TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USF, IOA, Epic) Discussion Thread

P. 625: Harry Potter Ministry of Magic revealed!

I think Disney may own the rights to Lord of the Rings, but I'm not really sure.

Nah, the Tolkien estate owns that, and they're very protective of it. They haven't responded favorably to the films, and would probably dislike the idea of a theme park even more. The films were only made because the film rights had been sold years ago.

I'd personally love a Middle Earth themed area, but it does seem a little bit redundant with the Harry Potter thing coming up.

When will they ever learn to welcome the quality competition? Orlando parks would never have any reason to consistently improve if they didn't have each other to feed off of.

As a Disney fan who has never been to Universal, I agree 100%. All the bashing back and forth is completely unnecessary. We go to Disney because our children are very young, and we love it. When they are a little bit older, we'll start taking them to Universal, too.

We're not into the Harry Potter stuff at all. My son is almost old enough for it, now, but I don't think he'd really get into it. My daughter is only 4, but I think she would love it, when she's a few years older.

I'm glad to see Universal ramping it up, because the other parks will take the challenge. Everybody wins!

One thing I haven't really seen discussed in this thread is Rowling's reputation for being a control freak. I wonder how much say she has in all of this? Although I would imagine that Universal wouldn't be going forward with the project if she had the power to make life miserable for them.

Just curious.

If it is really going to take over the lost Continent I have to say I am really not a fan of the idea.

1. when I want o IOA I really felt that the lost Continent really was a very unique and real well themed area, which would be a shame to lose.

2. Is harry potter is a fad and on that is going to be dieing probably with in a few years. The last book is on the way and the 5th movie is already on the way.

So while when this new / redone section opens it might give a new rush of Harry potter fans to IOA in the long run I really doubt it is the best move.

If it is really going to take over the lost Continent I have to say I am really not a fan of the idea.

1. when I want o IOA I really felt that the lost Continent really was a very unique and real well themed area, which would be a shame to lose.

2. Is harry potter is a fad and on that is going to be dieing probably with in a few years. The last book is on the way and the 5th movie is already on the way.

So while when this new / redone section opens it might give a new rush of Harry potter fans to IOA in the long run I really doubt it is the best move.

People have mentioned (and pretty much proven) that Harry Potter will not just be a "fad". Even if it did die, I’m sure it would be a sanctuary for die hard fans. I do totally agree with your #1 statement.

Also, with this new "layout" with DD and Flying Unicorn being rethemed, and the land behind Jurassic Park. IMO, that would be dumb. The only land JP would have would be the Triceratops Encounter. Also, why would they build a train bringing people to the new ride in the parking lot? It seems like a really complicated/bad layout.

I love the idea. Having worked at Dragons and Unicorn the last few months (and no longer working there) I can say that there's been a lot of activity in the area between Unicorn and River over the past couple of months. (aka people with blue prints and surveying).

Also, the parking lot in question was shut down several months ago as well.. which for some reason never clicked in my head why that would be until this annoucement. Duh.

And finally, I remember reading an article on Jim Hill Media (not the *most* reliable source but still a decent one) about Universal signing exclusive rights to Kuka ride technology through 2017. So.. it's obvious of what the new ride system will be.. plus with its adjustable intensity settings it'd be a perfect fit for EVERYONE.

Im going to beat a dead horse now :

The thing labeled number 4 looks like Dragons. It's right where the observation area on the exit ramp is.

It also looks like they are moving the entrance to Dragons (bye bye Fire and Ice statues) up closer to the castle and putting a path where the current outdoor extended queue line is that leads back to a building behind Unicorn.

Anyways it looks awesome. I guess we can assume they are going to start breaking ground for this in the near future.

Dont touch the Alchemy Bar!!

In reponse to what Disney will do, I agree with some earlier posts on the idea of an Indiana Jones ride. But other than retheming their already-in-place Star Wars ride, I doubt anything new will come about. I personally think they should make rides themed to Pirates and the Incredibles. We all know how succesful pirates is, and superhero-themed rides are always succesful. I also think Disney needs to provide a larger variety of experiences for more daring guests. Still keep a family theme, but more intense rides.

The fountain should stay,first, it's awesome. Second, they'll probably retheme it to a gargoyle or something. Third, talking non-living objects fit perfect with the HP/ magic theme.

Or... make a different one but make it the hat that decides which section of Hogwarts you go to.

I think the only thing we have to worry about 'going out of style' is the technology of the rides being put in, but so far, universal has been doing a great job keeping things up-to-date, so i really dont see a problem with this area 15 years from now. I mean take Spiderman for example. It's 8 years old.. 8! and it's still a freaking great ride. will this new HP island stand the test of time... i say yes.

The fan base is there, and the ride technology Universal always puts out is there. And I too, will be there.

Nobody really knows what the ride is going to be like... the robotic arms could be stationary... kinda like the fast and furious thing at Universal in California (Even if they arn't stationary thats kinda what its going to be like). Don't forget how darn tall the building is.

How do you know it is going in that building?

I think the only thing we have to worry about 'going out of style' is the technology of the rides being put in, but so far, universal has been doing a great job keeping things up-to-date, so i really dont see a problem with this area 15 years from now. I mean take Spiderman for example. It's 8 years old.. 8! and it's still a freaking great ride. will this new HP island stand the test of time... i say yes.

The fan base is there, and the ride technology Universal always puts out is there. And I too, will be there.

I totally agree with you. Since Spider Man, nothing that I know of has even come close to as good as Spider Man in the simulator type of ride. This just shows how much detail and money Universal puts into their attractions, so no matter what happens, you know it will be done the right way.

I personally think they should make rides themed to Pirates

Hey, that's a great idea! They could even base it off those movies they've been making recently... What are they called? Oh right, Pirates of the Caribbean. That would be a perfect name for a theme park attraction! So who do we call to get this idea off the ground?

Personaly, I think there's way to much speculation based on one piece of concept drawing. You can't really go by that one sheet. It seems to me that they were just trying to cram every bit of HP onto one poster. There's realy no flow or structure to it at all. The only real details that we know of is that it will take up roughly 20 acres, have the replicas, absorb some of LC and have 3 attractions.

I am anxiously awaiting some sort of blueprints, mock ups, hard evidence of location, as well as some "real" concept drawings. I guarantee there are already 100s of them that they arn't or won't release to the public untill they're ready. As far as I'm concerned the "concept drawings" that they did reveal realy seem more to me like a movie poster than real concept drawings.

I think it (the HP Island) will be great whatever they choose to do.

So I have been a long time reader but I really haven't post too much, I never really wanted to get into arguing matches, but I have some points that some people might wanna take into consideration. I use to work at IOA over a year ago for seven years, but with the new HP expansion I wanted to show my theory of whats going to happen. Well first I wanna say I hope DD and FU doesn't change as well as Enchanted Oak.... I love Alchemy Bar. Anyways below is a map with areas higlighted. I believe that the sinbad area might be used as a portal to the new HP area. Which is highlighted in lime green. The area behind Sinbad is both an operations building and landscaping. Landscaping can easily be moved even off property if it has to be, but the operations building might be leveled, I'll explain later. The area outside of the yellow surrounded by purple is a hess gas station, now i don't see if moving but it could, hess is a sponsor of UO and I don't think they wanna lose it. Now the area in orange is a tech services building, from what i was told that the building is original from the old park and is in poor shape. Tech services could be moved and it might be easier to level that building. behind that in red is a productions building and I believe DAVE school. But once again its an older building and it too might be leveled. just in front of that building is a huge parking lot used for managers and production. I do believe this is where HP will sit with the area in yellow. Now you ask what to do with those buildings? Just north of that parking lot is a new tower that was built for offices. Well if the rumours about the "other" expansion is correct that includes two hotels, and a new office complex on the far side behind MIB. So move the managers offices and production into the new tower behind MIB and IOA operations into the current tower . and that area can be pretty much vacant. So is everyone with me, or did i lose everyone?

ioa2.bmp

Map of new HP area

Hmmm...I wonder if the operations and maintenance offices will move into the non-Blue Man Group space in the old Nick Building? BMG seems to occupy only half the space and the Nick Building is rather large.

Whorabunny, you're not saying B114 would be leveled I hope! It would suck for any IOA supervisors to be positioned anywhere else. I agree with the rest of what you said though. Anything else in the area could be moved relatively easily.

I also agree with not touching the Alchemy Bar!! But I think a bar that has the dark wizarding feel to it would be an amazing place to get a few drinks during happy hour and stumble over to Dumbledore's Dragons!

This whole thing is supposed to be pretty low budget... which is why they are pretty much re theming existing buildings. Destroying and rebuilding things that are essential for park operation pretty much go against that I think.

As for the the concept art not accurately describing whats going to be built is true, concept are never really is accurate but I think the general area that others have already described is a bit more accurate than what you have described.

When the article did mention a parking lot I think they were referring to that little part of landscaping parking lot, not anything beyond that.

Where did it say that this going to be low budget?

"Universal intends to spend between $230 million to $265 million to create the "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at Islands of Adventure along with a previously announced Simpsons attraction, according to a filing Thursday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

This year alone, the expenditure is expected to reach between $75 million and $85 million, the filing said."

That does not low budget to me, but hey each to there own.