TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Maybe I've missed something. But what's going on with Mr. freeze?? Going in a few weeks and hope that it's open.

Its up and running.

I sure hope they fixed what keeps breaking down. So far we have struck out. Both times, no go. Was frustrating.

Hi all,

I am very new to this site so forgive me if I posted in the wrong place. My family will be going to Six Flags( Arlington) for the first time on April 11the and I was hoping for some advice from the pros. We typically visit WDW 3 times a year are used to building a detailed plan but with zero experience inside SFOT it is hard to develop a plan. We do plan to get there before park opening ( rope drop), leave mid day for a break, then return that evening. Below are some rides that we are wanting to do along with some expectations around what my little girl will want to do over and over.

We are not big thrill riders yet. The most thrilling ride she will do at Disney is Everest. Can anyone advise on the order in which I should try and tackle all of this. Also any advice welcome.

Judge Roy ( multiple times, expect this to be her favorite)

Runaway Mountain ( at least once, hoping my little girl will love since she has yet to ride space mountain. These 2 rides look similar, are they? Which is more intense?

Pandemonium ( possibly multiple times)

Runaway Train( multiple times)

La Viobra

Batwing

Charparral Cars

Cloud Bouncer

Conquistador

Crazy Legs

El Assarradero

El Sombrero

La Fiesta De Tazas

Mini Mine Train

Roaring Rapids

Rodeo

Sidwinder

Go-Karts

Gold River Adventure

So as I sit here and procrastinate getting my life together (and avoiding online classes at the same time) I thought I'd share a few from last night.

I'm sure many don't know this but yes, I do visit the park more than I should, but it's a great way to exercise and keep my girlish figure. Last night was one of those nights with a crowds refusing to leave I walked for a few hours stopping every now and again to wear out my camera.

Anyway, here you go.

1687789161_3_13.15079.JPG.121f21e4f2622a8611cc8364b1dedcea.JPG

77307516_3_13.15126.JPG.247f7a36df9cf648b5c85490a105046b.JPG

1775627421_3_13.15175.JPG.12d53a5dd717503ad66acafcf8371098.JPG

Looks surreal

527631843_3_13.15205.JPG.302677717ad88cecb6399bdc799ce354.JPG

1621252727_3_13.15230.JPG.7657a6aef56cfac224f1f81aa3c7896c.JPG

But this was actually what it looks like at 10pm

407323933_3_13.15241.thumb.JPG.bbc875226a652773ac47f91ff38668db.JPG

1294672604_3_13.15280.JPG.8a92fb1f732d870ed16eb7dcba8e969c.JPG

Snowy might be a tad damaged, but in a creepy way, I like it.

Hi all,

I am very new to this site so forgive me if I posted in the wrong place. My family will be going to Six Flags( Arlington) for the first time on April 11the and I was hoping for some advice from the pros. We typically visit WDW 3 times a year are used to building a detailed plan but with zero experience inside SFOT it is hard to develop a plan. We do plan to get there before park opening ( rope drop), leave mid day for a break, then return that evening. Below are some rides that we are wanting to do along with some expectations around what my little girl will want to do over and over.

We are not big thrill riders yet. The most thrilling ride she will do at Disney is Everest. Can anyone advise on the order in which I should try and tackle all of this. Also any advice welcome.

Runaway Mountain ( at least once, hoping my little girl will love since she has yet to ride space mountain. These 2 rides look similar, are they? Which is more intense?

La Viobra

Batwing

Charparral Cars

Cloud Bouncer

Conquistador

Crazy Legs

El Assarradero

El Sombrero

La Fiesta De Tazas

Mini Mine Train

Roaring Rapids

Rodeo

Sidwinder

Go-Karts

Gold River Adventure

To try and answer your questions, Saturdays are generally busy but April 11th probably not overly busy. Leaving midday is a good thing as that is when the park will hit it's peak.

If I were you I would ride Pandemonium out of the box as its a lower capacity ride that often gets waits of 45 minutes plus. From there Runaway Mountain is not far and would suggest that being your second stop, although late in the day the lines on it diminish quite a bit. La Vibrator is a crap shoot on when it opens and often has issues throughout the day. However once leaving Runaway Mountain I would cut through JB's BBQ and place myself at Gold River which will likely be the last of the super long lines outside of La Vibrator. Heading from Gold River depending on temps the log flume would be a great bet as it will drop you off next to La Vibrator and a few other flats on your list. (Rodeo is on the way but sometimes has a late opening as does Roaring Rapids) The rest of the rides on your list shouldn't have a painfully long wait.

Shockwave is a great beginners looping coaster so while you're at the go-karts might as well give it a try. Runaway Mountain is basically a carnival coaster thats indoors, custom made, just not on the level of space mountain. Judge had some major work done this winter and will likely be her top choice.

Have fun

Edited by larrygator

La Viobra

Batwing

Charparral Cars

Cloud Bouncer

Conquistador

Crazy Legs

El Assarradero

El Sombrero

La Fiesta De Tazas

Mini Mine Train

Roaring Rapids

Rodeo

Sidwinder

Go-Karts

Gold River Adventure

It's Texas, and although it's not near summer yet, expect long lines on a weekend, in particular for the water rides(so yeah, Roaring Rapids, and El Assarradero (either side, since both flumes appear to be open this season) will have long waits no matter what time). So I'd save the water rides for last.

the two "coasters" that will have long waits will be Pandemonium, and La Vibora -- and unfortunately, they are opposite directions from the park entrance. Judge Roy never had much of a line, but the re-tracking (and that it's at the front of the park), might get it to have a slightly longer wait this year.

personally, i'd go for the bobsleds (La Vibora) first as soon as you get in the park, as once that line gets long, it NEVER gets shorter (unless you are doing single rider line). Then hit Pandemonium thruout the day whenever you see the line starting to be short (the loading on this is terrible, but sometimes the line does get short).

The non-coasters you list will all be walk on, or short waits (in particular, Rodeo NEVER seems to have a line, as it's kinda hidden down a cut-path near the flumes).

I personally find Space Mountain more intense than Runaway Mountain, simply due to the "effects". . Runaway Mountain is fast, but dark. . so you won't know what's coming.

and although I know you'll be there as a family, and the kiddo will likely find it too intense, you really, really SHOULD try to get on Shockwave yourself, as it's an amazing coaster, and the line moves fast.

maybe send your wife and kid up to the Oil Derrick tower (near the entrance of Shockwave's queue) so they can enjoy the breeze and the views, while you get to ride?

Titan, Giant, Mr. Freeze, and Batman are likely too intense for the little one, and the lines will be lengthy enough you won't want to leave the family to get on (a shame as all 4 are quite fun). .but hey. . family time

have a great time!

I took advantage of the extended spring break schedule and the gorgeous weather today and took my 4 year old out to the park for a few hours. I was surprised (not sure why since the weather was so nice) to find that we were only a dozen or so spaces away from having to park in the overflow lot. They were running trams and there was almost no wait at the turnstiles. Even for a day when they looked to be short of staff, they had nearly every turnstile open.

We hit up a handful of kid-friendly rides: Convoy, the kiddie swings, the splash battle knockoff, Gold River, the antique cars, a full lap on the train, and Boot Scootin. The employees were friendly and incredibly efficient. Everything was a 1 cycle wait or better except for Gold River and the antique cars (both around 10 minute waits). It was pretty obvious they were a little short-handed due to most area schools being back in session today - a few rides were closed (the acme rockets in the kids area, El Sombrero, Flume 1, Shockwave looked to be 1 train only) and a few were staffed by supervisors.

Just a couple of random observations: I've said for the last few years that Gold River never looked to be in as bad condition as its reputation suggests, but I noticed a marked deterioration from our visit in December. There were a few animations and lighted scenes that were not working at all and the "old faithful" scene had no running water at all and the fiberglass around the "geysers" was cracked and broken in several places. All of that was a little surprising a week into a new season. We also had a unique experience on the train. The train laid down and couldn't make the hill between the front gate tunnel and La Vibora. I'm pretty sure there was a stuck brake caliper on the coach we were on because it was making a pretty awful noise from the depot to that point. The engineers spent some time draining air lines and whatnot and they eventually backed up and made a successful reattempt at making the hill.

All in all, a very nice first visit to the park for the year. I think we'll make another trip Friday or Saturday evening if the weather cooperates.

The 21st will likely be busy, last saturday of spring break and all, but getting there at rope drop you should be able to knock out 5 or 6 in the first 90 minutes. I'll be around I'm sure.

Also on the solo front for those local, I rode solo in the back row on Freeze the other day, nothing was said, so here's to hoping that rule is gone as well.

I tried to ride in the backseat of Freeze alone last Tuesday (3/10) and was asked to move up a row. Just my .02. That was also my first time visiting SFOT and I have to say I was really impressed. You guys have a solid ride line lineup, everyone was very friendly, the park seemed cared for, and I thought that operations were pretty decent overall.

La Viobra

Batwing

Charparral Cars

Cloud Bouncer

Conquistador

Crazy Legs

El Assarradero

El Sombrero

La Fiesta De Tazas

Mini Mine Train

Roaring Rapids

Rodeo

Sidwinder

Go-Karts

Gold River Adventure

It's Texas, and although it's not near summer yet, expect long lines on a weekend, in particular for the water rides(so yeah, Roaring Rapids, and El Assarradero (either side, since both flumes appear to be open this season) will have long waits no matter what time). So I'd save the water rides for last.

the two "coasters" that will have long waits will be Pandemonium, and La Vibora -- and unfortunately, they are opposite directions from the park entrance. Judge Roy never had much of a line, but the re-tracking (and that it's at the front of the park), might get it to have a slightly longer wait this year.

personally, i'd go for the bobsleds (La Vibora) first as soon as you get in the park, as once that line gets long, it NEVER gets shorter (unless you are doing single rider line). Then hit Pandemonium thruout the day whenever you see the line starting to be short (the loading on this is terrible, but sometimes the line does get short).

The non-coasters you list will all be walk on, or short waits (in particular, Rodeo NEVER seems to have a line, as it's kinda hidden down a cut-path near the flumes).

I personally find Space Mountain more intense than Runaway Mountain, simply due to the "effects". . Runaway Mountain is fast, but dark. . so you won't know what's coming.

and although I know you'll be there as a family, and the kiddo will likely find it too intense, you really, really SHOULD try to get on Shockwave yourself, as it's an amazing coaster, and the line moves fast.

maybe send your wife and kid up to the Oil Derrick tower (near the entrance of Shockwave's queue) so they can enjoy the breeze and the views, while you get to ride?

Titan, Giant, Mr. Freeze, and Batman are likely too intense for the little one, and the lines will be lengthy enough you won't want to leave the family to get on (a shame as all 4 are quite fun). .but hey. . family time

have a great time!

Thank you guys so much. You and Chadster have been a great help

^ Welcome!

The 21st will likely be busy, last saturday of spring break and all, but getting there at rope drop you should be able to knock out 5 or 6 in the first 90 minutes. I'll be around I'm sure.

Also on the solo front for those local, I rode solo in the back row on Freeze the other day, nothing was said, so here's to hoping that rule is gone as well.

I tried to ride in the backseat of Freeze alone last Tuesday (3/10) and was asked to move up a row. Just my .02. That was also my first time visiting SFOT and I have to say I was really impressed. You guys have a solid ride line lineup, everyone was very friendly, the park seemed cared for, and I thought that operations were pretty decent overall.

Yeah, looks like I just got lucky. The park has made some dramatic changes in operations since Apple retired and it shows. I like what I've been seeing.

I was very, very pleased by the improvements in ride operations I saw yesterday during my first visit for the year. A decidedly moderate crowd for Spring Break definitely helped, but things were moving fast and smoothly all over the park. We got in by 11:05 and found Giant running all three trains and virtually a walk-on, so jumped right on it before it turned into its usual self, but had no problem riding whatever we wanted with little delay all day--with the exceptions of Vibora (duh, haven't done non-singles in years), Runaway Mountain (its usual self), the Freeze/Batman combo which our kid companion was too short to ride, and SkyScreamer, which kid and adults alike agreed was a no-go. I might get the nerve back next time, but I'm still recovering from my first time on it being at night with winds just slow enough to run the ride.

I was very, very pleased by the improvements in ride operations I saw yesterday during my first visit for the year. A decidedly moderate crowd for Spring Break definitely helped, but things were moving fast and smoothly all over the park. We got in by 11:05 and found Giant running all three trains and virtually a walk-on, so jumped right on it before it turned into its usual self, but had no problem riding whatever we wanted with little delay all day--with the exceptions of Vibora (duh, haven't done non-singles in years), Runaway Mountain (its usual self), the Freeze/Batman combo which our kid companion was too short to ride, and SkyScreamer, which kid and adults alike agreed was a no-go. I might get the nerve back next time, but I'm still recovering from my first time on it being at night with winds just slow enough to run the ride.

Since Texas schools are mostly in session the crowds are much lighter the second week making it the perfect time for Oklahoma spring breakers to come down, the side effect is that most of their staff is in school reducing some rides' capacity. Unfortunately Giant only has two trains that are operational, black and red. The third train, blue, is in annual rehab.

This is very good to see. I NEVER complain, I just suck it up and deal with it because I love rides and go so often that a lot of us probably know more about the park than some of the employees themselves. I finally burst this past season during Holiday in the park. I went to Cedar Point in September and they have the reputation of having some of the best in the business in turns of ride operators...it was like Heaven compared to the way SFOT ride ops the last 3 or 4 years. It was like visiting another country and coming back to the US with new eyes. I called Six Flags, and to their credit, they let me vent and tell them what I was tired of and how I bought Cedar Fair season passes this year even though I live here in Dallas. That the way they run their parks is THAT much better that it's worth me paying for 5 or 6 flights this year (visiting Cedar Point at least 3 times, King's Dominion, King's Island, and Carowinds). I'm very happy to see that Six Flags took a lot of people who finally complained seriously to start making changes. I was genuinely trying to help them when I spoke to a supervisor. I'm looking forward to hopefully a good season this year!

-I know that feeling on Sky Screamer, as much as I love thrills, for some reason I can't seem to look forward to riding this ride. I give it a complimentary ride almost each time I go, but I actually sit somewhat nervous in the seat. It does a good job of making you feel like you're not secure with those little chains in front of you. In December though, my fiancee and I caught a night where it was pretty windy, but it was open...the seats were making full rotations because of the wind...I got down on a knee and praised the Lord when I got off! I was legitimately a little freaked out that time.

-I know that feeling on Sky Screamer, as much as I love thrills, for some reason I can't seem to look forward to riding this ride. I give it a complimentary ride almost each time I go, but I actually sit somewhat nervous in the seat. It does a good job of making you feel like you're not secure with those little chains in front of you. In December though, my fiancee and I caught a night where it was pretty windy, but it was open...the seats were making full rotations because of the wind...I got down on a knee and praised the Lord when I got off! I was legitimately a little freaked out that time.

It scared the bejesus out of me. Really got me in the ol' reflexive terror, lizard brain part of my head. I was very impressed/slightly ashamed, especially when little kids were rushing by me and begging to go again. I don't think any coaster could even give me pause anymore (maybe TTD/KK) but this overgrown swing set nailed me.