TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I think if it will be the first wooden launch coaster it would be a family type one(like they say, a family attraction) with like a 40-55mph launch. Dont think they will make a wooden top thrill dragster here, but any wooden launch coaster would be sweet

Sunday, I wasn't able to get any of the employees to comment on the new ride. Not that I would trust a lot of them anyways but a supe and security maybe trusted. When I first saw the sign, first thing that came to mind was a blast coaster. I had even had a tower ride pop into mind to replace timber tower.. I have never been a fan of tower rides though.

The more i read I really hope its a new dark ride like a lot of you all have mentioned here. I have always loved dark rides and Dollywood has always done them really well!! Blazing Furry is still hanging in there and I loved the old prison boat ride from years ago!

On a side note, even with all the improvements they made over the winter, the carnival area is getting pretty dingy looking! They need to add something new there or at least touch up the paint on those rides!

The more I read and think about this, my suspicion is that this is either a dark ride or a family launched coaster (if it is a coaster at all). As much as I and many others would love to see an RMC in 2014, I just think it will be another couple of years, and they might put that over by the county fair, as that area really could use a "major" coaster/ride.

From what I read on Screamscape, the PowderKeg style coaster that the park had considered some time ago was slated to go in this area of the park. Add to that the fact that Powderkeg has the 42" height requirement, a tamer launch, and is said to be a good family coaster, along with the fact that currently the park has three steel coasters with inversions (Tornado, Wild Eagle, and Mystery Mine), one "beginner" coaster in Blazing Fury and the high intensity Thunderhead and that a family coaster would fill a void, and to me it makes sense.

Of course, it might not even be a ride. It could just be a new interactive area similar to what Adventure Mountain was. This will be very interesting to see.

If the employees are to be believed then there will indeed be a coaster going in the adventure mountain site. I overheard a security guard telling a family that by the time their one daughter was going to be tall enough to ride coasters there would be a be a new one at that spot. And another supervisor I asked said the rumors are a new coaster, he said a family one...idk if a RMC wooden coaster would be considered a family coaster.

SDC considers Powder Keg a family coaster.

Dollywood has always had an interactive area as long as i could remember. It makes since they replace AM with an interactive area. I dont see this new attraction being an interactive area though unless its a bigger AM type area. I see the ride being an adventure (the sign says next big adventure)and i dont see interactive areas as an adventure unless it is like AM.

Thats just my take on it.

Dollywood has always had an interactive area as long as i could remember. It makes since they replace AM with an interactive area. I dont see this new attraction being an interactive area though unless its a bigger AM type area. I see the ride being an adventure (the sign says next big adventure)and i dont see interactive areas as an adventure unless it is like AM.

Dollywood has had at least 3 (4?) different interactive areas in the last 20 years and they have all been replaced. The only other relatively new rides/attractions that have been removed/replaced is Timber Tower and the 4D cinema ride, if I remember correctly.

Timber Express only lasted 9 years but was nearly 20 years old when Dollywood acquired it. The flooded mine and log flume rides were pretty old, I believe, when they were removed.

While the interactive areas have always been popular, Dollywood doesn't seem to want to keep them around.

728215345_umwhat.gif.1bd998ba24d3e7c751702225fe65b14e.gif

While the interactive areas have always been popular, Dollywood doesn't seem to want to keep them around.

I think a lot of people get hurt on them.. I had a friend working 1st aid for Dollywood and he told me a lot of their injuries, most actually, came from the old ball pit interactive area. Maybe thats why they dont last long

Wonder how their attendance has been with the snow Monday and Today (Well I think they are closed on Tuesdays)? When I went Sunday it was dead. A lot of rides where running empty, even Wild Eagle had tons of empty Rows per train. Not just seats but rows

Bad week for Dollywood to open!

If the employees are to be believed then there will indeed be a coaster going in the adventure mountain site. I overheard a security guard telling a family that by the time their one daughter was going to be tall enough to ride coasters there would be a be a new one at that spot. And another supervisor I asked said the rumors are a new coaster, he said a family one...idk if a RMC wooden coaster would be considered a family coaster.

I sure hope you're right. It would be great for Dollywood to add a family coaster.

I don't see a RMC coming to Dollywood next year at all... I'm sure Herschend would want to see how Outlaw Run would turn out first, since it was kind of a 'risk'. Plus, Outlaw Run seems completely opposite of what I imagine something for the whole family.

I could see a RMC in the future though since Outlaw Run didn't have any problems and I haven't heard a single complaint yet! It'd be the perfect addition for the upper train loop in several years.

• 2 weeks later...
The more I read and think about this, my suspicion is that this is either a dark ride or a family launched coaster (if it is a coaster at all). As much as I and many others would love to see an RMC in 2014, I just think it will be another couple of years, and they might put that over by the county fair, as that area really could use a "major" coaster/ride.

From what I read on Screamscape, the PowderKeg style coaster that the park had considered some time ago was slated to go in this area of the park. Add to that the fact that Powderkeg has the 42" height requirement, a tamer launch, and is said to be a good family coaster, along with the fact that currently the park has three steel coasters with inversions (Tornado, Wild Eagle, and Mystery Mine), one "beginner" coaster in Blazing Fury and the high intensity Thunderhead and that a family coaster would fill a void, and to me it makes sense.

Of course, it might not even be a ride. It could just be a new interactive area similar to what Adventure Mountain was. This will be very interesting to see.

The S&S portion of Powder Keg is a great ride, the left over Buzzsaw Falls part isn't. Powder Keg is a finicky coaster that seems to be down a lot. This past Sun it was down and looks like some folks had to sit on the train for a while.

Outlaw Run isn't for the whole family no matter how much the marketing spins it. That is one intense 60 seconds.

Outlaw Run isn't for the whole family no matter how much the marketing spins it. That is one intense 60 seconds.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that Rocky Mountain couldn't build a family-style wooden coaster along the lines of Quassy's Wooden Warrior. Sure, they have a track record for building high-intensity wooden and steel coasters now. But, look at a company like Intamin, who has built their reputation on intense coasters like Intimidator 305 and Skyrush and who is also currently constructing several family coasters for this season.

If Dollywood wants it and the price is right, Rocky Mountain (or any other manufacturer for that matter) will build anything.

Hello everyone, long time lurker...first time poster.

I have been doing a lot of research for our first visit to Dollywood coming up in May. We will have 2 days at Dollywood and 1 day at Splash Country.

However, I wanted to come here and ask all of the experts a few last questions. Hope you can help!

1.) What order should we ride the coasters/rides? Any specific one to hit first? Mystery Mine?

2.) Any recommendations on where to eat?

3.) Any tips for Splash Country?

4.) Any other tips on the parks?

5.) Any tips for Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg? Something to see...do...eat?

THANKS!

Do you know what your dates are in May? That will help in answering some of your questions, like will it be on a weekend or Memorial Day weekend?

Really, the only difference will be rather you will need to buy a Q-bot not. I would probably just recommend unless it is completely dead (probably not going to happen) since they are so reasonably priced and can make your day go that much smoother.

Anyways, to answer some of your questions:

1.) What order should we ride the coasters/rides? Any specific one to hit first? Mystery Mine?

I would get to the park and be ready to enter the gates 15 minutes before the park opens especially your first day. You will be allowed to enter the main gate and go as far as the entrance to Timber Canyon. Once you are allowed to proceed, I would head straight for Thunderhead and Mystery Mine. You can then probably get to Wild Eagle before most of the crowd has made it to the back (possible re-ride if it still not crowded) followed by Tennessee Tornado and Blazing Fury. If you make it at open, you should have no problem doing all of this with only one/two train waits. Then, you can head back to the front if you can tell the park is getting crowded and buy a Q-bot. If it still appears to be dead, go ahead and ride Daredevil Dive and Barnstormer. After that, you have the Country Fair and the rapids right there so it is up to you.

2.) Any recommendations on where to eat?

Anywhere. You will not be disappointed. However, my favorites are Miss Lillian's Chicken House and Ham N' Beans. Be sure you get the cinnamon bread at the Grist Mill, believe me.

3.) Any tips for Splash Country?

I would probably recommend getting the new wristband Q-bots. This is their first year, so I can't really speak for experience, but I am sure with the park just opening for the season and the new water coaster, it will be well worth it!

4.) Any other tips on the parks?
If you are a shows person, Dollywood has some of the best. If you are there at the end of the May, after the 25th, the Bluegrass and Barbecue Festival will be going on. Lots of regional Bluegrass acts will be playing all over the parks and there will several bbq stands set up with different recipes. Get Cinnamon Bread. Ride the train. One of the few theme parks with an actual steam locomotive and is what started the park. Oh, and eat the cinnamon bread.

5.) Any tips for Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg? Something to see...do...eat?

If you are into beer, try Smoky Mountain Brewery. There is a location in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. There is also the Apple Barn which is a traditional Southern-style restaurant with amazing apple fritters. Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride.

Edited by ernierocker

Thanks for the quick reply!

We will be at SC on May 12th (Sunday) and DW on the 13th (Monday) and 15th (Wednesday).

We always get to the parks early, so that should't be a problem. Thank for the tips on ride order.

I have heard great things about the food, Miss Lillian's and the bread sound great!

Unfortunately, we won't be visiting during any of their festivals...but we wanted to go before most of the children get out for the summer.

We are staying in downtown Gatlinburg one night...right across the street from the brewery.

Thanks again for the help!

^For your dates, I would definitely take the loop around the park before worrying about the Q-bots. For your 2nd day, you can take the park at a slower pace and experience anything you didn't have time for on Monday. Be sure to check out all the shops in Craftsman's Valley which have live blacksmiths, craftsmen, etc. working in connection with the stores.

For your Splash Country day, that will the second day of operation for the 2013 season so the park will probably be slammed especially with the new water coaster. However, Dollywood is located smack dab in the middle of the bible belt so all of the locals will be in church until noon. Get there early and you should be fine until late morning. Then you can get the wristband.

If you are staying in Gatlinburg that one night, just be sure to walk the main drag. The Ripley stuff is all overpriced, but you will find PLENTY of stuff to do on your day off without getting in your car. If that morning is your day off from the parks, you might as well head to the Pancake Pantry. It is the most popular breakfast place in the area (there are a thousand!!!) and will have long lines, but damn it is good.

Edited by ernierocker

I would get to the park and be ready to enter the gates 15 minutes before the park opens especially your first day. You will be allowed to enter the main gate and go as far as the entrance to Timber Canyon. Once you are allowed to proceed, I would head straight for Thunderhead and Mystery Mine. You can then probably get to Wild Eagle before most of the crowd has made it to the back (possible re-ride if it still not crowded) followed by Tennessee Tornado and Blazing Fury. If you make it at open, you should have no problem doing all of this with only one/two train waits. Then, you can head back to the front if you can tell the park is getting crowded and buy a Q-bot. If it still appears to be dead, go ahead and ride Daredevil Dive and Barnstormer. After that, you have the Country Fair and the rapids right there so it is up to you.

I didn't know that Dollywood added another Eurofighter! SWEET!

On a side note, even with all the improvements they made over the winter, the carnival area is getting pretty dingy looking! They need to add something new there or at least touch up the paint on those rides!

I couldn't agree more. The entire Village and Country Fair areas are in need of a clean up/paint job.

While on the topic, areas of the park that are visible from the train need love, too! The old wooden fence between the Country Fair and old entrance road looks bad, the Rampage/Rockin' Roadway area needs attention, and the Celebrity Theatre building needs a wash and painting (and clean-up on the back side, clean those heat pumps off!).

The improvements made during the winter off season look great! The changes are most noticeable in the Entrance/Showstreet area. Fresh paint jobs have made a huge difference to this area.

I would hit Mystery Mind early. I visit the park 6 - 10 times a year and that ride is closed several times throughout the day on 3 or 4 visits a year. I have no idea why.

I also second the motion about not getting a qbot until you walk around the park. Dollywood is full of older people watching shows, shopping, and other activities. I have been when the parking lot is full to the brim but the rides are still walk-on or short 5 or 10 minute waits.

I always eat Aunt Grannies Buffet. Its about $16/person but includes drink, desert, and salad. The park also has great BBQ and a very very good pizza place beside Thunderhead. I mean GIANT pizza!!!! Also stop by the bakery at the front of the park. A lot of sweet treats!

Dont forget Dollywood also provides free water. just be sure to ask for it. Most of the food shops can provide you with this free ice water upon request. It really cuts down the need for constant sodas plus much better for you on a hot day. The shops wont give you a hard time about this free water and most are very open about sharing this policy with you

The aquarium is nice in Gatlinburg. You can actually save money on the Ripley tickets by ordering them online and you can save even more if you combine them with other Ripley attractions. There are plenty in gatlinburg! This might give you some good activities for Tuesday while the park is closed. I love the Aquarium and Ripleys haunted adventure (this is pretty kid friendly but scary at the same time)

Make sure you save a few minutes to walk the Gatlinburg Strip and shop.. Its actually kind of fun just seeing the weird items all these shops sale.

I couldn't agree more. The entire Village and Country Fair areas are in need of a clean up/paint job.

While on the topic, areas of the park that are visible from the train need love, too! The old wooden fence between the Country Fair and old entrance road looks bad, the Rampage/Rockin' Roadway area needs attention, and the Celebrity Theatre building needs a wash and painting (and clean-up on the back side, clean those heat pumps off!).

The improvements made during the winter off season look great! The changes are most noticeable in the Entrance/Showstreet area. Fresh paint jobs have made a huge difference to this area.

Yeah, a lot of the train area looked like old dumping grounds the last time I was on it. HAHA, that was over a year ago though! Its been a while since on Rockin' Roadway so I have no idea how its looking. The fair though is the worse. Parts of it are reminding me of a dirty 6 flags park this with how ran down and dirty it is looking. A clean paint job will fix that right up!

The entrance area looks great! Not sure how well I like the new season ticket scanners though.. i can see that slowing down the entrance. Instead of putting your card in and it spitting it out the other side you now have to manually take it out like you would an ATM before entering the gate.

No, screamscape is reporting that officials from Dollywood where in Europe last week probably visiting a blast coaster. No one knows what the new ride will be yet. A lot of us are also on the blast coaster rumor here. Mainly bc of the tease sign. But other rumors include a new interactive area or a new dark ride. Possibly a combination of both a dark ride and blast coaster. I will be going next weekend to see if there has been any other progress. Right now people arestill tust reporting that adventure mountain is still just being disassembled and that all construction items visable now are still just for that purpose.

No, screamscape is reporting that officials from Dollywood where in Europe last week probably visiting a blast coaster. No one knows what the new ride will be yet. A lot of us are also on the blast coaster rumor here. Mainly bc of the tease sign. But other rumors include a new interactive area or a new dark ride. Possibly a combination of both a dark ride and blast coaster. I will be going next weekend to see if there has been any other progress. Right now people arestill tust reporting that adventure mountain is still just being disassembled and that all construction items visable now are still just for that purpose.

They were at Europa Park according to that bit over there with the suggestion that they wee checking out Blue Fire. Has Herschend done much with Mack before?