TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

Considering Khan is 45 meters high with a 49 meter drop (dips into a small trench) and the bottom of the hyper's first drop is even lower (deeper trench / tunnel), combined to the fact the camelback hasn't reached its apex yet, though it already seems taller than Khan in general, I'd estimate it above 50 indeed. The second camelback (prior to the splash zone) should be about the same height as Khan's vertical loop, which is 36 meters high if I remember correctly. Those curvees really start to look sexy, especially the caroussel thingy which looks like a figure eight. I really cannot wait to ride this beauty, cookie cutter or not...

Let's play "Spot the trim!"

I don't know why people expect no trims. B&M have put trims on all their rides since the 00s. It's only their early rides which don't have them.

...Right around the 00s is also when their rides started getting as soft as the TP someone with acute irritated-ass syndrome would use. I think we may be on to something!

I find it rather unusual that the large camelback is done before the first drop is completed. It also seems to have a slightly tighter radius at the top. The turnaround is going to look awesome. I just hope it delivers like the helix turnaround on SFOG's Goliath.

BTW why does it always seem like the top of Huracan Condor is always crooked or is that the way its supposed to be?

^A little earlier in the thread this was addressed:

In that last group of pics, is that hat on the drop tower supposed to be crooked, or is it just my imagination? Being the huge drop tower fan that I am, always good to know good and valid reasons to avoid them

Hopefully, when we see more progress on the ride, seeing the potential for it not being a 'modern/ standard' B&M layout will definitely get this ride more attention I'm sure.

Yes, the top of Hurakan Condor is a bit crooked for theming reasons...

^A little earlier in the thread this was addressed:

In that last group of pics, is that hat on the drop tower supposed to be crooked, or is it just my imagination? Being the huge drop tower fan that I am, always good to know good and valid reasons to avoid them

Hopefully, when we see more progress on the ride, seeing the potential for it not being a 'modern/ standard' B&M layout will definitely get this ride more attention I'm sure.

Yes, the top of Hurakan Condor is a bit crooked for theming reasons...

I bet a lot of GP think Hurakan Condor is going to collapse...

I hope Shambhala won't have trims to make Shambhala's epicness turn into the intensity of a lousy Morgan hyper.

So far, the only trim in sight seems to be far in the layout (after the carroussel thing). So we "might" have a well paced first half, and this little trim may be retractable like a lot of B&M trims. However, any track can be retrofitted with brakes: look at Montu, or Mantis. So you never can tell. After all Port Aventura trimmed Stampida but this was due to a fatal accident in 97 or 98 I think. But lots of people here could tell you that a trim doesn't necessarily kill a ride, even if the majority of us freak out at their simple sight lol. Another point: Port Aventura seems to like their coasters quite intense (Khan, Furious Baco...) Let's hope they keep this "trend" alive... I'm of the opinion that even if the majority of the hypers they build are tame, if the park asks for something intense, I'm sure engineers know how to manufacture one that delivers. The only thing I fear is that for some reason, the simulation made by apparently well informed fans featured a trim on the very first drop. And since a part of it is still missing, maybe it might come true...

B&M trims don't kill their rides, they maintain a very specific speed that B&M has designed the elements on their coasters to be taken at. I don't understand why there's such a big deal every time a trim gets found on a Beemer - they're on just about every single one for that reason. This ride doesn't even have a mid-course brake run to slow the train down a significant amount, just the water splash to take off some miles per hour while being taken at a high speed itself. Nitro is one of the highest-rated B&M hypers, and it has two trim brakes that hardly catch the train on most days, which should say something.

^true, I hadn't noticed the 2 trims on the first Camelback of Nitro the first time I rode it. Another example closer to Shambhala is Dragon Khan on which you wouldn't notice the mcbr if you rode it with your eyes closed. Actually, a part that surprised me the first time I rode this looper is how FAST and nervously the train dived into the curving drop that comes before the second vertical loop. It even has a kind of "kink" to it, like entering CP Raptor's brake run, but in a good surprising way. Now it's not a matter of making drama about a trim, but I'm sure nobody here will complain if there is none before the one on the low to the ground speed hill

This ride doesn't even have a mid-course brake run to slow the train down a significant amount

Yes, it does. It's almost at the end of the ride, like Carowinds' Intimidator.

IMO, the ride won't feature many trims since the splash alone will slow down the train enough to take the next to hills at the right speed.