TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I have been thinking this over, and there is no way...I repeat: NO FREAKING POSSIBLE WAY, that the recent refurbishments ruined or slowed down Lightning Rod to the extent where it is now a "forceless" coaster. My theory is that one of Taylor's friends happened to get a bad ride on it when it just opened to the public and the rumor snowballed from there. Many of the younger online enthusiasts are the same ones who told me last year that El Toro was running rough, which it was not. I mean, it's possible that Dollywood is pulling an I305 and running the ride cautiously until the off-season, but I refuse to join the lament-fest currently going on with this ride considering that I still see several comments saying that the ride still kicks A$$.

Can confirm.

It honestly doesn't feel different, not even slightly.

The big difference is that the ride seems to be running consistently now. From someone who has missed out on it a few times, that is what I really care about.

Agreed. Even in the highly unlikely event that it isn't as good now as it was before, it's 100% better than it was on my visit, when it was closed the entire time.

Went to Splash today and went over to Dollywood just to ride LR.. there doesn't feel to be a slowdown! The ride has always slowed down before the crest, but it's not trimming.. also, I rode two times and both times the GPS on watch read between 75 - 76 MPH, which are consistent with my readings last year. Give the margin of error GPS has and you are looking at 73.. I was in swim trunks so didn't have my phone with me to use it for a speed app.

On another note the had a Phantom Lightening strike somewhere within their warning zone about 4:45ish and that cleared out splash country!! So I ended up staying there much longer than expected due to being a ghost town after! Lol the attractions where only closed for 15 mins and the sun never went under the clouds.. I guess the lightening was somewhere in the mountains..

Did any of the coasters close at Dollywood during that time? I didn't have my phone with me to check haha

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Went to Splash today and went over to Dollywood just to ride LR.. there doesn't feel to be a slowdown! The ride has always slowed down before the crest, but it's not trimming.. also, I rode two times and both times the GPS on watch read between 75 - 76 MPH, which are consistent with my readings last year. Give the margin of error GPS has and you are looking at 73.. I was in swim trunks so didn't have my phone with me to use it for a speed app.

On another note the had a Phantom Lightening strike somewhere within their warning zone about 4:45ish and that cleared out splash country!! So I ended up staying there much longer than expected due to being a ghost town after! Lol the attractions where only closed for 15 mins and the sun never went under the clouds.. I guess the lightening was somewhere in the mountains..

Did any of the coasters close at Dollywood during that time? I didn't have my phone with me to check haha

I was talking to my grandmother sometime this afternoon about when we are going down to Tennessee, and there were a few rides closed for weather when I checked the ride times on the app (because I am a nerd like that).

Two trains away from front seat. Will see if it's also the same.

I was a train behind you. Are you the guy with the blond or the guy with glasses

Both!

All 3 of my rides were great.

The launch hasn't changed a bit.

Based on a few of our reports, I think it's safe to call this rumor false.

I think it's safe to say it's false.. several of us that have ridden it more than 4 or 5 times tested it today plus with IOE saying they know nothing about it and would have to be told or involved with the process, that's pretty much a given that it is false.. they where also the ones who debunked it last year and told everyone it wasn't being trimmed..

I was talking to my grandmother sometime this afternoon about when we are going down to Tennessee, and there were a few rides closed for weather when I checked the ride times on the app (because I am a nerd like that).

Probably the same time they closed the attractions at Splash then.. like I said, sun remained out and it was only closed for 15 mins, but enough to make people "run for the hills" because they thought a storm was coming.. my GF and I just got a pizza and relaxed beside the lazy river until we could get back in haha.. after that, everything, even tailspin was a walk on and slide!

I can also confirm it is still as wild as ever. It was always let off a little at the top. Also I can confirm the lighting package on drop tower looks awesome

I left before it got dark, I wish I stayed to see the lights on it! Running up and down waterslides though, wears you out

I can also confirm it is still as wild as ever. It was always let off a little at the top. Also I can confirm the lighting package on drop tower looks awesome

Has been there every time i have rode also(let off at the top), you just don't notice it as much in the front as you do in the back of the train.

Like IOE said last year, it's because the launch doesn't go all the way to the crest.. all you are feeling is the force of the launch stopping because the train has left the launch area

Maybe the dude had his expectations so high that when they weren't reached he assumed the ride was slower?

It definitely feels the same, you don't notice any slow down in the front, but you do in the back. It's simply gravity, not trims.

Maybe the dude had his expectations so high that when they weren't reached he assumed the ride was slower?

It definitely feels the same, you don't notice any slow down in the front, but you do in the back. It's simply gravity, not trims.

That now is what I am thinking. The dude probably thought it was 47 mph all the way to the top (like Hulk). If LR was going 47 mph all the way up, the top speed would probably be 80 or more.

I got a night ride on Lightning Rod tonight and the only bad part of it was the Lightning Bugs hitting you in the face.

It was very hot and humid today and probably really put the cooling part of the launch to the test. It was 90 with a humidity level of like 90%. The fireworks are as good as ever and dropLine doesn't run during the Fireworks due to being close to the place they set them off. As I said earlier the Lightning package is great with a lot of movement and color changes. My pictures do t do it justice. I will post a picture of Lightning Rod later.

Edited by Djwadeknox