TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

For those who are planning trips to Dollywood, late August and September are great times to go. Hours are reduced, but crowds are very light. Schools are back in session, and generally the crowd is much older, not necessarily interested in the rides. Even Saturdays can be a good day to go in my experience, especially if the Tennessee Vols are playing.Things pick up again come October as more people travel to the area to "leaf look." However come October some of the coasters tend to close during the warmth of the day due to wasps (especially Wild Eagle).

I agree, I go weekly, sometimes multiple times a week this time of year.. when October comes around its more crowded but it's still older folks and families without children looking at the changing colors of the season. Since some of the families are younger then, ride wait times are a little longer but not much.. Nov and Dec are very packed usually.. last two seasons the park has broken daily attendance records during Smoky Mountain Christmas.. Normal busy time during Nov and Dec is Saturday and Sunday but any evening can be pretty packed due to a majority of people who come for night rides on coasters and lights only. Keep in mind that I have been there several times in Dec and rides start closing right around dark due to the temp dropping.. Mostly the coasters do this.

So if you want super short wait times, go now!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Got my trip booked and ready for this weekend!

What is the opening procedure like for the park? Do they let you through security before 10am and have a rope drop? Or do they wait till 10 am to start letting people through like Hershey Park and have it look like a charlie foxtrot? I just wanna figure out what time I should arrive to the park.

Also, does anyone know where I might be able to find 2-day tickets? Dollywood has 1 and 3 day tickets on their site, while some hotels sell 2-day tickets if you are staying there (but we aren't staying there). It's kind of weird.

The two day tickets are probably just discounted one say tickets for the hotel to sale and they are offering them as a two day package.. you probably just get two one day tickets though..

Also they drop the entery gate a little before opening.. usually thirty mins

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

My family and I are planning a trip out to Dollywood/Pigeon Forge on October 6-10, as we have school off through those dates. We (well, really I'm the only one that cares about the coasters ) are really looking to make the most of our time here. We'll probably only be spending one day at DW. Which day would be best for shortest lines? Anything that I need to do at a specific time in order to avoid lines? Thank you all in advance!

We've been pushing back our visit all summer to wait for Lighting Rod, and we just got back from the park! Lightning Rod is unbelievable. Worth the wait, my goodness. It's up there towards the top of my rankings, I just want to sit on it for a while to figure out exactly where to put it...

The ride opened about 30 minutes after the park opened, with a line of around 20-25 minutes most of the day. But it started drizzling in the afternoon, which cleared out the park, but the left the rides open. And let me just say, Lightning Rod in the rain is magical. The quadruple down at the end is just otherworldly. It just doesn't let up at all (unlike Outlaw Run, which kind of fizzles out towards the end).

Managed to get 6 rides over the course of the day, 3 of which were more or less walk ons in the rain. Wow what a great ride.

Also wanted to say that I was worried about Thunderhead - now, I adore this ride, but I had last ridden it in 2007, so I was worried about the roughness. While definitely noticeably rougher (and I know the GP thinks it's rough, they all talk about it), I didn't feel that the roughness was bad enough to significantly affect my opinions. It's still one heck of a ride.

For the group that I went with, Wild Eagle was the clear favorite interestingly enough, until people rode Lightning Rod a second time. While the first time was a little too rough, once they knew what to expect, they warmed up to it.

^ On one of my rides of LR i was paired with a first time visitor to the park who was telling me how Wild Eagle was the best roller coaster he had ever been on, and that this was the only one in the park he hasn't ridden yet. So i told him to strap himself in as loose as he could and prepare to have your mind blown. He screamed throughout the entire ride and when we hit the brakes i said "much better than Wild Eagle right?" he said "i don't know, i just really like going upside down". I just told him that was fair enough and to have a great time for the rest of his visit. To each their own i always say, some people love the inversions, and people like me want to feel like i'm going fly right off the train and smack into the surrounding trees. Hope you and your crew had a great time.

^ On one of my rides of LR i was paired with a first time visitor to the park who was telling me how Wild Eagle was the best roller coaster he had ever been on, and that this was the only one in the park he hasn't ridden yet. So i told him to strap himself in as loose as he could and prepare to have your mind blown. He screamed throughout the entire ride and when we hit the brakes i said "much better than Wild Eagle right?" he said "i don't know, i just really like going upside down".

Good story! The only way to make that unfortunate situation seem better is that he'll be one less person in LR's queue line.

^ To each his own. I'd bet a hefty chunk of change that when we get there this winter and ride Lightning Rod, Brit will still think Wild Eagle is the best coaster in the park. She thinks the sun rises and sets with wing coasters. I don't understand it but that's just how it is.

PS: I'm expecting Lightning Rod to be my favorite, but it better bring it to top Mystery Mine. I absolutely adore that ride.

3 very different experiences there Bill.

I like all 3 for different reasons. On different days I could prefer any of the 3.

Some days I'm in the mood for whiskey, some days wine, and sometimes I want tequila.

Edited by STDog

Dollywood really has a pretty amazing coaster lineup. When thinking of parks with amazing lineups it rarely comes to mind since they don't have a huge quantity of rides but the ones they do have are spectacular. They have an awesome terrain Arrow that's regarded by basically everyone as the best ride of it's kind. They have the best themed coaster in America outside of a Disney or Universal park in Mystery Mine, they have a really solid GCI, an awesome family coaster that really appeals to every demographic, they have a fun wing coaster with amazing views and they have a ridiculous terrain RMC. They're honestly pretty stacked in the coaster department and that becomes even more amazing when you realize that coasters aren't even really the focus of the park.

Since Rikki and I bought season passes this year to save money on our trip back in March, we decided to take another trip down in November while she has a break for the NJEA convention to experience their holiday event (and ride Lightning Rod). It's looking like we'll be there November 11th and 12th. I did some preliminary research on Dollywood's website as well as through past fall seasons on this forum, but does anyone have any advice on what I should look to accomplish in order to best experience this event?

Totally agree about Dollywood's line up, it's pretty special. What stands out to me is that aren't any real duds. Every ride is worth riding (except maybe Blazing Fury if that's not your thing). And it's pretty amazing that Wild Eagle, Mystery Mine, and even Thunderhead are all supporting coasters now to the park's crown jewel, Lightning Rod. Their line up has more meat than most, and it does it with only 6 main coasters. Not many parks can match that.