TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

They have track completed all in the ravine including the double up to the quad down. So I'm guessing they'll finish the structure today and start finishing track on the quad down this evening. Tomorrow track the rest of the quad down, then up to the non inverting half loop. I know that the break run and part of the "drop" from the non inverting half loop is tracked.

I haven't been following this as closely as I should but it seems really ambitious to have this ride open in just about a month when the track is so far from being completed, especially since it's the world's first launched wood coaster so it's not exactly a tried and true B&M style ride we're talking about here.

Is the prevailing thought that this will still be able to make preview day? We're hoping to head down opening weekend and we're cautiously optimistic but you have to admit this seems overly ambitious.

Is the prevailing thought that this will still be able to make preview day? We're hoping to head down opening weekend and we're cautiously optimistic but you have to admit this seems overly ambitious.

"cautiously optimistic" seems fair.

Wicked Cyclone - last track installed 4/20, first test 5/6, media day 5/20

Twisted Colossus - last track installed ~4/18, testing by 4/29, media day 5/21

Goliath - last track installed ~5/24, testing 5/31, media day 6/18

Iron Rattler - last track installed 3/15, testing by 4/2, media day 5/15

Goliath had the tightest schedule, so going on that, if LR has any hope, they need to finish track by 2/22 (still possible!) and cross their fingers that the launch system doesnt give them any trouble.

See this was my only worry about Dollywood getting a RMC was the previous delays that the recent RMC's had had. Mystery Mine was the only coaster that didn't open on opening day and that was because they wanted it to have a "Friday the 13th" opening. If LR doesn't open on schedule, a lot of people that are traveling down on opening day will be disappointed and Dollywood knows that, which is why they're trying to hurry. RMC said the last bent was in place so the only thing to do now is finish the remaining track.

I will say I do feel confident that Dollywood will have this completed in a week or two. Not sure about the theming around the area and station, and the refurb of JJ, but the coaster yes.

I'm beyond excited for this coaster. I don't think I've been more excited for a new coaster before honestly. Lightning Rod looks to shoot straight up the top of my list of fav coasters when I finally get my hands on it!

Yeah, I'm even excited for Thunder Rod to start testing! Just watching those trains crest the top of that hill will be sweet. I'm going sometime in the middle of July, where Ill get to try out Thunder Rod for myself! Boom!

3 questions:

1. Does anyone know if track work has been completed yet?

2. Heading down over Easter Weekend. Would Saturday before Easter or the Monday after Easter be better for attending?

3. Has anyone used the Fun Time Trolley to park and get to the park as opposed to paying for parking at Dollywood? Thoughts on using it, or should I just pony up the $12 for parking?

3 questions:

2. Heading down over Easter Weekend. Would Saturday before Easter or the Monday after Easter be better for attending?

3. Has anyone used the Fun Time Trolley to park and get to the park as opposed to paying for parking at Dollywood? Thoughts on using it, or should I just pony up the $12 for parking?

Don't know, but my guess is yes, or in the next day or two.

Definitely Monday.

The Trolly is awesome. You get a great trip down the Pigeon Forge strip depending where you get on. Just allow for time as it makes several stops on the way to Dollywood.

3 questions:

I would think the Monday after Easter would be best.

The Fun Time Trolley from Patriot Park is usually a decent option. During busy times (usually leaving the park in the evenings), the trolley can be packed with standing room only but it's only a 5 minute ride from Patriot Park to Dollywood and is only $0.50 per person. Also, Patriot Park is located at the Old Mill Village and you can get a delicious meal at the Old Mill Pottery House Café! For Pigeon Forge, the Patriot Park trolley is the only trolley that picks up at Dollywood.