TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

^I just sent it. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the event so much, and I'm happy to hear that Pete was able to meet plenty of enthusiasts. Once you get to know him, you can tell he's a great guy who cares about the park and its Guests/Employees.

Also, if you want to send this (and any compliments/comments) that anyone has to Guest Relations, they can talk to Rides and help identify employees, as well as making sure it is catalogued in the system. You can submit a comment online via the park's 'Contact Us' page on the website.

Thanks! I put it on the after visit survey. Hopefully he will get some recognition.

Thank you for the great info as always, TNT. I kept seeing that train car in and out of the roundhouse, so I'm happy that the train will be back to full capacity (hopefully). They will definitely need it for FF and HITP.

Speaking of HITP, something has been troubling me, which I did express to management. Since the first email about lighting and planning, I've noticed them using the acronym HIP. But you see, this makes no sense. Acronyms usually either include all of the small words like in, at, the, etc. Yet, they've decided that the "in" somehow matters, leaving the "the" out of the acronym. It's apparently due to the fact that saying, for example, you have a HIP meeting (pronounced like the part of your body, just like Shakira's hit song about her hips not lying). However, I just think it's lazy and in bad taste to not use HITP. Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest. I can't wait until more details are released or until I'm able to give a couple more details possibly.

And thank God someone called out their stock photos, some of which are seriously scary. I don't mind that they tend to include rides from other parks, but holy heck those pictures you posted is in my top ten posts I've seen on TPR. I started watching the first episode of The X Files last night, so you've got me thoroughly spooked. I'd give you comp tickets or something, except for I don't have extra to give. But it's the thought that counts.

Anyone visiting this weekend? I'm going to try to spend an hour or two hitting a couple rides in the park after my shift, and it'd be fun if anyone wanted to meet up.

Hey it's me on a few banners and billboards around the park!

What a coincidence, me too!

kappa

Anyway, I don't know who to grouse about this to, so I'm going to throw it here. I e-mailed customer service recently and they told me that tripods of any sort will continue to be disallowed during HitP. This is...annoying. The event is being sold as something to really look at, and I'd love to practice my nighttime photography. Is there any way the park considers loosening its policy on this front for the event?

That being said, the tripod I'm looking to bring is tiny - big enough to fit in a coat pocket - so I guess my follow up question is "what would happen to me if I secreted this in, then got caught using it?" If its confiscation, that'd be fine, assuming I'd get it back. Hell, I'd be fine getting kicked out of the park for the day. I just don't want to suffer the dreaded one year ban.

Really though, it wouldn't be hard to set a policy like, "tripods with extended heights of 12" or more are not allowed," and it would probably solve every concern the park has about them.

I would say that if they've told you tripods of any sort are not allowed, that you not bring in a tripod of any sort.

Especially when you have put in writing that you are aware of the rule and acknowledge that your actions are against the rules.

..."what would happen to me if I secreted this in, then got caught using it?" If its confiscation, that'd be fine, assuming I'd get it back. Hell, I'd be fine getting kicked out of the park for the day. I just don't want to suffer the dreaded one year ban...

If you have to ask how severe the punishment would be for purposefully breaking park rules, then you definitely shouldn't bring it. I've been to parks that have (in my opinion) bad policies...I mean, even the new Six Flags Accessibility Pass is a complete slap in the face for anyone in a wheelchair and has led me to visit the park a lot less, even though I get in free. However, I look at any policy as park of that park's experience, so if that experience isn't worth it to me, then I just wouldn't go.

Edited by HWFan

That being said, the tripod I'm looking to bring is tiny - big enough to fit in a coat pocket -

Really though, it wouldn't be hard to set a policy like, "tripods with extended heights of 12" or more are not allowed," and it would probably solve every concern the park has about them.

as a former pro photographer I would suggest using a small sandbag (hand size for your camera) and any of the fenceposts/railings/trash cans as makeshift pods. I once shot fireworks in Chicago using this method with a 8-10 second time exposure with very exceptional results. it is easiest and best? no - but it can work. keep it small so your not lugging a brick all night but they should let it pass through security. I would think.

or try this

https://www.thepod.ca/

http://www.deadtreephotography.com/blog/2010/04/using-a-sandbag-as-a-tripod-alternative/

http://terrywhite.com/great-tripod-for-those-times-when-you-cant-use-a-tripod/

http://www.instructables.com/id/String-Tripod/

just a thought. good luck

Kevin

I looked on their webpage (and could have very well missed it) but is there a pass that you can purchase to visit each of the mazes or do you have to pay per play? Thinking of giving the park a chance during FF just to see if they have upped their game since the last time I visited during that festival

They have something called a slasher pass. It gets you into all of the attractions for that night. I cant remember the exact cost but it is somewhere in the $30 range I think. You can also buy individual tickets if you want to. My suggestion is don't waste your time in BlackOut, previously voided vision and total darkness before that. It's just not worth the time.

Do the mazes get very long lines considering they are up charge?

yes! Sometimes extremely long, there is an express slasher pass that is kinda like a flash pass that speeds things up but it is still a little wait with those as many more people buy them than they do flash passes.

I looked on their webpage (and could have very well missed it) but is there a pass that you can purchase to visit each of the mazes or do you have to pay per play? Thinking of giving the park a chance during FF just to see if they have upped their game since the last time I visited during that festival

They have something called a slasher pass. It gets you into all of the attractions for that night. I cant remember the exact cost but it is somewhere in the $30 range I think. You can also buy individual tickets if you want to. My suggestion is don't waste your time in BlackOut, previously voided vision and total darkness before that. It's just not worth the time.

That's interesting. Here at SFOT we have the Fright Pass which costs $25. It's good for the entire run of Fright Fest, Sept 24 thru Nov 1st. At SFFT all haunted attractions are free with paid admission. I hope it's something they start doing at all SF parks.

as a former pro photographer I would suggest using a small sandbag (hand size for your camera) and any of the fenceposts/railings/trash cans as makeshift pods. I once shot fireworks in Chicago using this method with a 8-10 second time exposure with very exceptional results. it is easiest and best? no - but it can work. keep it small so your not lugging a brick all night but they should let it pass through security. I would think.

or try this

http://www.deadtreephotography.com/blog/2010/04/using-a-sandbag-as-a-tripod-alternative/

Kevin

Thanks for the suggestion! Way better than breaking policy.

After spending a week at WDW, I think one of the big things I was amused by was the difference in park policies. Riding a roller coaster? Just throw your bag at your feet and give your restraint a little tug, we'll be happy to send the train. Tripods? Sure, go nuts. Try to wear a purse during Star Tours? NO. THAT IS NOT ALLOWED.

Meanwhile, at SDC, they demanded you empty your pockets entirely before they'd dispatch a train. Having a dozen cell phones per train sitting at the station feels like a recipe for disaster but I guess in family friendly Branson Missouri nothing bad ever happens?

That's interesting. Here at SFOT we have the Fright Pass which costs $25. It's good for the entire run of Fright Fest, Sept 24 thru Nov 1st. At SFFT all haunted attractions are free with paid admission. I hope it's something they start doing at all SF parks.

I hope not. It's all about supply and demand. Obviously SFSL has a higher demand for its haunted attractions, which is why they can get sizable lines sometimes, even though they're upcharge. If they were free, you'd see the lines become overwhelming and probably a decline in quality.

Last year on most days the Slasher Pass was $25 with the Express version being $30 on most days. I believe they also had some demand pricing where it slightly fluctuated depending on the day.

This is the first time that SFFT has made their haunted attractions free to all paid guests. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it works out for them. But I'm not opposed to this idea. Or at least lowering the admission prices. Right now at SFOT, single admission for haunted houses is $8 each. Fright Passes, I'm told, are only available to season pass holders. Let's see.... That's 5 haunted attractions at $8 each. By my calculations that's $40 for one admission to each attraction! A family of 4 with teenage kids would have to pay a whopping $160!!!

I'm not sure if SFOT is offering all day haunted attractions passes to guests with single day admission tickets. I do remember seeing guests, last year, going into haunted attractions on those $8 single tickets. But I'll be at the park on Saturday for the first day of Fright Fest. I'll try and find out.

This is the first time that SFFT has made their haunted attractions free to all paid guests. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it works out for them. But I'm not opposed to this idea. Or at least lowering the admission prices. Right now at SFOT, single admission for haunted houses is $8 each. Fright Passes, I'm told, are only available to season pass holders. Let's see.... That's 5 haunted attractions at $8 each. By my calculations that's $40 for one admission to each attraction! A family of 4 with teenage kids would have to pay a whopping $160!!!

I'm not sure if SFOT is offering all day haunted attractions passes to guests with single day admission tickets. I do remember seeing guests, last year, going into haunted attractions on those $8 single tickets. But I'll be at the park on Saturday for the first day of Fright Fest. I'll try and find out.

With a huge amount of season pass holders attending fright fest, the $25 or $30 isn't too bad considering the prices for other St. Louis haunted attractions. St. Louis has some of the best stand-alone haunted attractions in the country, which makes SFSL keep their houses at a fairly high standard.

or try this

Kevin

Thanks for the suggestion! Way better than breaking policy.

After spending a week at WDW, I think one of the big things I was amused by was the difference in park policies. Riding a roller coaster? Just throw your bag at your feet and give your restraint a little tug, we'll be happy to send the train. Tripods? Sure, go nuts. Try to wear a purse during Star Tours? NO. THAT IS NOT ALLOWED.

Meanwhile, at SDC, they demanded you empty your pockets entirely before they'd dispatch a train. Having a dozen cell phones per train sitting at the station feels like a recipe for disaster but I guess in family friendly Branson Missouri nothing bad ever happens?

glad I could help - just take your time and shoot a lot and you should get some good stuff. I am just wondering what they will do if we get any serious snows in Nov/Dec this year.

kevin

PS I despise christmas, So my attendance will probably not occur anyway.

Has there been any thought on making the weather phase system public? I was in the park yesterday and it would have helped a lot of people if they had an easy way to identify which rides would be open and to know why the order of events transpired in the way that it did.

All it'd take is a PA announcement of the level and to have the phase level printed on the site and in maps. Then again how often is this needed?