TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

• 1 month later...

Ride Entertainment Systems has sent us a press release about the newly opened Adventure Mountain, including some great photos of this awesome looking attraction.

Dollywood Opens Adventure Mountain

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee: On Friday, March 27 Dollywood opened its “Adventure Mountain” ropes course to the public. The course utilizes Ropes Courses, Inc.’s, patented Sky Trail® system throughout the experience. This system, one which revolutionized ropes courses worldwide, allows guests to be hooked into the safety system and traverse the course as at their own pace. It eliminates the “carbineer clipping” system often associated with ropes courses and opens the experience up to a wide range of guests.

Jim Liggett, president of Ropes Courses, Inc., said, “We are thrilled to partner with Herschend Family Entertainment on such an exciting project. After building a custom course for their Stone Mountain property they came back and asked us to help them design the world’s largest ropes course for Dollywood. Of course we were only too happy to oblige.”

“Adventure Mountain” contains over 100 challenging elements spread across three adult courses and “Camp Teachittoomee”, which is a scaled-down course for children. The courses consist of:

Geyser Gorge: The easiest of the three courses is punctuated by geysers that spray up from the rocks below.

Black Bear Cliff: This area’s most unique feature is a narrow ledge that guests conquer high above Wilderness Pass.

Rocky Top Trail: This is the highest of the three courses and offers a wonderful view of the park, and a bell that guests ring to note their climbing accomplishment.

Ropes Courses, Inc.’s theme park projects are handled by Ride Entertainment Systems (http://www.rideentertainment.com).

DSCN2042.JPG.582f7fb952bb48d87490063164034c60.JPG

DSCN2048.JPG.a46a7964c06df19646e6a9b80244d6de.JPG

DSCN2055.JPG.6b4f5a14480bd311d4294c791fdad9a8.JPG

DSCN2057.JPG.d4dab6449cc90bf9644760a7727166ca.JPG

DSCN2049.JPG.c29698122acd379d6850c836221037bb.JPG

Edited by jedimaster1227

I was there sunday and took on Adventure Mountain

Due to the rain that had just swept through the park most people had left and only about 40 remained in the park. So about 5pm we got in line for Adventure Mountain which was a walk on with many

re-riders. They were able to quickly get my group strapped up and we made our way up the first set of stairs.

When you get to the top of the stairs you have 3 levels to choose from. 1 being the easiest and 3 being the hardest. So we decided to work our way up by starting with level one. This course heads towards Mystery Mine and is fairly easy. The thing I like about Adventure Mountain is there is 4 options on each crossing including a wooden Bridge for those who don't like a challenge. The first half is easy and when you climb to the second half a staff member explains one of the harder crossings. (Got snagged so I backed out of this one) the rest is also pretty easy and they dump all three courses onto the same platform and make you go all the way down to the ground level where you have the option to stay to the right and go back up or go left and they unstrap you.

So we went again on to the second level which goes in the direction of Tennessee Tornado. This level started off pretty challenging. But the best part of the course is just before you climb the stairs you have an option to take the cliff walk which takes you out of the structure and over the midway along a steel beam and around some fake rocks designed like a real cliff. Than you go back across another steel beam which this is where the pouring rain really upped the challenge because the steel became very slippery (We had two that fell). The rest of the course was also pretty challenging.

We went back down and back up for the last level. Level 3 goes behind the mountain and up the hill. When up there you are about 20 feet off the ground but this is fairly easy. And when you climb to the second half you reach another option to go down some rope stairs or go straight across at about 40 feet up to ring the bell. I choose to go for the bell. My friend went across with no problem but I was stuck behind a kid who wasn't sure if he wanted to do it or not. A staff member was giving advise to the kid who went about a foot across before changing his mind so I made my way and it was a little scary but not very challenging. I made it across and rang the bell than went down to meet up with the rest of my group.

Over all it is a really fun experience which can be done in about 45 minutes. And is included with your park admission. So I highly suggest it but it is not exactly a capacity ride so on a busy day expect a decent wait for the ride.

Also I heard Dolly canceled the media event. Apparently she came out and said it was too cold and went back inside lol....

^LOL at that last line.

Thanks for sharing that report with us. Adventure Mountain seems like a really unique addition, and I can't wait to take it on! I just wish they would have found a way to hide all of that exposed steel...

Adventure Mountain really looks great!

A lot of smaller things were done to the park as well that make it much better. The exhibition hall (next to Daredevil Falls) is now "Hall of Memories" which has memorabilia from the parks 25 year history, including vehicles/cars from past rides such as Thunder Express and the Flooded Mine, and a lot of other cool things to look at for those theme park history buffs including a time line that compares what was happening in the world at the time of each Dollywood addition. You can also get your photo taken with a digital version of Dolly in the Hall of Memories. Dolly's Closet got remodeled. Friendship Gardens as been reworked so Showstreet does not have the bottleneck effect that it use to have during festivals. According to Dollywood's Facebook page the DIY network show "King of Dirt" worked with the park to remodel the flower bed and will air on the DIY Network May 9th at 9 p.m. eastern. The Dollywood Emporium has lowered its shelves, painted, and moved and remodeled things. Just a TON of small things that really make the experience better.

Also according to local tv stations and papers the Hallmark Channel will be shooting a 25th Anniversary special at the park that will include Dolly, Kenny Rogers, Billy Ray Cyrus, and Miley Cyrus. Dolly will be filming her last appearance in April for Hannah Montanan's final season which she announced opening weekend along with promoting the new "Dollywood Vacations" brand and stating that the park will still be doing a resort and spa in the future (that she announced was in the '20 year plan' in 2005) but will still be holding off for a bit.

A lot of Video, audio, and pictures can be found of opening weekend here: http://www.dollymania.net/wood10-a.html

Dollywood also announced via Facebook that the 3rd annual "Thrills in the Hills" event is now open for online registration and if you register by April 16th you get free parking for the weekend. Link to event: http://dollywood.com/dollywood-q10222-c10214-Thrills_in_the_Hills.aspx

*EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention that you theme park memorabilia collectors may love, you will notice new banners hanging on the light posts this year featuring this years theme "Celebrate The Dreamer In You!" with the logo, and Dolly Parton. They have the same banners for sale at Dolly's Closet for $50 (they are double sided) and you can get your Gold Season Pass discount on them which is $10 off...they were selling pretty good opening weekend...I've already got one hanging in my room.

• 1 month later...

Dollywood has sent us a few press releases in the last few weeks (one of which I was a little late to post) about their latest happenings...

East Tennessee native and longtime Nashville resident Dolly Parton announced plans today for Dolly Helps Nashville, a fundraising weekend set for May 22 and 23, with net admission proceeds from her Dollywood and Dixie Stampede properties in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. earmarked for Music City flood relief efforts.

Parton will make several special appearances at various theaters and locations throughout Dollywood and at Dixie Stampede to greet guests who visit for the weekend event.

“I grew up in the Smokies in East Tennessee, which was my first home. I moved to Nashville 46 years ago and that is my home now," Parton said. "I have family and friends in both places, and when one place hurts; I think it is just right for the other to help. On May 22 and 23, I'm having my Dollywood and Dixie Stampede companies help me host my Dolly Helps Nashville weekend. The net proceeds from the admission of the guests to Dollywood and my Dixie Stampede in Pigeon Forge will go to a special fund to assist Nashville flood victims. We're especially going to concentrate on those folks who lost their homes and personal possessions in this terrible flood."

Davidson and three surrounding counties were declared federal disaster areas after record-breaking rainfall on May 1 and 2 devastated the area and destroyed homes and businesses. With strong roots in the Nashville community, Parton felt the impact of the natural disaster and organized Dolly Helps Nashville to aid those displaced by the flood.

“So many of the folks from Nashville come to the Smokies to vacation; over the last 25 years, they have helped Dollywood, Dixie Stampede and Dollywood’s Splash Country and this entire vacation area grow," Parton added. "That's why it's our turn to help.”

Parton is calling on other East Tennessee businesses and attractions to show their support as well. "I am challenging other businesses in Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and Gatlinburg to make this a destination-wide effort."

Parton also issued a plea to her fans to help the fundraising effort reach its full potential. "I want all of my fans worldwide to come to Dollywood the weekend of May 22 and 23," Parton said. "If you can't be there in person, then I hope you'll donate to flood victims through the Dollywood Foundation online at http://www.dollyparton.com.

For more information on the flood relief effort, please visit http://www.dollyparton.com. See Dolly's video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGa_V6OGYNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGa_V6OGYNY

It should also be noted that tomorrow, the proceeds from the above efforts will be donated by Dolly Parton to aid the flood victims. We'll have more news on that soon.

WHAT: The World’s Largest Swimming Lesson

WHEN: Thursday, June 3, 2010, at 10 a.m.

WHERE: Dollywood’s Splash Country water adventure park

WHO: Dollywood’s Splash Country & the Sevier Aquatic Club

WHY: As the water warms and families turn to area lakes and pools for summer recreation, Dollywood’s Splash Country and the Sevier Aquatic Club are joining the World Waterpark Association to spread the word that Swimming Lessons Save Lives™ by participating in The World’s Largest Swimming Lesson.

To build awareness about the vital importance of teaching children to swim to help prevent drowning, The World’s Largest Swimming Lesson will take place at waterparks, community pools and aquatic facilities across the country and around the globe on June 3, 2010, at 10 a.m. (EST) in an attempt to break the Guinness World Record™.

Dollywood’s Splash Country guests are invited to participate and help break the Guinness World Record for The World’s Largest Swimming Lesson.

• 3 weeks later...

Dollywood is a great park.

I had no issues with TT being ruff.

A few things that are "must's".

The coasters.....duh....All of the coasters in the park are worth doing.

The shows........they have great shows.

The food..........If you like southern cooking, then I would recommend eating at grannies buffet, or ham and beans.

The train ride....This is the biggest, and most beautiful train ride that I have been on at any amusement park.

Also make sure to do the mountain sidewinder slide ride.

The employees are of Disney caliber or better.

Check out the bald eagle sanctuary.

Give yourself a full day to do it all. They also may still offer the "get there after 5 the day before, and get the next day free". I am not 100% sure if they still offer it, but it's worth checking into if your going to be in the area anyways. I really can't think of many negative things about this park. If I had to pick one thing to skip if your tight on time, I would skip the 3-D attraction. It is not all that good, and pretty ruff.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any question, go ahead and ask...I have been there a dozen times in the past few years.

The most important thing is to go in knowing what Dollywood is- it's not an amusement park, it's not even a theme park per se... I have always said it's its own special breed- an entertainment park. What that means is there is a little of something for everyone but the entire experience must be experienced in order to get the full impact of the park. Be sure to take time to catch a few shows while there, especially 'Sha-Kon-A-Hey!' if it is running while you visit.

And yes, they still offer the 'After 3, next day free' promotion- buy your general admission after 3PM and the next day is free! The only downside is having to pay for parking twice...

In other Dollywood news, there was an hour long TV special on WATE/6 the ABC affiliate in Knoxville last night regarding the 25th anniversary of Dollywood- Dolly let us in on the fact that the Resort Hotel project was a go until the economy dipped, they fully intend to get that project going again here soon. They also wish to add production facilities to the park in which potential 'Dolly Parton Production' shows could be filmed right from Dollywood. The Pigeon Forge City Manager said that a MAJOR project is in the works for the next decade or so... what that equates to is anyone's best guess, but it will be outside Dollywood or Splash Country- personally, I envision the resort hotel being a part of an entertainment/retail district similar to Downtown Disney, they could potentially relocate Dixie Stampede there as well... I dunno, just my idea.

Otherwise, be sure to catch another hour long special on the 25th Anniversary of Dollywood that will be airing nationwide on the Hallmark Channel on July 3rd and an entire episode of 'Bert the Conquerer', a new show on Travel Channel, to feature Dollywood on July 9th. The park is getting alot of exposure this year!

• 3 weeks later...

The Hallmark Channel will be showing the 25th Anniversary of Dollywood tonight (July 3rd) at 8:00pm EST. The show will have performances by Dolly, Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus. There will also be footage of the park and it's history, but not much else was mentioned. Have to make sure to DVR this one.

• 3 weeks later...
TAnd yes, they still offer the 'After 3, next day free' promotion- buy your general admission after 3PM and the next day is free! The only downside is having to pay for parking twice...

Not if you ride the trolley. Do what the cheapskates do while on vacation I always say. The trolley ride up is mere quarters (pretty sure it was 75 cents when we were last there a couple years ago) and you can park for free at the trolley depot right off the parkway in Pigeon Forge.

Not if you ride the trolley. Do what the cheapskates do while on vacation I always say. The trolley ride up is mere quarters (pretty sure it was 75 cents when we were last there a couple years ago) and you can park for free at the trolley depot right off the parkway in Pigeon Forge.

Ah, sorry. I always forget about this, seeing as I have been a Gold Passholder for many years now, I park for free everyday...

The Dolly Trolley is probably the greatest value in the whole Smokies! I always ride it to DW if I go by myself to the park and know I won't need to return to my car until the end of the day. It was just $.50 a ride a few years ago and looks like it still is according to the trolley website: http://www.pigeonforgetrolley.org/fares.html

Have there been any hints from Dollywood about next year's new attraction? I don't seem to recall any hints so far. Keeping my fingers crossed for that Sky Ride from the lower area of the park up to Wilderness Pass.

Edited by thrillerman1

Have there been any hints from Dollywood about next year's new attraction? I don't seem to recall any hints so far. Keeping my fingers crossed for that Sky Ride from the lower area of the park up to Wilderness Pass.

Rumor has it they will be installing a Giant Swing, where? I dunno exactly.

Hints:

"It will deliver the mail"

"You might have to keep your head down "

Screamscape Articles:

Screamscape article from 7/4/08:

Barnstormer (S&S Screamin’ Swing themed in a giant barn with old fashioned barnstormer planes)

Screamscape article from 6/28/10: (nearly 2 years after the previous article)

Good rumor was sent in by a reader taking in a relaxing visit to Dollywood this weekend. Being from the Branson area, they showed off their season pass from Silver Dollar City to get a discount on the tickets. Upon seeing this the Dollywood employee asked them what they thought of the Great Swing ride at SDC? Why? Because Dollywood is apparently getting one for 2011. Great news for sure if they follow through, so now the question is… where will it go?

Other minor "changes" to take note of:

If you go to dollywood.com and click on the ride/attraction descriptions for either the Slidewinder, the tiny tots playground area, or the Dreamland Forest Treehouse, you will notice that all three of these attractions seem to be closing up for the year after Labor Day weekend on September 6.

http://www.dollywood.com/ride-q66-Dreamland_Forest_Treehouse.aspx

Usually this area and Slidewinder close late/the end of September...

My Prediction:

My bets on Giant Swing due to the success of the one at SDC, these two articles from Screamscape, and Dollywood's "hints". The whole barnstormer plane idea goes with this as well.

We visited the park back on July the 5th. It had been 11 years (my daughter was a baby) since we were last there and I could not get over how much they have added. Even though I had followed the addition of each ride through the website here, and from Dollywood, I still didn't realize they had added an entire new section of park over the years.

This truly is an awesome park-much more "Disney-like" than your typical ride park. GREAT themeing everywhere. Exceptionally friendly park employees, who always strike up conversation. Fun, unique rides. Can't wait to go back again!

Shari

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.themountainpress.com/view/full_story/8955195/article--Dollywood-abuzz-about-new-ride

Dollywood abuzz about new ride

5101_DW_Barnstormer_7.jpg.ae4245e9d983cae4fec67f573ef9dc32.jpg

PIGEON FORGE — Dollywood is preparing for a barn raising, quickly followed by the arrival of their newest attraction in 2011 — the Barnstormer. The $5.5 million giant swing will be situated in a barnyard-themed area which will also include play area for younger guests.

The Barnstormer pays homage to the daring aerialists and stunt pilots of the 1920s and is designed to give its riders an idea of what being a passenger in one of the planes would be like.

“I remember my daddy and granddaddy talking about the old barnstormers that used to do all kinds of crazy stunts above the fields where they’d work crops,” Dolly Parton said. “My new Barnstormer ride offers folks those same breathtaking moments, high in the sky above Dollywood. And I’ve recreated a critter-themed barnyard that reminds me of growing up on the farm here in the Smoky Mountains!”

The ride features two pendulum arms with seating for 32 riders. Seated back to back, riders travel progressively higher on each swing of the Barnstormer’s massive arms, reaching a maximum speed of 45 miles per hour and 230 degrees of rotation. At its peak, the Barnstormer reaches 81 feet in the air, taking riders high above the barn’s rooftop and the area’s treetops.

The one-acre project will be located in the area currently occupied by Dreamland Forrest and adjacent to the Mountain Slidewinder, one of park’s most popular rides which opened in 1987. The Barnstormer will rest amid a traditional red barn on the Owens Farm, a nod to Parton’s family’s rural upbringing.

While the Barnstormer fills the air above the barn, children’s play areas dot the landscape around the barn. With a fun, barnyard theme, children can enjoy a 22-foot by 16-foot bi-plane play area as well as a pig pen water play area.

The Barnstormer has a ride capacity of 450 passengers per hour, and a 45-inch minimum height requirement. It also includes a custom-designed ADA seat.

The new area opens in March 2011 to usher in Dollywood’s 26th operating season.

The number one ticketed attraction in Tennessee, Dollywood is an award-winning 150-acre family adventure park located in Pigeon Forge near the entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Open nine months a year (late March to early January), Dollywood hosts four of the South’s largest festivals and offers more than 40 rides and attractions, including Thunderhead, twice named the world’s No. 1 wooden coaster, and Mystery Mine coaster, Theme Park Insider’s 2007 Best New Attraction. In addition to the 2009 Golden Ticket Award for Best Shows, Dollywood is the recipient of 15 Big E Awards in recognition of the park’s live entertainment which features country, bluegrass, gospel and Appalachian music. The Golden Tickets’ 2007 Publisher’s Pick for best theme park, Dollywood also is a two-time winner of the Golden Ticket Award for Best Christmas Event. In addition, a dozen crafters authentic to the East Tennessee region demonstrate daily.

For more information, visit http://www.dollywood.com.

Read more: The Mountain Press - Dollywood abuzz about new ride

I personally cannot wait for this ride at Dollywood... Since I am a season passholder!!! This seems like it will be a perfect fit in the former Dreamland Forest or should I say the new Owens Farm! Even though it looks to be a copy of the SDC one, I believe this one will be overall better due to the better name, theme, location, and the kiddie area revamp!

Edited by robbalvey

^ Ditto!!! That's one of the attractions that makes Dollywood so speacial IMO.

It sounds like they are taking out Dreamland Forest...or did I misinterpret that? I'm a little surprised if so since it always seemed like a popular kids area whenever I've been to the park.

The new attraction sounds like a great addition, and I like the idea of incorporating a kids play area into it.

This sounds great.

I like the cedarpoint version of this ride. The only concern I have, is the 450 people per hour. The line for this thing is going to be crazy long.

I think they have the same version of this ride at silver dollar city.