TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

After completing my visit to WOF today (and visiting Fright Fest last weekend) I can safely say that Fright Fest has nothing on HAUNT. The maze quality is night and day. WOF's mazes are all professionally done with actual themes that are carried through the entire maze. SF's mazes almost feel like a high school project in comparison. I'm not trying to be a fan boy here for WOF but come on SF step it up. You were the original Halloween event in the state there's no excuse to not have a better event (or at least equivalent).

After completing my visit to WOF today (and visiting Fright Fest last weekend) I can safely say that Fright Fest has nothing on HAUNT. The maze quality is night and day. WOF's mazes are all professionally done with actual themes that are carried through the entire maze. SF's mazes almost feel like a high school project in comparison. I'm not trying to be a fan boy here for WOF but come on SF step it up. You were the original Halloween event in the state there's no excuse to not have a better event (or at least equivalent).

I disagree with that strongly. I haven't been to WOF's haunt so I can't compare them as great as you'd be able to, but I went in all of the mazes last night at Fright Fest, with the exception of Blackout (I've ignored that one since FF 2013), and they all had very strong themes and stuck to those themes pretty well. The Slaughter House had jars and barrels of human parts, and all the actors were dressed and equipped with meat cleavers and machetes and such, Blind Fury had amazing theming with the rooms full of stuffed animals and dolls, the racks of makeshift toys made out of arms and legs, and the actors in that maze always fit the maze very well too, not to mention the awesome boiling room finale scene with the flamethrower. Camp Killamore was set up like different parts of a summer camp like the Killamore Theater, the bathroom, the different dormitory buildings, not to mention the finale in the Mess Hall. Then Night Terrors, the new one for this year had different rooms based off of different fears. The fear of death, fear of clowns, etc etc.

I don't doubt that Worlds of Fun is ahead of Six Flags St Louis considering they aren't in a restructuring phase, but given the increasing amount of money the park is putting into it year after year I feel it's becoming a pretty great Halloween event.

Got the chance to watch the Love at First Fright show in the Palace Theater tonight. The show was very good and the special effects were far better than one would expect from a theme park show. The cast did a really great job. Towards the end of the show however the fire alarm went off. After the initial confusion of what was going on when all the lights turned on and the music stopped mid song and the alarm started, the cast and crew did a really good job "evacuating" the building. In just over a minute they were able to get probably close to 500 people out of the building. They seemed just as shocked as we all were when they went off but they handled it very well! I look forward to going back and seeing the whole show next time!

Got the chance to watch the Love at First Fright show in the Palace Theater tonight. The show was very good and the special effects were far better than one would expect from a theme park show. The cast did a really great job. Towards the end of the show however the fire alarm went off. After the initial confusion of what was going on when all the lights turned on and the music stopped mid song and the alarm started, the cast and crew did a really good job "evacuating" the building. In just over a minute they were able to get probably close to 500 people out of the building. They seemed just as shocked as we all were when they went off but they handled it very well! I look forward to going back and seeing the whole show next time!

It's good to hear that they were able to get everyone out in no time at all. Love at First Fright is a spectacular show and it's even better this year than it has been all the years I've seen it. The cast this year are all extremely talented and clearly are having a blast doing what they do.

Do we know which rides will be open during Holiday in the Park? Hopefully we get the Batman out of hell like Great Adventure

No, but given it's location I think Batman being open is a guarantee. Get ready to fly.

What other coasters could be open? Pandemonium probably, the mine train? American Thunder? Obviously Justice League.

Boss and Eagle are obviously going to be down.

I don't really care how few rides are open, as long as I have a freaking sick a$$ B&M 4 hours away to ride to make the off season a lot shorter.

Do we know which rides will be open during Holiday in the Park? Hopefully we get the Batman out of hell like Great Adventure

No, but given it's location I think Batman being open is a guarantee. Get ready to fly.

What other coasters could be open? Pandemonium probably, the mine train? American Thunder? Obviously Justice League.

Boss and Eagle are obviously going to be down.

I don't really care how few rides are open, as long as I have a freaking sick a$$ B&M 4 hours away to ride to make the off season a lot shorter.

I took a picture of the map from the preview center some pages back (sorry, I can't find it on my phone). Pretty much the water rides and the back area beyond the railroad tracks will be closed. I don't know about American Thunder though.

I'm looking forward to riding Batman this December

It's tough to say. Probably Ninja based on the location and the fact that Arrows / Vekomas perform very well in cold temperatures. I think location plays more of a role than anything else. I don't see anything behind the train tracks being open due to staffing and how easy it is to cut off. I've heard Boss struggles in cold temperatures so that's probably out.

If I were to guess (and that's all I'd be doing), I'd say they'd open Batman, Ninja, Mine Train and Pandemonium (the kids area has to be open so the park has to be open back to it's general area no matter what), Mr Freeze is possible since they'll want Justice League to be open. I sort of feel like they'll cut the path at JB's and the train bridge by the gate and cut off the flume / car ride / American Thunder area.

Edited by coasterbill

I would concur for the most part, though I'd say they'll cut off the path farther west than JB's, so they can run Shazam and for access to the restrooms across from it (those are the only restrooms in that general area).

Also, intending to open Mr. Freeze and actually opening it are worlds apart. It ironically doesn't do well in cold weather.

I'm not confident in Mr. Freeze being open, I just think it's a possibility because of it's proximity to Justice League which will almost definitely be open. I'm very confident in Batman and Ninja and realatively confident about Mine Train / Pandemonium but I think Mr. Freeze is a crapshoot. I'm being optimistic but I'm really just blindly guessing based on location.

Agreed there. The whole Studio Backlot section should be open, since Batman, Ninja, and Joker are all very reliable. Mine Train and Pandemonium are very likely too because of the low height restrictions and proximity to Bugs Bunny National Park.

Having those areas open also gives them Joker, Shazam, Colossus, Xcalibur, and the carousel for flats. Maybe Highland Fling if it's working. Most of the park's flats are beyond the tracks, so they'll want to be sure there are at least a few going. So potentially 5 coasters, 6 flats, a dark ride, and the train, plus all of BBNP south of the tracks. Sounds good to me.

I disagree with that strongly. I haven't been to WOF's haunt so I can't compare them as great as you'd be able to, but I went in all of the mazes last night at Fright Fest, with the exception of Blackout (I've ignored that one since FF 2013), and they all had very strong themes and stuck to those themes pretty well. The Slaughter House had jars and barrels of human parts, and all the actors were dressed and equipped with meat cleavers and machetes and such, Blind Fury had amazing theming with the rooms full of stuffed animals and dolls, the racks of makeshift toys made out of arms and legs, and the actors in that maze always fit the maze very well too, not to mention the awesome boiling room finale scene with the flamethrower. Camp Killamore was set up like different parts of a summer camp like the Killamore Theater, the bathroom, the different dormitory buildings, not to mention the finale in the Mess Hall. Then Night Terrors, the new one for this year had different rooms based off of different fears. The fear of death, fear of clowns, etc etc.

I don't doubt that Worlds of Fun is ahead of Six Flags St Louis considering they aren't in a restructuring phase, but given the increasing amount of money the park is putting into it year after year I feel it's becoming a pretty great Halloween event.

You disagree with it strongly but haven't been to Haunt so you can't compare the two? I'm going to stop you right there.

As far as everyone's guesses on what will be open for HITP. At the ACE event in September, Pete Carmichael confirmed to the group that everything inside the train tracks would be open, weather permitting; and from what I gathered weather permitting is a little bit of trial and error on what stays operational since they have never had HITP before.

We were also in attendance yesterday. Did not do any mazes will go back some Sat night to do that but were letting some friends take advantage of our bring a friend free option to get some rides in. Busy but not Fri or Sat insane. JLBM surprisingly was working despite the fact that it was listed as close at park entrance, we walked right on using single rider, which is being way underutilized at this time. I explained to the group near the head of the line what it was when they questioned us bypassing the whole line. They had no idea, it always amazes me that people don't ask when they see the single rider sign but just get in line like sheep. However, several other rides went down. They closed Colossus due to wasps. And around 4:30 Thunder, Freeze, Ninja, and Superman were all down, not sure if something was going on or it was just really bad luck.

On a bright note.....the food trucks! They had 2 outside food trucks that I could see. Talked to one of the guys for a while and he said they were invited everyday for FF and that outside trucks had never been allowed in before (and I certainly have no memory of them) as long as they wanted to come. Asked him if they were planning on being there every weekend and he didn't know for sure until they counted up the receipts and made sure it was worth their while but based on the fact that they ran out of food on Sat night he thought it likely. Great idea!! Because the food service was slower than ever yesterday with very long lines. Of course they don't take dining pass but a lot of FF visitors come just for that event and don't have DP so hopefully it will help alleviates some crowds. Personally, I plan on using them when we go back to do mazes even though I have DP. By now we have more than payed for them with the number of uses AND getting some fresh good food is such a treat. Hopefully they will be successful and more will be invited in.

I would concur for the most part, though I'd say they'll cut off the path farther west than JB's, so they can run Shazam and for access to the restrooms across from it (those are the only restrooms in that general area).

Also, intending to open Mr. Freeze and actually opening it are worlds apart. It ironically doesn't do well in cold weather.

To add to this, the cut off would be pushed to at least the log flume exit, as that is where First Aid is.

Although at that point there isn't that much path left before you get right back to 1904.

Is American Thunder just not possible in the cold? It seems Dollywood and Hershey both run GCIs for Christmas events. Is SFSL prepared to use heaters under stations?

To add to this, the cut off would be pushed to at least the log flume exit, as that is where First Aid is.

Yes it is, good catch!

Although at that point there isn't that much path left before you get right back to 1904.

Is American Thunder just not possible in the cold? It seems Dollywood and Hershey both run GCIs for Christmas events. Is SFSL prepared to use heaters under stations?

There's still plenty of path, but there are only 3 attractions along it: Moon cars, American Thunder, and Log Flume. The flume obviously won't run during the Christmas festival, as it's already closed for the year. Moon cars requires a lot of staff and isn't really a draw these days.

So it comes down to a question of having that entire section open just for one ride, and I really doubt they would. There are going to be plenty of people who feel it's too cold to ride a roller coaster at all, and it would require quite a bit of staff. Remember, it's not just ride ops but also security, janitors, maybe games or food staff to try to monetize the traffic back there. Plus AT is a mandatory fluffy bunny ride, so you'd need that staff as well.

It's totally possible for them to run AT in the cold, but for the first year they're going to want to limit expenses. SF is nothing if not cheap.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

This is just a complete guess, but one reason to have it closed could be to work on the track & general maintenance. They need the offseason for maintenance, but I'm sure they have a careful plan worked out.

Also, I was wondering if someone would mention the food trucks. It's something interesting and at least made them put out some more tables.

This is just a complete guess, but one reason to have it closed could be to work on the track & general maintenance. They need the offseason for maintenance, but I'm sure they have a careful plan worked out.

Also, I was wondering if someone would mention the food trucks. It's something interesting and at least made them put out some more tables.

See my above post I talked about the food trucks on Sunday and had a conversation with one of the owners! I loved the idea! Of course they won't run flume during HITP, but to whomever said it was closed for season....it was running on Sunday..

Responding to HWfan......don't know why it didn't put his quote in the gray quote box to make it obvious

Is SFSL prepared to use heaters under stations?

Great Adventure didn't but I'd personally love to see them on Nitro. The other coasters don't seem to need them but early in the day Nitro was really crawling. Rides like Batman completely haul when they start switching to faster wheels even in incredibly low temperatures. I think some of the fastest rides we ever had on Batman were on 30 degree nights during Holiday in the Park with half empty trains. That ride defies physics, just wait... seriously...

Based on how much new power was just added to the roof of Justice League on the American Thunder side for HIP, I'd say there is an extremely high chance that whole path between Moon cars all the way to DC will be open. They wouldn't drop that many new electrical boxes all labeled as "HIP Roof" if there weren't plans to light that area up and be open. Plus as someone already said, they need a path open to First Aid.

I'm very much looking forward to ride our Batman again, let alone the faster wheel factor. Our Batman was always one of my favorite Batman clones. I hope it's still running as well as it did five years ago. I also hope the line isn't packed.

It's weird to think that I've probably ridden 2-3 other Batman clones since riding ours. It's also weird to think that it has been at least three years since I've ridden any Batman, period. Despite visiting a lot of parks within the past few years, Emily and I tend not to go out of our way for Six Flags parks, anymore.