TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I'm just kinda trying to figure out whether or not QBOT will be necessary during my visit. With it being a weekday and before the major summer vacationing gets into full swing I'm thinking not.

Just get to the park at open, make the loop around the park and then judge the crowds from there. As long as you are there at rope drop, you should be able to get on all of the coasters without waiting more than a couple of trains.

I wouldn't expect the Memorial Day weekend crowds to arrive until that Friday evening.

Edited by ernierocker

When I went this past Saturday the park was full to the brim. (Parked in an almost full "F" lot and the park had only been open for an hour. F is the last lot). Rides however only had 15 - 20 min waits except for Mystery Mine (Slower loading that regular coasters) (45 min wait most of the day), Wild Eagle (I waited 42 mins for my first ride), and Blazing Fury (30 min wait).

Everything else was less than 20 minutes on a very full day. As the lines got longer I started watching shows (Mystic India was my favorite but that is over now) and 2 hours before closing the coasters dropped to almost walkon lines. Eagle only had a 5 min wait at that time. I crammed tons of rides in during my last two hours. (6 - 8 PM).

Like mentioned, the best advice for Dollywood is to wait and see. Lines seemed to be a little longer this weekend because of some teen music conference in Gatlinburg. A lot of kids from this conference where there. I saw tons of band, choir, and other music shirts from all over the country. Most of those schools left early resulting in the short lines after 6

During the weekdays in may, I have also found this the case. Local schools will be there but usually leave around 3 or 4 leaving the park very empty except for show viewers and shoppers. I actually love going during the weekdays in May bc of this reason

^ front row for wild eagle, or back row inside seat. It's sadly gotten fairly rough in the outside seats compared to last season. Mystery Mine front row inside seats, thunderhead anywhere is fun, Tenessee Tornado I believe everyone says row 13 is the magic seat, front row of the second to last car but it delivers a pretty solid ride anywhere.

Can't go wrong with any of the food there but i always enjoy Miss Lillians Chicken Buffet for food and a good laugh. Be sure to ride the Mountain Slidewinder and have fun.

Eat the giant pizza between thunderhead and mystery mine. Also, any of the buffets are great. They include your drink and desert. Don't forget Dollywood also offers free ice water at almost anywhere that offers drinks. All you have to do is ask. Plan to stay until closing. Most of the rides become walkons an hour or two before closing.

If you want more time at the park don't forget that if you enter after 3 or 4 (depending on closing time) your next day is free with the same ticket. So if you have time on the day you arrive (if staying in town overnight) that's an option for extra time in the park.

The last time I was at Dollywood the only two roller coasters they had was Tennessee Tornado and Blazing Fury. My how its grown! I would love to get back. I had a blast back in 2002, and I can only imagine how much more fun I would have now with the three awesome coaster additions! I'm hoping for next year!

Other than a possible Verbolten type deal, I am also thinking a prototype RMC launched family wooden coaster.

It just seems right

It just seems right? Where are you getting that idea? I personally think that a prototype B&M coaster with six-across forwards-backwards seating, floorless trains, wooden supports, lap bars, seventeen inversions and a potato-powered launch seems right.

In all seriousness, I hope whatever gets put in makes up for the loss of Adventure Mountain. That was my #2 reason for wanting to go to Dollywood (the first being Thunderhead and the third being the apparently-awesome food).

Other than a possible Verbolten type deal, I am also thinking a prototype RMC launched family wooden coaster.

It just seems right

It just seems right? Where are you getting that idea? I personally think that a prototype B&M coaster with six-across forwards-backwards seating, floorless trains, wooden supports, lap bars, seventeen inversions and a potato-powered launch seems right.

In all seriousness, I hope whatever gets put in makes up for the loss of Adventure Mountain. That was my #2 reason for wanting to go to Dollywood (the first being Thunderhead and the third being the apparently-awesome food).

Yes i was waiting for this response, haha its more of an outstretch of the mind. The "It'll be a BLAST"

just seems like a launched coaster. Assuming its a family attraction since its replacing AM, and why not have RM in the mix. They built a spectacular woodie at SDC the 'sister' park so to speak

I was there Thursday. It looks as if they are going to be keeping the Adventure Mountain (I can't say those words without tearing up.) Themed Fire Towers, as that is essentially all that is left of the structure. As of now, it seems that all the fake rock work is staying as well. I also noticed that nothing has been touched in the little kids area out front. I hope they keep that for the kiddies.

On another note, they were training employees and practicing rescue procedures on Sky Zip. One of the riggers told us that they hope to have it open here in the next few weeks. As soon as they could fully certify the entire Zip Line staff.

Aside from that, Dollywood was it's usual awesome self. Rides = **** Food = **** Shows = **** Staff = ****! Slidewinder was giving awesome fast rides on freshly rehabbed sleds.

On the good side, Jarett was already talking to ride leads about going to work there in Oh,16. On the bad side, he was talking to me about getting his drivers liscense in Oh,16. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! He's going to be 16 in 3 years.

Guy "You all have been warned!" Koepp

There us always hope that they get a Powder Keg type ride. But my guess is going to be a mouse in a box, especially if they are only going to use the Adventure Mountain footprint. I too am sad to see Adventure Mountain leave the park so soon. It was such an awesome, yet terrifying, attraction.

There us always hope that they get a Powder Keg type ride. But my guess is going to be a mouse in a box, especially if they are only going to use the Adventure Mountain footprint. I too am sad to see Adventure Mountain leave the park so soon. It was such an awesome, yet terrifying, attraction.

Dude! I love you bro, but with all due respect. I have to give Hershend the benefit of the doubt here. I say that it will definitely not be a mouse in a box. Especially with everyone there at tha holler saying all they're told, is it's gonna be a one of a kind ride. Like nothing here in the states.

I don't remember reading anywhere that it was only going to use Adventure Mountain's footprint. There is going to be a lot of excavation involved, hence the high price tag (more expensive than Mystery Mine...) so the area should look quite a bit different when it is finished next year.

Supposedly, it will stretch from the former Adventure Mountain location all the way over to the area opposite River Battle, if I understood correctly in some of the initial announcements that Adventure Mountain was closing.

Given that there are now rumors of sister park Silver Dollar City set for another major coaster addition in 2015, I can't help but wonder if something like this will happen:

Dollywood-gets family friendly coaster of some type in 2014

SDC-gets their own version of Wild Eagle or something else big in 2015

Dollywood adds their own version of Outlaw Run sometime in 2016-2017

With the last two additions Herschend has put in, and the boost in revenue both are going to create (I know Wild Eagle considerably made attendance higher in 2012) I could see them being able to follow something like this.

Now I am wondering if whatever they end up doing at Dollywood in 2014 is some type of family coaster not yet built here in the US, or some new design altogether, it would not surprise me! It will be interesting to see if any hints show up during Thrills In The Hills in a few weeks...but I would imagine the park will keep things very quiet until later in the Summer.

I just came back from visiting some friends in Pigeon Forge, a couple of whom work at DW. They said DW is being pretty tight lipped with them about what's going on, but did say that whole little corner area around Adventure Mountain/Tennessee Tornado/Wild Eagle, will be totally different once this is done because that area gets a little congested on busy days. They also said they have been told the addition will include new restrooms, food (they didn't know if it's just concessions or a sit-down place, and more trees for shade. One friend is guessing that there's actually more than one attraction going in there - something small and something a little bigger. He said he's thinking the que for the bigger attraction will be closer to River Battle since one of the goals seems to be spreading out the crowd in that corner between Craftsman's Valley and Wilderness Pass. Thought I would throw that out there. I didn't go to DW this trip, but will probably be there before the end of the month. We also talked about the DW Express and the upper train circle. He said he can't really see it being used as a transportation device to get from one side of the park to the other, since it's a full-on steam train, but stranger things have happened.I tried not to ask too many questions; I know they get tired of talking about their work when I come visit.

^That's cool. I could see that corner getting a lot of attention. It does draw a crowd with the 3-Point challenge taking up part of that corner.

Another fansite mentions that a press release from Dollywood saying there would be a "huge announcement" this Friday. I've searched Dollywood.com's press room for the release, but i can't find it. Any TPR folks get a release from Dollywood??