TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Going to Michigan's Adventure for the first time near the end of August! How is their water park and how are crowds?

The water park is usually pretty busy. You can get through the park pretty easily, though. They even have a Coasters restaurant like other Cedar Fair parks.

While Cedar Fair parks will show their new additions for their parks in these next few weeks (besides Mi Ad, hope I'm wrong). I decided to come up with a list that I think would help make this park meet what most of us think it could be. Most of these have been brought up before, so I'm not coming up with anything out of the blue. Honestly 1-4 are interchangeable. I thought about adding something next to Shivering Timbers helix, but hiding any part of the pride of the park can't happen.

1. Replace Hydroblaster for drop capsule slides

2. Planet Snoopy (9 rides)

• a. Coasters: Great Pumpkin Coaster and Woodstock Express
    b. Old: Be-Bop (Peanuts Turnpike), Splashers (Snoopy's Splash Dance),
    c. New: Woodstock Whirlybirds, Linus Launcher, Lucy's Tugboat, Flying Ace Aerial Chase
    d. Relocate: Airplanes ( Snoopy vs Red Baron)
    e. Remove: Elephants, Copters, Motorcycles, Kiddie cars

3. Connect path from Thunderhawk to Shivering Timbers

1. a. Zamperla Mini Discovery and Zierer Tower Speed Coaster

4. Sit-down restaurant near Hawk and Rapids

5. Arcade removed for water-park expansion (Bowl Slide)

6. County Fair theme area from Scrambler to Farm

7. Larson Loop next to bumper cars.

8. Dark ride on expanded path near Rapids

Going to Michigan's Adventure for the first time near the end of August! How is their water park and how are crowds?

Me and my wife have gone 3 times in the last 2 weeks and the park has been pretty crowded. Luckily the water park has crazy good capacity. They have 3 wave pools, 2 kids areas, and a huge amount of slide towers.

Timbers is running fairly well this year. The blue trains looks awful though. All worn out and paint peeling. Time for some timberliners.

Thunderhawk has one train this is running good, The other train has the usual slc shuffle.

Parking lot has been passing TImbers 2nd hill on many days lately. Around 2 the dry side should clear out as everyone goes to the waterpark. Around 7 the dryside will be slammed again. You should have a good time. Hit Wildcat first since it has been pulling an hour plus wait lately and its getting bouncyier then ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With a couple of friends, I visited Michigan's Adventure back in June during a trip around Lake Michigan. It was my first time there. It becomes my 3rd Cedar Fair park visited and my 7th park visited after Six Flags St. Louis, Six Flags Great America, King's Island, Cedar Point, Mt. Olympus & Denver's Lakeside.

I knew it was going to be smaller, so I kept my expectations low and figured we's only spend about 4 hours there.

Thunder hawk was our first coaster ride. I was expecting the usual Vekoma head-banging, but it was fairly smooth for a Vekoma. I actually enjoyed the ride and it was the favorite ride of my one friend.

Second coaster was Shivering Timbers, the one I was most excited about. The loading operations were quite efficient and the waiting went fast. And as expected, this became my favorite coaster in the park. So much airtime!

2 of us rode Wolverine Wildcat. Since my other friend is 70 years old and cursed riding the Boss at SFTL back in 2013, I told him that he may want to set this one out. Unfortunately, I we had no idea he'd be sitting on the bench for over an hour. It rough as expected, but we still liked it. I think my friend got banged up more than I did. It would be nice if it had a second train, but that probably won't be happening at this point.

4th coaster was the Corkscrew, which was one of the smoother Arrow coasters I've ridden. And given it's shorter height and duration, and slower speeds, it became my older friend's favorite. It was a bit short and tame for the other 2 of us, but still fun to ride a classic.

5th was the Crazy Mouse ride, which broke down earlier in the day just before we were able to board. Wild Mice don't do much for me, but this was a must-ride given its record size and the fact it was built by Arrow. Again, my older friend sat out for this one based on a previous experience had had with another Wild Mouse years ago. It was pretty fun. The ride is fairly tame, but those final bunny hills had more airtime than we had expected. After riding the Wild Chickmunk at Lakeside, you never know what you will get from a Wild Mouse. LOL We rode it just before close and it would have been a disappointment had we not been able to ride the world's tallest Wild Mouse while in Rome.

In between coasters, we rode the ferris wheel which was only using 5 carriages at a time. We have no idea why there was a weight restriction, but it provided a nice view once we finally got on. And they kept us on for a long time.

We also hit the miniature golf course, which is in need of TLC, but provided the shape it was in also provided a good challenge. My younger friend rode some of the flat rides, but I opted not to because they oftentimes make me dizzy and I could just ride those at any local carnivals.

I searched my phone for a food place that would still be open and came upon Mr. Scribb's pizza. The pizza was among the best I ever had. I get the many others have stopped there after visiting MA.

Yes, we ended up staying the entire day there. I thought it was a beautiful and clean park. It doesn't have a huge amount or coaters, but it was nice to visit while we were passing through. Since this is an off year with no visits to any Six Flags Parks or the Ohio Parks, I was going to try to hit Adventureland in Iowa as well, which would also mark my first visit to that park. But any efforts to rally friends to visit that park have failed. With the leader moving out of state, the other members have sort of gone astray. It is too bad as it is only 3 hours away and yet I can't even get them to do that much.

But with the awesome trip around lake Michigan, I can't really call this an "off year". We went up through Wisconsin and saw Rib Mountain before lodging in Marinette. In the UP, We also went to Pictured Rocks national Lakeshore and boarded a hight-speed catamaran for a cruise of Lake Superior that lasted 2 hours 15 minutes. Lodged in Municing and saw Municing Falls, Miner's Falls, Sable Falls and the massive Tahquamenon falls on our way to Petrosky. Even Crossing the Mackinaw bridge seemed special. In the mitten, we visited Mackinaw Trail Winery, where we sampled and bought several wines before lodging there for the night. The next morning, we did the "Pirate's Cove" miniature golf before starting our drive down to Muskegon, lodging 2 days there. Day one was Michigan's Adventure/Mr. Scribb's Pizza. And on our last day, we Climbed the 139 steps of the 109' Little Sable Lighthouse. Visited the town of Holland. I even ran up "Tower Hill", a 260' sand dune at Warren Dunes state park, without having to stop to catch my breath! (my younger friend had to sit down halfway up). We were ready to wade in Lake Michigan once we were done. It was 5 days of fun, adventure and exercise. And one of the most beautiful states in the union!

I searched my phone for a food place that would still be open and came upon Mr. Scribb's pizza. The pizza was among the best I ever had. I get the many others have stopped there after visiting MA.

^ Not far out of Grand Rapids there's a SUPER good pizza place called Vitale's, amazing food and they have a bar, my brother moved to there a few years ago near Grand Rapids and his wife's parents own it. (:

There is a brewery 5 minutes north of the park in Whitehall. There are 2 brewerys south of the park about 10 minutes in Muskegon. If you go 40 minutes from the park into Grand Rapids that is voted beer city and there are a crazy amount of brewerys.

Has anyone tried the Shivering Timbers IPA?

P.S I know cedar fair is not relocating Firehawk to MIA but I found it funny that Michigans Adventure platinum pass is a picture of it

A few of my opinions if they got firehawk:

1. It would be extremely expensive to operate.

2. They would pave part of the north/south maintenance path and put the ride next to wildcat.

3. They would modify the station to be a single loading bay with two trains.

4. New paint job.

5. Announcement in Nov/Dec.

But again all the passes across the chain have fire hawk in them, including Cedar Point.

Do the new Platinum Passes actually have Firehawk on them or is it just an image they use for banner ads? My pass is old as dirt so I wouldn't know. That's actually kind of funny.

5. Announcement in Nov/Dec.

Just to be safe you should probably go to the website now and keep refreshing every few seconds so you don't miss the big announcement.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Cedar Fair flat out hate this park or what? I mean come on give this park some love already. 10 years since receiving their last major ride and it was a hand me down to boot. MIA has soo much land and so much potential. I’m not buying the competition against Cedar Point argument because Kings Island is way closer to Cedar Point and doesn’t take away anything.