TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

From What I've heard, All the wooden coasters are getting RMC Track. Anything to lower operation costs to use that money for anything besides park improvements. Indiana Beach, Proving Once again Mt. Olympus isn't the only park that go from great to sad in 5 years.

Huh? Lowered operating costs means more money for improvements. Not to mention this could mean less downtime during the operating season. How is this a bad thing???

From What I've heard, All the wooden coasters are getting RMC Track. Anything to lower operation costs to use that money for anything besides park improvements. Indiana Beach, Proving Once again Mt. Olympus isn't the only park that go from great to sad in 5 years.

I, too, am detecting a flaw in your logic.

I mean they're trying to cheap out on capital.

Proving Once again Mt. Olympus isn't the only park that go from great to sad in 5 years.

I've not had many of the issues that others seem to have with Mt. O, and I like the place, but I'm not sure that great is the adjective I would use to describe it at any point since I first went there as a kid. Benign is the first word that pops into my head.

I am still detecting a flaw in your logic. The park has to put its money to the best use possible, and they believe that it's best to hire RMC to re-track their wooden coasters, thus lowering operation costs and improving the park (if it works out as planned).

Why do you have an issue with that?

Are you trying to say they're only investing in their rides just to lower their operating costs but skimping out everywhere else? I think I see what you're trying to say, but their park problems reach far elsewhere. They've been having what seems like control issues that reach back from 2011 (go back in the thread a few pages). I don't think it has as much to do with their capital or operating costs or anything like that.

^Yes, I agree with that. But at least it appears that they've learned from some past mistakes (for example, by moving the chair swings back to their original location on the water).

IB has had management issues for some time, but I don't think retracking their woodies is a "bad" sign.

^ Very much agree. I think this is a very positive sign they're moving in the right direction to restore the park after a few years of miss-management.

So, my question is that has it been confirmed that all the wooden coasters are receiving RMC treatment, or just Cornball Express, and if so what kind of treatment is being given?

So, my question is that has it been confirmed that all the wooden coasters are receiving RMC treatment, or just Cornball Express, and if so what kind of treatment is being given?

I think Cornball is the only one that's been confirmed, based on the park's Facebook page.

It's nice to see more work being done on rides like Cornball. I really hope this park turns around. It's got a lot of potential, but definitely left a ton to be desired at my last visit a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure some of you remember how I ripped this park a new one last year on one of my PTRs not to mention the taco experience

With that said, the park at the time wasn't a lost cause but it looked to be headed that way. It's refreshing to see money being sunk(finally) into the rooms at the hotel, rides being serviced and receiving fresh parts, not to mention all of the various rides receiving fresh paint this year. It was a shame to see what the park had become on my first visit, including the valley in the tunnel on lost, but after seeing and hearing first hand all of the work that is going into the park this off season I will certainly give them a second chance.

I haven't yet been to Indiana Beach yet, even though it's the 2nd closest park to me. I've heard stories though about the place, mainly was things like maintenance and operations being terrible. Basically got the feeling everything was going downhill at the park and that Steel Hawg was the only highlights of the park. Hoping I do get to go this year now that there are some decent improvements going into this year.

I haven't yet been to Indiana Beach yet, even though it's the 2nd closest park to me. I've heard stories though about the place, mainly was things like maintenance and operations being terrible. Basically got the feeling everything was going downhill at the park and that Steel Hawg was the only highlights of the park. Hoping I do get to go this year now that there are some decent improvements going into this year.

Even during the glory days of the prior ownership, operations were never a strong point. Nor was the park always spotlessly clean. But the park had a unique charm and a ton of great rides. Plus they put on a fantastic coaster enthusiast event.

"Plus they put on a fantastic coaster enthusiast event." -- I miss those days!

But I agree with what others have said, it's pretty great to see the park taking an active role in improving things. I don't think I went at all in 2012, but I will go this season.

Cameron.

I absolutely LOVED my visit to IB back in 2004 but was thoroughly disgruntled to hear of more recent reports. It sounds like the park might - MIGHT - be finally getting their act back together this year. We'll see...fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of great happenings at Indiana Beach this year! The swings have been relocated over the water (where they belong, IMO) and the Falling Star should be working later on in the year as well. As far as the coasters, all 3 woodies have been heavily retracked thanks to our friends at Rocky Mountain Construction. The splash battle ride may actually be operating this summer as well. Lots of little things are being fixed around the park, and the rooftop lounge is receiving a complete overhaul and will be brand new for this season! The park is investing a lot of money this year, making 2013 THE YEAR to check out Indiana Beach!

We are thinking of tying in this park after we visit Holiday World before heading to Cedar Point in June. I will be curious to know how the retracking of the coasters has turned out....definitely can't be a bad thing, right?

Cornball received some work from RMC back in 2011 and right after it rode really, really well. I'm very anxious to get back there this year, although with graduating from Purdue, I don't live nearly as close anymore. I am very happy to hear all the great news from Monticello in 2013!