TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

The wait times on the app look horrible today! I hope Dollywood didn't underestimate the crowds.. Local fall breaks plus I just talked to a family that went yesterday who had evacuated to our area from Charleston to spend the weekend up here. They said lines where bad

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DOLLYWOOD TRIP REPORT 10-6/7-2016

I visited the park this past Friday and Saturday (10/6 and 7). I loved every second of it! This park is just so different from every other park out there. It's not just slabs of concrete with a coaster plopped down on it. There's just so much to see and take in. There's some very nice theming everywhere as well. Everything about this park was impressive, honestly. So here's my story of how it all went. After I tell what we did will be my ride reviews, so skip down there if you would like.

We stayed at the DreamMore Resort, which is awesome, by the way. It was the most homey feeling hotel I've ever been in. Sadly it was booked for the weekend, so we were only able to get it for Thursday night, which worked just fine, as we went to another hotel (Wilderness at the Smokies) with a fun indoor waterpark later. Plus we got our two day ticket/timesavers from that, which was awesome.

Day 1:

We caught the second bus out of the hotel with our complimentary timesavers. We got to the park and did Thunderhead with a 0 minute wait, as the park just opened. Afterwards, we went over to Wild Eagle, as we knew it would close for wasps later. We rode right wing-row 1, and left wing-row 7. After this, we headed over to Mystery Mine and waited about 5 minutes, but they didn't have the Timesaver line open, so we just did standby. Afterwards, we got the notification that we could book Firechaser, so we did just that. As you may have seen earlier, on Friday, the timesaver never had any waits. So we could book it, and one minute after we booked, we got the notification that we could ride. This was for every ride. This was odd, as on Saturday, they mostly lined up with their real wait times. Anyway, afterwards we were in line for TN Tornado when it went down, so we left, since we were hungry. We went to go get some cinnamon bread (which is absolutely incredible; it deserves every positive review it gets). After, we booked Barnstormer. This was a very fun flat to be reviewed later along with the coasters. After this, we trekked back over to TN Tornado, as we saw that it had reopened via the Dollywood app. From here on out, we wandered around, riding things at our leisure, since all of the Timesaver waits were always 1 minute. I won't bore you with the rest of the details of this day.

Day 2:

Today, we went over from our hotel to DreamMore to get our Timesavers again. We took the bus again. We arrived at the park a lot later today (around 11:30). The first thing I noticed was that LR was open, unlike yesterday. We headed straight there to be hit with a wait sign of 120 minutes. The real wait was only about 75. We got assigned the front too! This thing was a life changing experience , but more about that later. While in line, we reserved Mystery Mine, and headed there next. Afterwards, we went to Wild Eagle, only after my dad bringing the rest of us some more cinnamon bread . We rode left wing-row 6. We didn't want to wait much more. The operations here were by far the worst, which of course isn't all that bad. I think part of it is the process of it all, as the ops themselves weren't that slow. I think it was in how the two in the front would stand against the silver gate whenever they were done checking, even though their dispatch button is around row 3/4. Then, the gates take forever to open, it feels like as well. Along with a few other things, all of these start to add up and result in slow dispatches. They would be about 3.5-4 minutes each. It was a 25 minute wait (since Timesaver merges pretty early), that could've been 15. Oh well, it didn't ruin my day or anything. From here, we took a more leisurely pace, riding random things. This included TN Tornado and Mystery Mine. We got on LR one more time after a breakdown and waited around an hour, and rode in row 12. After this, we went to the Dolly area and took her bus tour and did the museum. After this, we left, so we clearly ended on a high note. Again, I won't bore you with any more details from what everything else.

RIDE REVIEWS

Thunderhead - the first time I rode in the back and I wasn't blown away, honestly. It was a very fun woodie, but nothing out of this world or anything. As we were leaving the park on the first day, everyone had left after a little drizzle that had just ended. We decided to take one final lap. When picking my seat, I remembered that weird airtime that Legend gives in the front back at home. The kind right before a turn, that you can't see in the track shape (if you've ridden the updated Legend, or probably most GCI's, you know what I'm talking about). I decided to go with the front seat, and boy was it worth it. I totally felt that air, and it was awesome. This thing has surprising speed to it and is just fun. It was for sure the roughest GCI I've been on. Then again, I only have Lightning Racer and Legend, if you count that, under my belt, which are two of the smoothest out there as of now, from what I hear. It was still far from unbearable. It didn't shuffle really, like a PTC-train woodie would. It was just kind of rough. I can't even imagine how smooth Voyage would be with some of these.

RATING: 6.5/10

Wild Eagle - I'm a huge wing coaster fan, and this one lived up to my expectations, which weren't all too high. Another case of how the seat matters: the airtime in the back on the drop. I liked it much better in the back. It still was my least favorite wing, but was still just plain fun. I did, however, prefer its Zero G Roll to Thunderbird. I could feel 0 G's vs that lateral force on TB. The corkscrew was also nice. I might have liked it as much, if not more than the TB in-line twist. However, Thunderbird is just a little less swooping and graceful, and snappier. They really fit their names. I picture an eagle flying high and swift, and Thunderbird making quick, jumpy movements. Anyway, enough comparison. It was of course super smooth. However, now I can see what everyone complained about with the locking restraints. That is very uncomfortable on the brakes, whenever you sit out there for a while. The loop was nice and forceful. I found it really neat how they had the cameras to record videos. I didn't know about that until I rode. Of course I didn't get a video, but it was a very neat concept that I'd like to see on other rides. For example, if there was a video of me on LR for the first, I would've bought it in a heartbeat (LAUGH).

RATING: 8/10

Mystery Mine

This ride is kind of selective with when it wants to be rough. I rode 3 times. 2 of these rides were nice and rough of course, but not as bad as my last ride. Ouch. That thing killed me. I couldn't ride anything for an hour after, as it gave me a headache. I still did love the layout and theming. I didn't watch a POV or anything before I rode, so that fire scared the crap out of me! It was a pretty fun ride, with arguably one of the best finales ever. The hangtime is crazy.

RATING - 6/10

Firechaser Express - Wow! This is a fun little coaster! I wasn't expecting much going in to it; just another family coaster with little force or excitement. Boy was I wrong! That launch scared me! The backwards section made me a bit nauseas, so I'm glad it was kind of short. This was just another fun ride. The ops were arguably the best here. A lot of times, they would be cleared and holding the button before the previous train cleared the block. I was a big fan of this ride. I'd love to see one of these back at HW, like people were mentioning a while back in that thread. It's just plain fun.

RATING - 7/10

Tennessee Tornado - I knew that this ride was going to be pretty good going into it, but it still blew those expectations away! Even though there was a bit of that arrow shuffling thing, it was incredibly still incredibly smooth. It made me wish Arrow was still around to make more of these things! It had that awesome Arrow-back-row airtime and everything. That drop is surprising. It picks up so much speed so fast. The inversions are all so quick and forceful too. I've never felt a weirder vertical loop, though. I seriously wonder how that got shaped like that. And that pop of air into the brakes was a nice ending touch.

RATING - 9/10

Lightning Rod - Orgasmic airtime. That's all. Ok but really, the launch is everything I was expecting and more. Someone said it was like Maverick's hill launch. Whoever said that is a liar. That thing was awesome and had plenty of force and speed behind it. The air in both of those Dolly humps was just giggly fun in the front. In the back, I've never felt closer to death. That jolt in the drop was there, as I said earlier. I think some part of the wood is just misshapen or something, because it really did hurt in the back. It for sure beat me up a bit there on that part. I also have never felt sideways airtime, but wow that might be some of the best. I know many people consider this the part that it "lets up", but I'd say the opposite. It was probably one of my favorite parts of the ride. Those turns following had a nice snap to them as well. Here comes the thigh bruising airtime. I've never been legitimately scared for my life once a coaster started, or wanted my lapbar tighter, but boy this one did it for me. You just fly down this hill. That ending also has some nice snap to it, but honestly, that part felt weaker than the the wave turn, which makes sense, as it's literally 20 feet from the brakes. When we hit the brakes, everyone in my family just stared at each other for a second, then busted out laughing in that "Did that really just happen?" kind of laugh. You can tell you've got THE winner on your hands when every single person on the train comes back clapping, screaming, and laughing hysterically. There aren't enough good words for this ride.

RATING - 10/10

If you couldn't already tell, I had a perfect couple of days. If this is your home park, I'm jealous . Now picture time!

IMG_2322.thumb.JPG.9f7d75d3f64320336840cfbabba7e86d.JPG

You know it's gonna be a good day when you wake up and this is the first thing you see!

IMG_2325.thumb.JPG.4292c48ec5fbb2367abc567c4d36045b.JPG

Thunderhead teasing you at the resort drop off entrance.

IMG_2326.thumb.JPG.c8d51541cdf9210038fdd4e5e4e73cf7.JPG

I'm in love with this shot. I just wish there was a train in it.

IMG_2332.thumb.JPG.b2b0a7b92572f5ce2f9bafb6a894faef.JPG

Nature shot 1/3. I put these pictures in just to show, if you haven't been, how secluded this area is. It really doesn't have an "amusement park" feeling to it at all. It's an awesome step away from the rides and intensity of other parks/areas.

IMG_2333.thumb.JPG.334480fd8292eccaadb293f4bbd257e0.JPG

Nature shot 2/3

IMG_2335.thumb.JPG.534b905d4bb896461f3fd9598351f4e5.JPG

Alright, I'll quit.

IMG_2338.thumb.JPG.bdd05a0d77237ec794d961c74c1fd245.JPG

This was from day one. The skies definitely weren't the only ones crying about LR being closed all day.

IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.2cece7bb7cd9bd0e145aa09552811345.JPG

This ride is so hard to get pictures of! It has a very nice color scheme, but only because it's in this park. If it were on a concrete slab at Six Flags, it'd be hideous, but since it's with all of the trees, it looks excellent.

IMG_2348.thumb.JPG.bc78788924c30c913a2a02dfdf3d4996.JPG

I didn't ever find out why they did it, but both days the ops tied a bandana to the back of the TN Tornado trains. I thought it was neat.

IMG_2349.thumb.JPG.fc93cc4ca7b5b67b7cc37fd2392e403a.JPG

This was one awesome Arrow.

IMG_2344.thumb.JPG.2ba03d34ee92bfa4211b385b97955398.JPG

Day two: there she goes! You really don't realize how massive this thing is until you see it/ride it in person.

IMG_2345.thumb.JPG.9e93d90a77bdc4334749a4c7e19db9ca.JPG

I think I might like this one better than the other. The lighting was absolutely perfect here. I'm a huge fan of how high and perched (pun intended) Wild Eagle is on the mountain. That's just another kind of thing I thought was neat about the ride.

IMG_2355.thumb.JPG.9306310de42aa6cbb89f253b1b0b2c8e.JPG

The clouds had to show now and ruin the lighting. Either way, I like that this one has a train in it.

IMG_2356.thumb.JPG.c42bcbb232cf07e0aa49696e5020c219.JPG

Let's play spot the train in this shot.

IMG_2358.thumb.JPG.fe28453bd6376e1f7249ab2d35a8ec7f.JPG

Ending this TR with this work of art called Lightning Rod!

Yup it does but if I recall, it's only available on the first few rows up front.. I never pay attention anymore so they might have added it to the other seats but I am not sure

Sounds like OP was in the back so they must have added it further back

Wait, Wild Eagle has on ride video you can buy? How much?

Enjoyed reading your TR.

Thank you!

The video is in rows 2-7. It's very cool. I can't find a picture online of it, and I didn't take any, but it's mounted on the actual "wing" of the train, in between the two seats. I had no idea what it was the first time I saw it . It just looks like a security camera painted to the train's colors. I didn't really want to get one, because on the preview in the gift shop, I wasn't all that excited . Sorry, I'm not totally sure about the price, but I want to say $19. I could very easily be wrong. A local would be better off, but that's just my closest memory.

Enjoyed reading your TR.

Thank you!

The video is in rows 2-7. It's very cool. I can't find a picture online of it, and I didn't take any, but it's mounted on the actual "wing" of the train, in between the two seats. I had no idea what it was the first time I saw it . It just looks like a security camera painted to the train's colors. I didn't really want to get one, because on the preview in the gift shop, I wasn't all that excited . Sorry, I'm not totally sure about the price, but I want to say $19. I could very easily be wrong. A local would be better off, but that's just my closest memory.

Lol I notice your top 10 now has LR at number 1. Definitely my number 1 woodie, Fury and MF are ahead overall. To each his own!

Enjoyed reading your TR.

Thank you!

Lol I notice your top 10 now has LR at number 1. Definitely my number 1 woodie, Fury and MF are ahead overall. To each his own!

Well I've only been on MF, not Fury. It actually just got shifted out of my top 10 when LR came in. I have a feeling Fury would be my #1, as I absolutely love B&M, especially Diamondback, and that looks somewhat similar to Fury as far as hypers go. Carowinds is probably at the top of my list now for parks that I need to get out to.

great review of the park! I am lucky enough to consider Dollywood my home park. Technically SFOG is closer but its a different story.

Firechaser express is a very underrated coaster. I enjoy it every time I ride. Its really cool to ride at night when its cold out. The building fills up with so much fog you cant see going backwards.

Whenever I am inline for LR and someone askes me if it is worth the wait, my response is always, "Just look at the peoples faces when the train hits the brake run." Looks like you had that "Holy S! What just hapened moment."

I'm planning on hitting Pigeon Forge next year in the spring. Hopefully LR will have its kinks worked out by then. I see that there are 2 mountain coasters, Goats on the roof and another I cant remember the name . Both in Pigeon Forge. Anybody know which is better?

I'm planning on hitting Pigeon Forge next year in the spring. Hopefully LR will have its kinks worked out by then. I see that there are 2 mountain coasters, Goats on the roof and another I cant remember the name . Both in Pigeon Forge. Anybody know which is better?

Goats on the Roof and Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster are about a mile from each other on Wears valley Rd. I have only been on Smoky but hear both are nice. Smoky Alpine does have covers to put over the car if its raining so they can pretty much run it year round.

If you take the trip to Gatlinburg, there is also Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster which I hear is the shortest.

There is also one up on Ober Gatlinburg but I hear they are having trouble with it due to the manufacturer and it may not be operating.

I preferred Smoky Mountain to the Goat Coaster, but both were really good and I'd recommend trying both. We rode both during the day, but they do offer night rides which would be cool. The Goat Coaster employees said their coaster is in complete darkness at night.

I didn't get a chance to try the Gatlinburg ones, but those in my group who did said the Pigeon Forge ones were better.

The Goat Coaster employees said their coaster is in complete darkness at night.

If so, it's a welcome change. They used yo have lights all along the track. I specifically suggested offing dark rides as more fun (especially in October )

There is also one up on Ober Gatlinburg but I hear they are having trouble with it due to the manufacturer and it may not be operating.

Just as well. It was the shortest (by a lot from what info I could get) of the 4 and most expensive.

First timer to Dollywood and wow, what a phenomenal park so far! Lightning Rod has rocketed its way to being my favorite RMC yet (out of Outlaw Run, Wicked Cyclone, Storm Chaser, and Goliath) and is the best wooden coaster not named El Toro. This ride is fast with some pretty spectacular airtime. We also rode Firechaser Express, Tennesse Tornado, Mystery Mine, and Thunderhead. All were very solid coasters. Wild Eagle was closed for wasps, but we plan to hit that and Blazing Fury tomorrow. So far, this park is pretty spectacular!

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.228d7ce618a9a42d8a07940f0f972bf7.JPG

Yes, it's open! (With one train so lines were pretty long...)

IMG_0142.thumb.JPG.4cb7e51aa047909fad142894267c5458.JPG

LR takes this turn at a ridiculous amount of speed.

IMG_0143.thumb.JPG.bc2ed40033c303bd60d6e5c7f52df948.JPG

The launch was okay, though I expected it to be more intense than it actually was. At least it provided airtime at the peak!

IMG_0145.thumb.JPG.eedf92fa3720e20da336b83261d40fa1.JPG

The quad down is the best element RMC has ever created hands down! It's ridiculous in all the right ways.

Get Wild Eagle early most fall breaks are ending here and I'd imagine Dollywood will be dead tomorrow... You might even luck up and get a few walk on rides with LR!

Id love to make it out sometime this week, not sure if I can though.. but I am having withdrawals! I haven't been to Dollywood in like 2 weeks haha

Great Pictures!!!

We were at the park yesterday also. Got 4 more rides on Lightning Rod, bringing my grand total # of rides on it up to 11 (my first wasn't until early August just after the ride reopened). It is certainly my #1 out of 380 coasters... it gets better and better with every ride I take!! Even when only 1 train is running with all levels of the que full, the wait time is only about 45 minutes. Yesterday they were letting about 3 trains worth of people into the station at a time. 2 rides yesterday were in row 11, and 2 were in row 12. Row 11 is smoother for sure, but I like row 12 because it gives you more of that "bumpy" wood coaster feel. The bottom of the first drop "jolt" is still there, though I felt it was less noticeable to me yesterday.

Wild Eagle was open yesterday until about noon. Get your rides early as possible as it tends to close around noon everyday. Sometimes the ride reopens before park close, depending on how warm the day has been determines how long the wasps continue congregate on the top of the lift hill.

Thunderhead is also prone to closure because of wasps, though it remained open all day yesterday as well. Hit that ride early also!

And I HIGHLY recommend the hand battered fried green tomatoes, or the fried green tomato BLT that is being served for the Harvest Celebration near Market Square! DELICIOUS!!!

The Dollywood app does have it listed as closed today.. unfortunately, it doesn't mention anything about it being closed all week.. Wild Eagle is also closed now, I assume due to wasp