2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

Wow, I don't know why I did it, but I came out to my parents in 8th grade. It was probably the worst desicion of my life.

From what you said about your parents, I can totally understand why you would feel like coming out at such a young age was a bad idea. On the other hand though, take comfort in knowing that less than a handful of gay teens actually have the courage to come out during middle/high school, so you should be really proud of yourself. That is an achievement in itself! It might suck now to be living with people who just do not understand you, but know that there is so much out there once you become independent from parental control! The time will come sooner than you think! =]

Wow, I don't know why I did it, but I came out to my parents in 8th grade. It was probably the worst desicion of my life.

From what you said about your parents, I can totally understand why you would feel like coming out at such a young age was a bad idea. On the other hand though, take comfort in knowing that less than a handful of gay teens actually have the courage to come out during middle/high school, so you should be really proud of yourself. That is an achievement in itself! It might suck now to be living with people who just do not understand you, but know that there is so much out there once you become independent from parental control! The time will come sooner than you think! =]

Wow, thanks, it makes me feel good to hear that.

^ My mom was crying hysterically, she thought she was going to die, she started screaming, she fainted after crying a while.

WORST EXPIRIENCE OF LIFE.

I hope I never have to see my mother like that again.

Oh wow...that's *slightly* on the crazy side. I mean, there's "overreacting" and then there's...that.

My mom just told me that it'd be an "adjustment" (though all that's changed is that she knows more) and to be safe no matter what I do. That was coming out number two. Since then she's mentioned me dating some girlfriends though...

^My parents don't want to accept it for anything in the world.

They've been making me see a therapist since like a month after I came out to them, the last time I saw him was yesterday, Not kidding. My siblings don't know anything.

I sometimes feel like I just wanna get out of the house, just leave, like I can't take it anymore. I long for the day that I finally move away.

My mom has asked me if i wanted to go see a therapists because they think they can turn you straight. I always bring up when she said she'd love me no matter what when she'd questioned me the third time, so i always say, "If you love me no matter what then what does it matter if I like boys or girls? I don't think she'll ever get over it...

Even the most liberal, heterosexual parents - dads especially - take pride when their kids follow culturally ingrained gender roles, and when kids don't, things feel strange. A friend of mine came out to his parents (who are surprisingly socially liberal) when he was 16, and his parents are only now (he is 23) getting used to the fact that he is gay. There is still a bit of tension in the air whenever his boyfriend is mentioned, but it was much better than it was before when he first came out of the closet.

Yea, my mom claims that, but it doesn't seem like she actually means it. I mean, if you're going to say something like that, then don't yell at me in a manner that's going to tear me apart on the inside, making the situation 10x worse.

You said earlier, that your mother was quite religious... so it shouldn't come as a surprise with her acting the way she does. In your mother's defense, I'm sure she still loves you very dearly, but is just having a hard time adjusting to the fact that you do not fit the 'heterosexual' mold that she probably envisions for you. You just need to give it time. I'm sure she'll come around eventually.

^I don't think my mom OR dad with ever accept or adjust to me being gay.

It usually takes a lot of time....my dad is a pastor of a Pentecostal church and he loves me very much...it just took him a while to get use to it. My friends all went through the same thing...but it is better to come out after high school.

Only Time...just Time

Well people as odd as it seems, even if I said I was straight a LOONG time ago, I have official considered myself bi, and thought I should let all my fellow forum members nowknow. But shhhhhh...only my bestest friend knows (I think my mom knows too) (and maybe my sister).

Phew! That feels better.

Well that's not exactly what i want to come home to.

Got home from breakfast with a few friends and my parents found out I was gay. They found an electronic journal entry on my old computer, now my moms. I have a hard time telling if they're really OK with it, but from what i can tell they're alright. They don't hate me, but might still be in denial .

Although its sometimes really nice for them to find out without you having to tell them...

then again sometimes its definitely NOT.... considering i went through something similar and i just denied denied denied.

Which is actually odd becuase i'm really open about it with everyone BUT my family.

Its just that, i know they wouldn't care either way, but it would just make things different and i'm totally afraid of change... that and my mom would try to be the obnoxious over supportive mother that tries too hard to be accepting. omg i'd hate that.

My mom is always telling me "you know, if you're gay thats totally alright with me". Even though I'm not, which is kinda weird but it's nice to know that if I were she'd be accepting. Especially since I know my mom gets grossed out by gay people showing affection.