TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I'm so glad I'm not one of these people who goes around looking for things to be offended about all the time or looking for problems in the words people use to describe things. That would be so damn exhausting...

^about the land, Six Flags recently sold half of it. They now own the land at the park up to the firehouse.

Why sell it? Now if they ever want to expand they will have to rebuy land. Short term gain, long term loss.

There will be no rebuying that land. It is being used for a housing development. Why keep land that isnt being used or will not likely be used when you can sell it for cash for other projects. The park is not going to be in any danger of running out of land anytime soon they still have plenty left over.

I'd be interested to see a map of what they currently own after the sale of that eastern chunk of land. I always wondered what the plan was gonna be if/when they decided to develop it. They only had that small strip of land by Tidal Wave to connect to the other property. Seems like the feng shui would've been thrown off.

There was never any plan for that land.... a VERY long time ago there was thought, but thats about all it was. This discussion has been had many time on here before, but the reason a large expansion would or will never happen is one reason... COST. To run utilities, new sewer lines, infrastructure, pathways, and everything else even before rides would be well over $10 mil. Once you add a few rides and attractions, easily $30 mil... not going to happen. At best, i could POSSIBLY see the road that goes from Batman gate to Tidal Wave gate become a pathway expansion, but HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that will ever happen. The only way the park would or will use that land is for a coaster.... and who says thats not already a possibility....

^about the land, Six Flags recently sold half of it. They now own the land at the park up to the firehouse.

Why sell it? Now if they ever want to expand they will have to rebuy land. Short term gain, long term loss.

There will be no rebuying that land. It is being used for a housing development. Why keep land that isnt being used or will not likely be used when you can sell it for cash for other projects. The park is not going to be in any danger of running out of land anytime soon they still have plenty left over.

I'd be interested to see a map of what they currently own after the sale of that eastern chunk of land. I always wondered what the plan was gonna be if/when they decided to develop it. They only had that small strip of land by Tidal Wave to connect to the other property. Seems like the feng shui would've been thrown off.

There was never any plan for that land.... a VERY long time ago there was thought, but thats about all it was. This discussion has been had many time on here before, but the reason a large expansion would or will never happen is one reason... COST. To run utilities, new sewer lines, infrastructure, pathways, and everything else even before rides would be well over $10 mil. Once you add a few rides and attractions, easily $30 mil... not going to happen. At best, i could POSSIBLY see the road that goes from Batman gate to Tidal Wave gate become a pathway expansion, but HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that will ever happen. The only way the park would or will use that land is for a coaster.... and who says thats not already a possibility....

I suppose if they did it systematically- one ride at a time, sort of how Dollywood connected the two ends of that park- then maybe it could work, but yeah, I hadn't really thought of the cost or ambitiousness of an undertaking of that sort. I was thinking more about park layout and traffic flow.

Not to mention, if SFSTL ever was given $30 mil, I would want it going towards a one of a kind, new, good steel coaster and towards majorly fixing up and upgrading the EXISTING park. They need to take care of the rest of the park first before adding on to it. Adding an entire new section doesn't fix the rest of the parks run down look, that's just another area of the park to eventually get run down. To put into perspective the amount it would cost to add an entire new section, think about this, back in 2006 when they added S:TOP and BBNP, that whole offseason upgrade cost $25 mil.

Did not mean to spark the anger... my bad. Anyways, I have trip planned for next weekend. Any ideas of wait times on saturday? Thanks.

Depends on the weather.

If its nice, and based on when I went last May on a gorgeous, sunny Saturday (afternoon times):

Batman: 20-30 min

Freeze: 20-30

Boss - 20-30

American Thunder -15-20

Pandemonium - 30-40

Ninja - 10-15

Boomerang - 20-30

Mine Train - 10-15

Superman - 30-40

Justice League - 50-60

Log Flume 15-20

Thunder River 20-30

Tsunami Soaker 10-15

most flats 15-20

Did not mean to spark the anger... my bad. Anyways, I have trip planned for next weekend. Any ideas of wait times on saturday? Thanks.

Depends on the weather.

If its nice, and based on when I went last May on a gorgeous, sunny Saturday (afternoon times):

Batman: 20-30 min

Freeze: 20-30

Boss - 20-30

American Thunder -15-20

Pandemonium - 30-40

Ninja - 10-15

Boomerang - 20-30

Mine Train - 10-15

Superman - 30-40

Justice League - 50-60

Log Flume 15-20

Thunder River 20-30

Tsunami Soaker 10-15

most flats 15-20

Thank you so much!!

Just a heads up to anyone visiting the park soon...

Justice League will be closed until May 14th. As I mentioned a couple pages back, the ride system is being updated. Now before anyone posts the whole "Classic Six Flags...they had the whole off season...etc", I want to point out that the park (any park) doesn't get to dictate when a manufacturer will have any kind of system update. I'm just happy that they are able to get it done before the park goes to full time operation.

Justice League will be closed until May 14th. As I mentioned a couple pages back, the ride system is being updated. Now before anyone posts the whole "Classic Six Flags...they had the whole off season...etc", I want to point out that the park (any park) doesn't get to dictate when a manufacturer will have any kind of system update. I'm just happy that they are able to get it done before the park goes to full time operation.

Software upgrade, hardware upgrade, or both?

Software upgrade, hardware upgrade, or both?

Based on what I've heard the drive system on the RVs (the system that controls all of the RV's movement including tilt and spin) are being replaced. This may require changes to the software.

So are the upgrades being done to the Texas version as well? Or just St Louis?

I don't know. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't.

The update is probably a change for the better.

The hope is that the update will significantly reduce ride downtime. If downtime now means less downtime later I would say its well worth it.

Rode Fireball today. Took 35 minutes without a full que. The ride was exactly as expected....meh.

One cool thing did happen today. While riding Freeze, it didn't make it up the first hill and came flying back in the station. Was stuck on it about 15 minutes.

Installing fans for hot days: good. Not turning them on: bad.

Knowing how to run the ride > knowing where the light switch is for ceiling fans. They will figure it out before the insane heat arrives. At least the queue isn't enclosed so at least you can get a natural breeze

Rode Fireball today. Took 35 minutes without a full que. The ride was exactly as expected....meh.

One cool thing did happen today. While riding Freeze, it didn't make it up the first hill and came flying back in the station. Was stuck on it about 15 minutes.

Freeze has never liked doing short shots. They are certainly interesting to ride though.

Great now they'll have to deal with "NIMBY" idiots

I can't imagine this will be a problem since SF is a pre-existing nuisance. Anyone who buys in a development next door wouldn't have a compelling case to argue that they never expected coaster noise (either in a legal sense, or in a zoning board meeting). I feel like the worst case is our extremely imaginary B&M hyper gets filled with sand to stifle some of the roar.

There was never any plan for that land.... a VERY long time ago there was thought, but thats about all it was. This discussion has been had many time on here before, but the reason a large expansion would or will never happen is one reason... COST.

I also have to think that there are upper limits for how big a park should be. Wikipedia puts the used land at SFStL at about 280 acres, and Epcot - a park frequently noted for its size - at 300. Obviously more room is devoted to sprawling rides at a (nominally) coaster focused park like SF, but still, there's only so much walking a guest can be expected to do before getting annoyed with sprawl.

By the way, did anyone run the coaster races this past weekend? How was it? Ironically, I missed out on it to run a race in Urbana.

Thoughts on Fireball:

-kids will probably like it, not your average theme park junkie.

-the que was only filled up with 3 of the 4 available rows and it still took 35 minutes to get strapped in.

-It will open with a single rider line.

-figure out the "loose article" situation. They state to remove everything from your pockets yet only had ONE small container (like Freeze) for 24 people to put things in. Also, the way it's laid out doesn't work. You have to go all the way up the stairs (if you are first in row 1 and 4) and cross through, then walk back down the stairs on the other side and through the exit to find a container for your valuables and the cup holder stand. That will be a nightmare for loading times.

-it looks cool, so there's that.

-in absolutely no hurry to ride it again.

Great now they'll have to deal with "NIMBY" idiots

I can't imagine this will be a problem since SF is a pre-existing nuisance. Anyone who buys in a development next door wouldn't have a compelling case to argue that they never expected coaster noise (either in a legal sense, or in a zoning board meeting). I feel like the worst case is our extremely imaginary B&M hyper gets filled with sand to stifle some of the roar.

There was never any plan for that land.... a VERY long time ago there was thought, but thats about all it was. This discussion has been had many time on here before, but the reason a large expansion would or will never happen is one reason... COST.

I also have to think that there are upper limits for how big a park should be. Wikipedia puts the used land at SFStL at about 280 acres, and Epcot - a park frequently noted for its size - at 300. Obviously more room is devoted to sprawling rides at a (nominally) coaster focused park like SF, but still, there's only so much walking a guest can be expected to do before getting annoyed with sprawl.

By the way, did anyone run the coaster races this past weekend? How was it? Ironically, I missed out on it to run a race in Urbana.

The NIMBY crowd came after DP too but that hasn't stopped it there.

Here comes that "world's tallest mule-go-round" rumor again

Rumor?? More like a wet dream!!

Here's what Walt Disney's original "Sky-Hi Mule-go-Round" concept looked like:

disneymule.jpg.213212d9c3c59adb522f2b167804a1b0.jpg