to that roll on Maverick. RMC has been doing all sorts of testing on this technology. To screw up now would be more than disastrous for both them and SDC.

This ride will definitely have a different feel to it than what some may expect. It's not going to be quite the same as any old steel coaster, but I am positive that it won't be rough or uncomfortable... at least in the first decade or so. I kind of wonder what it will be like in about 15 years, but we'll see.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:59 am

Shavethewhales wrote:
This ride will definitely have a different feel to it than what some may expect. It's not going to be quite the same as any old steel coaster, but I am positive that it won't be rough or uncomfortable... at least in the first decade or so. I kind of wonder what it will be like in about 15 years, but we'll see.

I'd like to try out your time machine sometime.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm

The calmness and confidence that Fred Grubb had during the media event told me everything I need to know...that not only will it work, it's going to kick so much ass that there won't be any ass left to kick.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby apatos99 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:
SharkTums wrote:Just a few weeks ago we were celebrating the tearing down of the only wooden inverting coaster and now we're celebrating this like it's the best thing ever. I will reserve my opinion till the ride is running!

In fairness, the inversion was the least of the problems with SOB. And I think RMC already has a much better reputation than RCCA ever did.

Yes, it wasn't the loop or even the 200 foot drop, but everything else. And the way I understand, it wasn't just RCCA's bad design, but the decision of KI to deliberately buy cheap pine and actually take over the supervision of building the thing. The last members of the 'super wooden coaster team' that designed and built the Beast and Grizzly, retired shortly after KI completed it.

The Rose Bowl was absolute torture.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 pm

KevinPage wrote:I'm asumming there will be an event here next year, so my questions is: I've never been to either WoF or SF StL. If I could only pick one of those parks, which one?

They both have a GCi, so it looks like it comes down to: do I want to ride The Boss or Mamba? My first reaction is The Boss.

( and if you recommend one over the other please keep it civil and logical. Thanks :) )

The Boss or Mamba?

How about The Boss or Prowler AND Mamba? If given the choice (and I've been to both parks numerous times), I'd choose WoF every time. Boss is OK when it runs well, but Prowler will make you forget all about it. Toss Mamba in there as icing on the cake, plus Patriot is decent and has one of the best top-of-lift OMG views ever.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:56 pm

^ This.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:46 pm

SharkTums wrote:Been away on the TPR Trips the last three weeks so forgive me if I'm rehashing something...

Anyone think we could see a repeat of the 'Maverick inversion removal prior to opening' type drama with this ride? Or do we trust Rocky Mountain more?

Just a few weeks ago we were celebrating the tearing down of the only wooden inverting coaster and now we're celebrating this like it's the best thing ever. I will reserve my opinion till the ride is running!

You're not the only one that has been thinking this. While it certainly looks interesting, no one can really judge how this inversion is going to work/feel until people are on it. I did really like NTAG, though, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:32 pm

I feel like NTAG was a proof of concept. A test if you will, to see how far this technology can go. It passed that test. The issue with Maverick was the speed it was taking the in line twist. I'm assuming that this should will take the double roll at a much slower rate. And because it is at the end of the ride, if it does have issues they can always trim it.

I'm willing get to bet it will be fine though.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!