TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I'd love 350 ft a lot more.

Yeah, but you can't judge rides like that or you'll never be satisfied with anything... "Top Thrill Dragster? I mean... it's okay, but I'd love 800 feet a lot more". I mean, I've ridden Zumanjaro, Falcon's Fury, the towers at KD and KI, Lex Luthor and a ton of other huge drop rides but my favorites are Demon Drop (131 feet) and StraosFEAR at Knoebels (148 feet) so personally I think there's a lot more to these rides than height. Plus all drop towers are fun regardless of height, I don't think I've ever ridden one that I didn't like. I'm sure I'll even like this stupid crap that Hershey is building.

I have to agree here. I've been on Lex Luthor (not sure if that or Zumanjaro is the tallest, but without nitpicking, they're basically the same height), and it was fun. I've been on S&S towers and Intamins, the Gyro Drop at Kings Island--but my absolute favourite? Zero-G, the ARM tower at Beech Bend in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Only 80 feet tall, but it scares the sh*t out of me in a way some of those bigger ones don't.

On a side note, I really want to ride Demon Drop. It's basically the reason I want to go to Dorney.

I've been on S&S towers and Intamins, the Gyro Drop at Kings Island--but my absolute favourite? Zero-G, the ARM tower at Beech Bend in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Only 80 feet tall, but it scares the sh*t out of me in a way some of those bigger ones don't.

Zero-G is 140ft. That and the 120ft ARM tower at KK are my favorite drop towers ever for the same reasons you stated! I'm excited for Dollywood to get a drop tower! The park's uniqueness stands out even further with getting a Funtime Skyfall instead of an ARM, Intamin, or S&S tower. I saw some videos of them and they look pretty great.

I´m pretty curious to see how this tower compares to the other types. I agree that the Larson/ARM towers are some of the best. Even the small portable ones are better than your average Intamin 2nd-gen and S&S towers. Intamin 1st-gens are insane as well. Larsons and Intamin 1st-gens are easily the best towers aside from Zumanjaro in my opinion. Tower of Terror would also rank above them, but I consider it as more of a dark ride. But yeah, I never tried a Funtime drop ride.

^The seats and OTSRs are pretty minimal so you actually float a little, there's a bit of a hood on the top of the vehicle so you can't see the tower when you're sitting on the ride, you don't stop at the top so the drop has some extra surprise factor, and the lack of a pause also gives you a little bit of extra air. The best part is how it doesn't brake until you're at the bottom of the tower, so it feels like you jumped off a building and slammed into the ground and broke your spine and died.

Does anyone know at what temperature the coasters/rides close at Dollywood? I plan on going Wednesday, and temperature will be hovering around 40 during the day, and then drops to 35 at night.

Officially I believe it's 36, but they will close at higher temps is icing is likely, or it's really slow.

Lubrication is another issue and it's possible that some rides need higher temps.

Neither of us have been. Any recommendations for us?

What do you like?

All the coasters are fun and unique. Ride them early before the temps drop.

How acclimated to Ohio weather are you? May want something to cover the ears on the coasters (and of course coats and gloves). I use this style: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41p2RXnCkmL._SY300_.jpg

Like weight but block the wind well. The bands made for skiing would work well, but I don't like stuff on my forehead.

Eat lots of cinnamon bread from the Mill.

Does anyone know at what temperature the coasters/rides close at Dollywood? I plan on going Wednesday, and temperature will be hovering around 40 during the day, and then drops to 35 at night.

Officially I believe it's 36, but they will close at higher temps is icing is likely, or it's really slow.

Lubrication is another issue and it's possible that some rides need higher temps.

Oddly they don't list that on their site, at least that I've found. SDC has an FAQ that details exactly, helps with planning. Their stuff goes down anywhere from 32 to 42 degrees, so I would expect Dollywood would do the same. In my experience, B&Ms tend to have the highest temperature guidelines, so that plus its location, I'd say Wild Eagle will be first to shut down.

Oddly they don't list that on their site, at least that I've found.

Not sure why it's not on the site. In cold weather they put out signs that say 36 (or have in the past).

But others here have mentioned seeing things closed at higher temps (search the thread).

I usually deal with the cold issues in March. Haven't been in December.

Sure great view though it won't clear WE with the hills, but you will have the view longer.

Don't get me wrong I'll ride it. Especially when the lines are long.

I rode the original Freefall at Magic Mountain in the mid 80s and had a blast, but I was ~12 at the time.

Between WE and LR I was hoping for a bit more wild/extreme.

Actually, I did some basic calculations using google earth and 200' from the top of the tower will be a little higher than the loop on WE but not quite as high as the lift hill. So YES it will clear the hills and get you a pretty good view. My biggest complaint of WE is that you dont get to enjoy the view for too long. This should do the trick.

Sure great view though it won't clear WE with the hills, but you will have the view longer.

Don't get me wrong I'll ride it. Especially when the lines are long.

I rode the original Freefall at Magic Mountain in the mid 80s and had a blast, but I was ~12 at the time.

Between WE and LR I was hoping for a bit more wild/extreme.

Actually, I did some basic calculations using google earth and 200' from the top of the tower will be a little higher than the loop on WE but not quite as high as the lift hill. So YES it will clear the hills and get you a pretty good view. My biggest complaint of WE is that you dont get to enjoy the view for too long. This should do the trick.

Apparently Dolly is holding a live telethon now on the Great American Country channel (which I just learned was a thing and apparently we get it) and on the Nash Fm stations.

You can text "Dolly" to 501501 to make a one time $10 donation. That's my public service announcement for the day.

Apparently Dolly is holding a live telethon now on the Great American Country channel (which I just learned was a thing and apparently we get it) and on the Nash Fm stations.

GAC is a music video channel. Came about after Viacom ruined CMT (was CMTV).

It's also on RFD TV, AXS, Heartland, and at least one Nashville TV station (WATE). Streaming on Facebook too.

It was announced back on Dec 3.

http://wate.com/2016/12/03/dolly-parton-organizes-nashville-telethon-for-sevier-county-fire-victims/

I was there a few weeks ago and it got down to 35.. only ride that closed was Mystery Mine. 35 was the reading of my car thermometer so give or take a few degree's. MM actually closed when it was slightly over 40 degrees but closed at first as a Temporary Closure according to the app.. but never opened back up..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

Oddly they don't list that on their site, at least that I've found. SDC has an FAQ that details exactly, helps with planning. Their stuff goes down anywhere from 32 to 42 degrees, so I would expect Dollywood would do the same. In my experience, B&Ms tend to have the highest temperature guidelines, so that plus its location, I'd say Wild Eagle will be first to shut down.

Wild eagle is one of the last to Shut Down during my experience there when they close. I have ridden it almost an hour after Tennessee Tornado and Mystery Mine closes for cold weather.. I have ridden it down in the mid to low 30s

Edited by dstephe9

You also have to factor in that Dollywood "technically" has a height restriction of 200ft, however they seem to get around it a bit here and there.

What do you mean Dollywood has a height restriction?

I don't think Dollywood actually has a height restriction per say but the area has one on hotels and attractions downtown ON THE PARKWAY.. it can be waived and is usually waived for places like Dollywood. I thought the restriction was lower than 200ft though.. actually, I'm pretty sure it is 80ft actually for buildings and stuff.

I was at a town meeting one time (I have to go for the Boy Scouts sometimes) and this came up.. it's basically so no one comes in and builds a giant tall towering resort and blocking views of the Mountains.. it's not really a hard limit but one you have to obtain special permission to get around. They mentioned Dollywood at the meeting I was at and said it would be waived for most of the projects they plan unless it's a hotel some other tall building

So it's not like some parks that have limits because of Airports being close or something.. it's just a city ordinance

Edited by dstephe9

Here are the official rules taken from the City Ordinance Book.. but see this is all based on the parkway and all that good jazz.. again, not really for Dollywood (but Dollywood does have to apply for permission). Nothing in the book mentions any area outside of the parkway and my understanding is that the restrictions are for the parkway for views (I also confirmed from the same document that everything else other than attractions are limited to 80ft.. this includes hotels)

Dollywood already has a lot of stuff much higher than 200ft as measured from the parkway, but like I said, the main reason for this rule is not to block views of the Mountains

712.3.2: Amusements: provided all amusements are less than two hundred (200) feet tall as measured from ground level at the Parkway (Highway 441). An emergency evacuation plan must be submitted with the site plan showing evacuations routes/areas and procedures for an emergency call and scenarios for rescue. Any amusement over 85 feet in height must have a fall zone or setback area equal to its height or 200 feet, whichever is less. The fall zone means an area free and clear of any other amusement, land use or structure. The fall zone may be included in the development’s set back area; however, parking lots may not be located in the fall zone. As a special exception, a waiver may be approved for the one amusement over eighty-five (85) feet in height subject to the owner/operator submitting calculations and documentation from licensed professional engineers which confirm the structure will meet or exceed the designated requirements for the region and that the amusement meets ASTM F24, DIN or equivalent requirements. Fall zones must be noted on the site plan. No such waivers are permitted for any development that proposes to have more than one amusement over eight-five (85) feet in height. Each amusement over the one waiver permitted must have a fall zone setback of one foot in setback area for every one foot in height for each amusement. The fall zone must be an area free and clear of any other amusement, land use, structure, road, or parking area.