TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ But... not from this?

Dollywood should have used Unicorn Barf, but decided to go with a new company for the launch that used a prototype Unicorn Farts.

There has been speculation that the Unicorn Fart will be replaced by a traditional Horse Fart instead, seeing that the Unicorn Fart is not performing to the desired specifications.

Did anyone go yesterday or today? A new rumor is going around that the launch has been slowed down a lot.

Heard this on that coaster studio guys instagram.

Surely they wouldn't give up their record of the fastest wood coaster, slowing down the launch would surely make the rest of the ride slower.

Alright, I watched a POV from when it opened and I could definitely see it was way faster at the top of the launch then it was today. The launch still was full speed today but near the top trims kicked in and slowed it down. I don't think this change is temporary.

Alright, I watched a POV from when it opened and I could definitely see it was way faster at the top of the launch then it was today. The launch still was full speed today but near the top trims kicked in and slowed it down. I don't think this change is temporary.

I seen the post from the account. Claims the launch was slowed down, and the train slows down at the top and barely makes it over the top. Comments under were saying they were at the park and the the pre drop and drop's air were pretty much gone now. I hope this isn't true at all because that's what kicks your entire ride off is being ejected out at the start.

If the speed is going to stay this way and isn't a temporary solution like I305's trims, then they might as well have not built this ride. Nobody wants a forceless, airtimeless version of a coaster this size.

Did anyone go yesterday or today? A new rumor is going around that the launch has been slowed down a lot.

That sounds like a BS rumor you'd see on a 15 year-olds roller coaster instagram.

Except it's not. There is testimony from many many people. I think your elitism is going a bit far don't you think?

^ Do you ever make a good post? You haven't even ridden it (possibly at all, definitely not since it reopened) so this...

then they might as well have not built this ride. Nobody wants a forceless, airtimeless version of a coaster this size.

... is ridiculous when you haven't even experienced it.

I'm sure this ride is still awesome. Honestly I was never overly impressed with the first drop anyway. It's fun, but not in the same league as a ride like El Toro. I'm sure the second half of the ride is still balls out insane, and that's the best part anyway. This reminds me of when they slowed down El Toro's lift and everone lost their collective sh*t. In my experience it didn't change the ride experience at all. This might be a slightly more noticeable change (emphasis on might) but I'm sure this is easily still the best coaster at Dollywood (and I love every single coaster at Dollywood).

PS: Oh, and stop acting like this is coming from "multiple sources", chickenbowl is totally right... you posted it here because Coaster Studios posted it. I won't hate on Coaster Studios but it's run by one (I think) college kid who hasn't even personally ridden the new version and is operating on hearsay.

So if the launch has truly been slowed down at the top, that means there was a possibility that the ride was going way above speed..

With that being said, I think the trim break rumor also surfaced some last year and the programming company said there weren't any trims at the top (or said those where just for emergencies or something if there are some) and the slow down you felt was just normal because the launch wasn't installed all the way to the top of the lift..

I'll have to look up the post later when I have time, I just remember they spoke of it

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

^ Do you ever make a good post? You haven't even ridden it (possibly at all, definitely not since it reopened) so this...

then they might as well have not built this ride. Nobody wants a forceless, airtimeless version of a coaster this size.

I'm sure this ride is still awesome. Honestly I was never overly impressed with the first drop anyway. It's fun, but not in the same league as a ride like El Toro. I'm sure the second half of the ride is still balls out insane, and that's the best part anyway. This reminds me of when they slowed down El Toro's lift and everone lost their collective sh*t. In my experience it didn't change the ride experience at all. This might be a slightly more noticeable change (emphasis on might) but I'm sure this is easily still the best coaster at Dollywood (and I love every single coaster at Dollywood).

PS: Oh, and stop acting like this is coming from "multiple sources", chickenbowl is totally right... you posted it here because Coaster Studios posted it. I won't hate on Coaster Studios but it's run by one (I think) college kid who hasn't even personally ridden the new version and is operating on hearsay.

So basically you're going to accept mediocrity? Sorry but I don't. I think it's a terrible idea to slow the ride down.

So basically you're going to accept mediocrity? Sorry but I don't. I think it's a terrible idea to slow the ride down.

"Accepting mediocrity", dude relax its a roller coaster. I highy doubt its a medicore ride now cause they made one slight change to the ride. Parks have made changes to El Toro, Maverick, I305 and Skyrush, they're all still great. Even if he was "accepting mediocrity" (Whatever that means) its not like you have the option to change the ride back. It is what it is. If it gets their huge investment running consistantly who cares?

So basically you're going to accept mediocrity? Sorry but I don't.

1) You haven't even ridden it (I REALLY can't stress this enough)

2) You have no choice but to accept it. What's the alternative? Bitching on the internet expecting the park to care? Even if they did care (and I ASSURE you that they don't) if they did this to somehow make it more reliable (which is obviously the purpose of whatever they're doing... they even posted that on their website) then if they listened to you and it went back to being broken for months at a time then you'd still be bitching.

So for those who "refuse to accept mediocrity" (and by mediocrity we mean a coaster that's still easily one of the best coasters on earth I'm sure) what's the plan? Are you making picket signs and marching in front of the gate? Are you refusing to spend your money at Dollywood even though you probably weren't going there anyway. What?

If this is true and if this is permanent (marginally likely at best) then you should probably ride it before freaking out. I'm sure it's still awesome. If anything this will just be an excuse for annoying coaster enthusiasts at the next coaster event to brag to people next to them in line that weren't talking to them anyway and don't care that "THEY got to ride it BEFORE the park slowed it down and it was way better".

"Accepting mediocrity", dude relax its a roller coaster. I highy doubt its a medicore ride now cause they made one slight change to the ride. Parks have made changes to El Toro, Maverick, I305 and Skyrush, they're all still great. Even if he was "accepting mediocrity" (Whatever that means) its not like you have the option to change the ride back. It is what it is. If it gets their huge investment running consistantly who cares?

Intamin didn't mess with the very concept of the rides.

If it's true, I'm sure they only did it to slow it down to the speed the ride was designed for, so the only folks loosing anything are the folks who rode it while it was overspeed. I doubt they slowed it down much

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

So basically you're going to accept mediocrity? Sorry but I don't.

1) You haven't even ridden it (I REALLY can't stress this enough)

2) You have no choice but to accept it. What's the alternative? Bitching on the internet expecting the park to care? Even if they did care (and I ASSURE you that they don't) if they did this to somehow make it more reliable (which is obviously the purpose of whatever they're doing... they even posted that on their website) then if they listened to you and it went back to being broken for months at a time then you'd still be bitching.

So for those who "refuse to accept mediocrity" (and by mediocrity we mean a coaster that's still easily one of the best coasters on earth I'm sure) what's the plan? Are you making picket signs and marching in front of the gate? Are you refusing to spend your money at Dollywood even though you probably weren't going there anyway. What?

If this is true and if this is permanent (marginally likely at best) then you should probably ride it before freaking out. I'm sure it's still awesome. If anything this will just be an excuse for annoying coaster enthusiasts at the next coaster event to brag to people next to them in line that weren't talking to them anyway and don't care that "THEY got to ride it BEFORE the park slowed it down and it was way better".

Actually those enthusiasts are making a very valid point.

Neither did RMC. It is still a launched wooden coaster so whats your point?

The only thing that makes this funnier is when you realize that 4 of the "Top 10 rides" in his signature line were Intamin coasters that were slowed down or modified in ways that reduced their intensity and are pretty much exactly what happened here.

lol.thumb.jpg.fabb498662dbf49d47b6e4b683e82459.jpg

Neither did RMC. It is still a launched wooden coaster so whats your point?

Slowing the ride down takes away airtime, intensity, and messes with the pacing the ride was built for.

We as coaster enthusiasts have every right to criticize the decisions of a company.