TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Does anyone know if Lightning Rod closes with the steel coasters or does it run in lower temperatures?

Like I said, it was still running a few weeks ago around 35ish BUT they did have someone at the door limiting the amount of people who came in.. I am sure it was about to close.. it ended up not closing that night but when I left it was in the low 30s

Like most people are saying 36 seems o be a good rule of thumb.. I have seen them leave the rides open to empty the lines (but not let anyone else back in) around mid 30s.. Unless the temps drop fast, I don't believe it'll be one of those "to cold everyone leave" type of closing.. they will try their best to let everyone in line ride

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I believe 36 is when they cant operate, 42 is when they open and I'm pretty sure it also has something to do with the computers/block systems. I was told that by an employee on new years this year.

If that's true then that's new. It's always been 40 at HFE and Cedar Fair parks (though there are a few random things at SDC that are different, 50 at Hershey because they're a joke, 42 at Busch parks and at Six Flags parks the policy is that when the temps drop down, don't frown because Batman's about to turn your world upsidedown.

(Actually it might have been when the "floor" drops down... I always get those words mixed up)

Does anyone know if Lightning Rod closes with the steel coasters or does it run in lower temperatures?

We don't really know yet. This is it's first cold season. They might close it early or try to keep it open longer.

I'm pretty sure it also has something to do with the computers/block systems. I was told that by an employee on new years this year.

The employee may have been speculating or repeating speculation heard from someone else.

Problems are usually air lines freezing (depends on how good the driers are in the system) and the lubrication making things sluggish. Extra drag on the wheels would eventually prevent the ride from making the full circuit. Depend on how active they are about changing the lube as the temps get lower.

A few notes from my visit tonight:

It's a Wonderful Life was a great show! It even got a standing ovation.

The park was dead today, we didn't wait for any rides and none of the shows were full.

Lightning Rod was closed all day. I didn't ask anyone why it was , but it was definitely warm enough for it to be open.

Talking to one of the hosts at Barnstormer, it was evident that many people had canceled their reservations at DreamMore due to the wildfires. Hopefully they will rebound soon.

Cinnamon bread was good as usual.

I think the lights had been scaled back from years past. It was like they put all their lights at the front of the park and then ran out once they got to the back near Tennessee Tornado and Firechaser.

Waltzing Swinger was being put back together. It appeared that they should have it up and running within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the notes. I'm planning on driving up from Atlanta on Friday, does anyone have any inside info why LR was down today? Tomorrow regardless if its fixed or not I don't think it will operate with highs in the low 30's . My entire goal for the trip is to ride it so I guess it's always a bit of a gamble if it will be open or not.

I drove up about a month ago and it was closed. It was during that 2 week period where people speculated it was sensor issues and I think there was a unconfirmed DW tech who updated and said some of the same.

TIA

The park was dead today, we didn't wait for any rides and none of the shows were full.

Lightning Rod was closed all day. I didn't ask anyone why it was , but it was definitely warm enough for it to be open.

Talking to one of the hosts at Barnstormer, it was evident that many people had canceled their reservations at DreamMore due to the wildfires. Hopefully they will rebound soon.

I think the lights had been scaled back from years past. It was like they put all their lights at the front of the park and then ran out once they got to the back near Tennessee Tornado and Firechaser.

Waltzing Swinger was being put back together. It appeared that they should have it up and running within a couple of weeks.

They have done that for the past few years with lights, I know I mentioned it a few years ago. It seems like they "wow" at the front and then run out.. I know the old part of the park they like keeping it traditional with the white lights but the new part with wild eagle and fire chaser is dead when it comes to lights

^^ Oh man I hope it's not closed for my visit! Anyone else going this week who can give an update?

When are you going? Brit and I will be there next Thursday so I'm in the same boat. If you're there at the same time, come say hi. We'll be the ones marathoning Wild Eagle at night once everyone else gets cold and stops riding.

Anyway the Dollywood App shows wait times and ride status when you're not in the park (unlike every other park's app) so I would suggest downloading that. That's what I did.

^^ Oh man I hope it's not closed for my visit! Anyone else going this week who can give an update?

If it is, then it'll support it's reputation of hashtag I'm not going to do it but you know what I'm thinking!

I was there Sunday and Tuesday from about 7 - 9 PM. It was down a bit on Sunday, and Tuesday had rain and 40 degree temps. That meant I had about half a dozen rides with the train to myself. Good times.

If it is, then it'll support it's reputation of hashtag I'm not going to do it but you know what I'm thinking!

I was there Sunday and Tuesday from about 7 - 9 PM. It was down a bit on Sunday, and Tuesday had rain and 40 degree temps. That meant I had about half a dozen rides with the train to myself. Good times.

We don't really know yet. This is it's first cold season. They might close it early or try to keep it open longer.

Yes we do, the coasters close for temperature all the time, usually a little after the sun goes down. It closes when the other coasters close, so far we've had enough temperature closures this year to make that determination. Keep in mind that they're all slightly staggered since their weather stations are in different locations. Tornado usually reaches the low temperature threshold first, Wild Eagle usually reaches it last, Thunderhead gets their info from Mystery Mine so they go down at the same time (according to that awesome old lady that's always running Thunderhead). I don't know where Lightning Rod falls into that but they all close right around the same time.

Actually this season, up until this week they haven't closed much. (I haven't been this week or this past weekend which have been our coldest nights) but I have been there about six nights the past few weeks and the only ride closed during my visits was Mystery Mine.. the coldest night according to the thermometer in the car (so give or take a few degree's) was right around 35 and the coasters were still running aside from Mystery Mine. Mystery Mine closed early right before dark as a TC (temporary) but finally changed to CD (For the Day) around 7:30 so it's closure might not have been due to temp.

LR did have someone stationed at the door around 8 making sure the line didn't get to awful long but it never ended up closing when I left after the parade around 8:30 (watched the parade them used the bathroom under LR and it was still running before heading out)

Keep in mind though, most nights I have been there have lingered around 40 degrees aside from the one night around 35

This past week we have had some very cold nights but I haven't been at the park those nights so no idea if things closed or not..

But like everyone has said, the weather stations are located in various places around the park.. The parking lot is in a valley so the thermometer on my car was probably reading slightly low when it said 35 in the parking lot and then said 34 in town.

This has just been my experience with the cold weather this year and closures at Dollywood

When are you going? Brit and I will be there next Thursday so I'm in the same boat. If you're there at the same time, come say hi. We'll be the ones marathoning Wild Eagle at night once everyone else gets cold and stops riding.

Anyway the Dollywood App shows wait times and ride status when you're not in the park (unlike every other park's app) so I would suggest downloading that. That's what I did.

Ah we're going this Saturday! Reward for making it through my first hellish grad school finals week, plus I'll be back in CA next Thursday for the holidays, but once Cedar Point and KI open up again, maybe we'll get to see you guys! After the awesome Labor Day weekend we had, I'm highly considering making it a thing every year.

Sounds like the rides can be unpredictable when it comes to the cold, but it looks like they're open 11am-9pm, so hopefully we'll have some warmer hours in the middle (except for the predicted rain some time) so maybe we'll at least get on everything once (hopefully more!) If everything does stay open, sounds like we'll get plenty of rides to ourselves.

Now to go take one of said hellish finals

Yes we do, the coasters close for temperature all the time, usually a little after the sun goes down.

I've yet to see a single post about any of the rides closed for temperature this year.

Since it's the first season for LR we only have speculation as to what temperature they will run it down to.

But sure, sundown on cold days is a good rule of thumb.

As it is we can't get a specific temperature. The park signs say 36, but many reports of them closing at higher temps.

And many reports of them running when it's colder.

I've yet to see a single post about any of the rides closed for temperature this year.

It happens at least a few nights a week. Nobody's posting about it but you can see it if you check the app since it shows ride status regardless of whether or not you're in the park.

The coasters won't open at all today due to the low temperatures but tomorrow they'll likely be open and close later on so you should be able to see it then.

Edited by coasterbill

It happens at least a few nights a week. Nobody's posting about it but you can see it if you check the app since it shows ride status regardless of whether or not you're in the park.

Currently I'm in bed asleep at that time.

It's 22:48 here.

Makes sense, but people just don't post about it because it's not news, it's pretty much routine at Dollywood. At Great Adventure it would be major news since it's still never happened* but at Dollywood it's standard operating procedure.

*(unless you count tomorrow night but they closed the entire park because it's going to be 17 degrees and they know they'll lose money, not because they care about the recommended operating temperatures for their rides)

Right now the app has them all closed CW (closed for weather) but right now where I am at its 28 ha-ha.. I'm sure Dollywood is probably setting at 25 right now (I'm in Knoxville)

Tomorrow though looks like temps will get into the 40s

If I buy a 2017 season pass now can I use it for admission for the rest of 2016? We're headed up tomorrow and the season pass page doesn't mention it.

Also what's the process for converting the printed confirmation to the actual passes? Do we do this before the gate or do you go through with your printed pass and get your passes in the park? If it's before does the pass office open a bit early so we can run to LR at rope drop. Fingers and toes crossed that LR will be up and running tomorrow!

Thanks y'all!

If I buy a 2017 season pass now can I use it for admission for the rest of 2016? We're headed up tomorrow and the season pass page doesn't mention it.

Also what's the process for converting the printed confirmation to the actual passes? Do we do this before the gate or do you go through with your printed pass and get your passes in the park? If it's before does the pass office open a bit early so we can run to LR at rope drop. Fingers and toes crossed that LR will be up and running tomorrow!

Thanks y'all!

1) Yes, if you buy a 2017 season pass, you get the rest of 2016 free.

2) Season pass processing opens a little earlier than the park, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I think you can get this done either in the park or at the front gate. There is one office next to the ticket booths and there is another office inside the park in Adventures in Imagination (just look for the huge picture of Dolly, you can't miss it). You can also get this done at the Pigeon Forge information center at traffic light #8. They open at 9 am I believe.

Thanks y'all!

1) Yes, if you buy a 2017 season pass, you get the rest of 2016 free.

2) Season pass processing opens a little earlier than the park, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I think you can get this done either in the park or at the front gate. There is one office next to the ticket booths and there is another office inside the park in Adventures in Imagination (just look for the huge picture of Dolly, you can't miss it). You can also get this done at the Pigeon Forge information center at traffic light #8. They open at 9 am I believe.

May thanks for the reply!