Apparently the fire has been ruled accidental, but is still currently unconfirmed by officials. I also read somewhere that the fire was believed to have been started in an electrical box under Kohrs.
One thing I disagree with is how Christie is using relief money from Superstorm Sandy to clean up the debris removal. Why on earth would he use money desiginated for Sandy relief on an unrelated disaster? Parts of the shore, especially Ortley Beach (which is pretty much right next to Seaside Heights) are still devastated and have yet to bounce back. It is totally unfair in my opinion...I mean, they want the fire to be cleaned up and rebuilt by Memorial Day (which is pushing it I believe) but they should not be using money to clean up something that was completely unrelated from Sandy.
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. - September 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Law enforcement sources tell Action News the boardwalk fire in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights has been ruled accidental.
Sources also told ABC News the same ruling.
ABC News anchor David Muir tweeted the following Monday night: "#BREAKING Officials: Investigators ruling fire that destroyed major section of Jersey Shore boardwalk 'accidental' Via @ABC's Josh Margolin." New Jersey will use Superstorm Sandy-recovery money to pay for debris removal at the scene of last week's boardwalk fire.
No other details on how the fire started have been released at this time.
New Jersey will use Superstorm Sandy-recovery money to pay for debris removal at the scene of last week's boardwalk fire.
Gov. Chris Christie's administration said it hopes the extra aid will speed the rebuilding. Dozens of businesses were destroyed in the blaze on a boardwalk that had only recently been repaired from damage it sustained in Sandy.
"We're moving as swiftly and aggressively as we can to help these communities and their boardwalk businesses rebuild from this unfortunate stumbling block to our overall Sandy recovery," Christie said.
Christie called the damage to some existing structures a safety hazard that needed to be addressed quickly. He said that covering the cost of debris removal would allow governments and businesses to "get down to work immediately to restore one of the Jersey Shore's most iconic boardwalks."
The funding will be administered by the New Jersey Economic Development Authority through an existing Superstorm Sandy block grant program.
"The extensive damage caused by Thursday's fire has made the Seaside community's recovery from Superstorm Sandy all the more difficult," said Richard Constable, the state community affairs commissioner. He said his staff will work with local officials to determine which fire-damaged buildings are unsafe and need to be torn down.
State officials will be on hand Monday afternoon to offer assistance to businesses and residents affected by Thursday's fire, which destroyed four blocks of boardwalk businesses. Representatives from the New Jersey Economic Development Authority and other agencies will provide information at the Seaside Heights Municipal Complex.
Over the weekend Christie also pledged $15 million in state aid to the burned businesses, also using Sandy recovery money.
^Does it really matter where the money comes from? Taking from Sandy was probably a quick way to get money flowing. If they had to appropriate it, it might takes weeks until cleanup would begin. In the end it all comes out of the pockets of the people of New Jersey.
If you were a home owner who was affected by Sandy and has yet to receive aid or help from the government and you see this news, what would you think? I mean, granted, it is just for cleanup purposes, but it just bugs me that other people/businesses can use this money seeing that it is designated strictly for Sandy aid.
The official cause of the fire will be announced at a press conference at 2PM. So hopefully we will find out the EXACT cause of the fire then.
EDIT: The cause of the fire was apparently due to Superstorm Sandy. It caused unforeseen electrical issues that shorted out and sparked the fire. Therefore, I'll retract my statement about the money being used from Sandy Aid. Sandy caused this fire in reality, so ya, I don't see any problem using some money for cleanup efforts.
Damn, this guy is like Michael Myers and came back a year latter for more shenanigans.
Lavallete man climbs Slingshot ride in Seaside Heights
A Lavallette man was arrested Tuesday evening for climbing to the top of the Slingshot ride at the FunTown Amusement Pier in Seaside Heights, according to a report from the Asbury Park Press.
This is the second time Christopher Angelo, 38, climbed an amusement park ride in Seaside to place an American flag on top. In January, Angelo climbed the JetStar Roller Coaster while it was submerged in the ocean right off the pier after Hurricane Sandy.
Angelo made his way to the top of the Slingshot ride during the Light Up New Jersey commemoration on the one year anniversary of Sandy, the report said.
After Angelo came back to the ground, Seaside Heights police arrested him on a disorderly conduct charge, Police Chief Thomas Boyd told The Press.
While Angelo had the proper equipment to climb safely, Boyd told The Press that “you still can’t do that.”
These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment, Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.
photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by
a professional ride photographer.
For yours and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at
parks without proper permission.
You need a sense of humor to view our site,
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER! There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13." Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.