TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I still haven't figured out what they are promoting this one as other than 'new interactive dark ride'. There is a ton of signage in the park for it and a bat signal outside of the park, mentions in the park newsletter, but outside of the park I haven't seen much promotion at all. In some of the ride stations they will ask if people know about it, and the answers are usually mixed. I hope this does well, it was needed to balance out the attractions list.

Now this is completely speculation as I know nothing about SFOT's marketing team or strategy, but with the chance of delay even higher with prototype rides (Sally & the companies involved are the ones who used the word prototype, even though it may not seem that way looking at TF & SM @ Universal), it is sometimes best to wait until the ride opens or is close to opening too keep from just disappointing people. SFSL marketing is just starting to really kick off now it seems, based on the TV/radio commercials. SF is going to market the ride like crazy, especially with the great merchandising opportunities it brings.

Also, just to comment on the Warner Bros. (who do the DC and Loony Tunes with SF) licensing question, Six Flags is the main thing keeping the Loony Tunes brand alive. Pair that with the countless number of super hero movies coming up and more Marvel characters entering theme parks around the globe, Six Flags is extremely important to Warner Brothers. A non-renewal of any licensing with WB would be a lose-lose situation....unlike the termination of the Tony Hawk & Evel Kinevel contracts that were dropped, for the better, a few years ago.

I think you would be correct if an opening date was set, but that hasn't been done. Simply saying 'coming this summer' is good enough. Just saying I haven't seen much promotion on the ride outside the park. Building the anticipation for months in advance and getting kids to talk about it with their friends at school because of said anticipation equals a Yahtzee when the date is announced.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning a road trip this summer that includes SFOT (and SFFT, Cliff's and WOF) and can go any time between the second week in June and the end of August. From my reading, it sounds like earlier the better to miss the crowds. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

So me and my wife will be visiting on friday for the first time, we only have a half day to spend there. Any advice on how to conquor the park to get the most done. Thanks. We will not be using flash pass..

The park is closed on Friday according to their site. Do you have passes to some type of private event?

^ http://aisdeducationcelebration.com/

So me and my wife will be visiting on friday for the first time, we only have a half day to spend there. Any advice on how to conquor the park to get the most done. Thanks. We will not be using flash pass..

If you are going to the special event, the park will likely be your oyster. If you are not and you are going Saturday let us know and someone will be able to provide a game plan.

Will someone please tell Steve to spend the extra $$$ to paint the old corrugated sheet metal on the old building part of JLBFM. These things make it look like you either don't care or didn't notice. I am pretty sure that neither is the case.

They still have a good amount of time before the ride opens and its rain season. It wouldn't take but a week with the correct equipment to give it a quick spray, hell maybe even just a few days if one had enough man power so there is still hope!

A group of friends and I went to the park last Saturday and really enjoyed ourselves. The staff was working very efficiently, all the rides were running, and it was an overall beautiful day. There were a lot of people due to a Student Council convention that was happening where the second day the entire convention goes to Six Flags the day after, so we were going through hoards of high school students all day, but regardless of the added length to the queue lines we managed to ride everything we wanted and more.

We departed from Texas A&M at about 6:00 Friday night and drove straight to Southlake to a friends house to crash for the night. 10 of us went, so therefore we were able to purchase discounted group tickets. We arrived to the park the next day around noon-ish to moderate crowds, and a reorganized system to get people through the front gates. Very efficient and friendly staff right up front. Right after we got in ny friend and I upgraded our tickets to season passes; he's from Southlake so he can make the 15 minute drive to Six Flags anyday, but I live in Houston, a solid 2 1/2 hours from Fiesta Texas, but I still frequent the parks enough for a season pass. I plan on visiting in the summer, but now that I live in College Station for school, I live significantly closer to Dallas and can head up on a weekend if I want to. With that in mind, I plan to experience Fright Fest for the first time this coming Halloween.

Now the rides: We started right off the bat with Mr. Freeze, and rode it again later on in the day. Such a fun ride. Superman was running the program where it takes you back up to the top before dropping you, unlike it does in the summer months when it is too hot to function as described. I had never experienced Superman like that so it was certainly a treat. When I rode it a few years back it shot up and bounced back down and that was it. Shockwave will always be a favorite for me. Such a cool ride, even for it's age. Titan ran well, the crew was dispatching frequently. Texas Giant as always was amazing. Crew was going through the line at an OK pace, they could have been much faster, but they still got through the line efficiently. We rode it twice, both times in the back. CRAZY INTENSE. Judge Roy Scream rides so much better with the retracking. HUGE difference, and everyone who had ridden it before agreed. So glad it's still getting some TLC, it's such a beautiful coaster (although it could use some fresh white paint).

Battle For Metropolis is coming along well and construction continues on what i'm assuming will be the queue. Also, there is some minor construction happening in Bugs Bunny's Boomtown; seems like a small structure, doesn't look to be anything too big, but I haven't heard anything about it, so If you happen to swing by the park check it out. Also, I don't know how I didn't know this because I'm pretty sure it's been announced already, but Roaring Rapids has reopened. Minor breakdown during the day, but it is open.

At 6:00, 7 of the 10 of us departed back to College Station while me and two others stayed at the park until closing at 10:00. We rode Batman, Freeze the second time, got the second to last train of the night on Texas Giant, and then we hit the road. We got back into College Station at 1:30, switched cars and dropped people off, and I pulled up to my apartment at 2:00am and went straight to sleep. I woke up the next day and my voice was hoarse and body sore but had no regrets. We all had an amazing time, got to ride everything we wanted, all the major coasters, Superman, and can't wait to go back.

So glad it seems like Six Flags Over Texas is coming out of that bump in the road and is quickly returning to their level of customer service and speedy operations they once had.

Also, there is some minor construction happening in Bugs Bunny's Boomtown; seems like a small structure, doesn't look to be anything too big, but I haven't heard anything about it, so If you happen to swing by the park check it out.

Glad you had a good time, the revamped operations you experienced have become more of the norm this season which is very welcome.

I believe the building you speak of is to replace a small mechanical room that caught fire this winter. I believe it housed the electrical panels for some of the rides in BBB. There is actually a generator hidden in the area thats keeping a few of the rides operational at the moment.

Rumors are going around that a muiltmillion dollar B&M Wing Rider is coming to SFOT in 2017? Apparently, the coaster would be placed directly behind Batman, and stretching into abandoned mini mall area.

Based on my experience with Wing coasters, my enthusiasm for this rumor would be considerably less than .

I've seen the pov's of the Justice League ride in Australia and I must say I'm underwhelmed. It looks to me like a pale attempt to copy MIB the ride at Universal Florida.

If JLBFM turns out anything like that it'll be a mediocre attraction at best.

Trust me, it's going to be well advance than that. Like . . . WELL ADVANCE! Imagine MIB, Transformers, and Spiderman all in one. Put that in a Six Flags park and you got something better than slice bread. But with more technological details.

I've seen the pov's of the Justice League ride in Australia and I must say I'm underwhelmed. It looks to me like a pale attempt to copy MIB the ride at Universal Florida.

It won't be anything like the one in Australia. This is a totally new ride developed just for SFOT and SFStL.

Trust me, it's going to be well advance than that. Like . . . WELL ADVANCE! Imagine MIB, Transformers, and Spiderman all in one. Put that in a Six Flags park and you got something better than slice bread. But with more technological details.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoScJ7H7a4Y

Maybe for the first season... This is six flags, looks great the first year and then special effects just fall away as the ride gets older...

Rumors are going around that a muiltmillion dollar B&M Wing Rider is coming to SFOT in 2017? Apparently, the coaster would be placed directly behind Batman, and stretching into abandoned mini mall area.

One of the park security guards told me this 2 years ago. He said management had been talking about bringing a Wing Rider into the park.

Whatever.

Real shame too. While it was nice to refurbish the Texas Giant, Pandemonium in all essence is a family coaster with a "Twist"...see what I did there? I basically feel like we haven't gotten a true new roller coaster since Titan and that was in 2001...I'm ready for a new one. I Floorless or Wing Rider would fit well into our lineup. We have a gap in our lineup and one of those could fill it in.

One thing is for sure, with the amount of money they poured into the Judge rehab, it's not going anywhere soon, so I guess pondkeeper won't happen.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong), the city of Arlington has some sort of deal with SFOT about the land with JRS and Shock Wave on it. Something about them not being able to remove those rides and add a new one. Something about the creek on SW, and not sure the deal on the JRS land. I just remember reading something about the city not letting the park change out the rides. I'm sure someone on here has the full story on that.

The Judge rehab was long overdue. It rides so much better. I actually enjoy and suggest this ride. It's so nice to have another coaster in my ride line up, even if we aren't getting a new one anytime soon.

Anyways, I haven't enjoyed JRS this much since I was a kid ridding it back in the mid-late 80's!!