TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Are relocated woodies even a thing? It sounds like a lot of work anyway.

I point you to Phoenix at Knoebels.

On another note...

I'm planning an upper mid-west coaster trip for myself this coming summer and I was wondering when Michigan's Adventure normally publishes their calendar for the next season. My home park (Dorney) already has theirs up and I was surprised MA doesn't.

MIA usually opens around may 22nd

I can tell you that Valleyfair and Worlds of Fun have many more attendees than Michigans Adventure. MA also only does about 1.7%, and the other small parks do at least double that. A used coaster would be the best fit.

No....they do not! Valleyfair and Worlds of Fun don't even fall into the 1.5 million attendance category. They fall into the 1 million and fewer category with Michigan's Adventure. Michigan's Adventure was pushing 800,000 when Thunderhawk opened and they have been increasing ever since. It is very plausible that they are extremely close to Valleyfair and Worlds of Fun, who I'm sure are over 1 million but not more than 1.5 million. The gap is smaller than "double that".

And they do 1.7% of what?

The screaming swing that was rumored to be headed to Michigan's Adventure would have been an Upcharge attraction for $1 or $2. It could be impactful, though, as it would give MA a new attraction. You would have to see how Upcharge attractions do at MA. Does ripcord do well? Mini Golf? Go Karts? The screaming swing is a good ride, and it is disappointing to see Michigans Adventure not getting it. With the low attendance MA receives, Cedar Fair probably thought it would be more profitable to sell it to a carnival or scrap metal.

RipCord and the Mini-Golf do really well at the park. The Go-Karts were removed for the 2013 season and weren't doing as well (plus the price of gas). I'm sure Screamin' Swing would've done fine but an upcharge doesn't warrant a big announcement. There's a small chance it is still being moved there, but very small. Bumper Boats were moved from Valleyfair without an announcement . Keep up the comments with the low attendance though, MiA has one of the highest profit margins in the chain, which is probably a reason they are hesitant to add anything super major. Attendance doesn't always equate to revenue. You remember the first FunForward presentation? Brian Witherow (CFO of CF) said that Michigan's Adventure makes money closer to on-par with their larger parks (it was in terms of margin).

In my opinion, wolverine wildcat would just be sold for scrap. It's not big enough for another park and its old.

grsupercity is spot-on with a lot I feel. The park has constantly been fighting with the townships in the past 7-10 years. Not only that, but Cedar Fair has been spending lots of money upgrading the infrastructure. It may not seem like it, but I would bet between the water deals, the land purchase, the new POP systems, attractions, new employee center and all the rest of the infrastructure upgrades, the park has easily seen over $10 million spent since 2010. And now with the sewer issue ongoing, it will cost more money. Once they are able to pull away from this, I don't think there will be as much hesitation to build following that. Kinzel always said his plan before the recession was to build one coaster every two years in the big parks and one ever four years in the smaller parks (according to his biography by Tim O'Brien). Of course, that wasn't the case with WoF, VF or MiA. Now, Ouimet is doing things a bit differently. The Muskegon market is not as big as the other markets that other parks are in, but there are still ways for the park to continue to expand, but CF just has to work through these issues first. Cedar Fair has more than made their money on this park, they bought it for $27 million in 2001 and it still continues to have one of the highest profit margins (and, in a way, jumping to a big addition that costs more money to run in this market may hurt that profit margin), hence the reason it was never put up for sale when Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun & California's Great America went up for sale during the economic downturn.

I would like to see a coaster or a high-end thrill ride, but it just is what it is at this point. Still love visiting the park and it is still a great day whenever I go.

MA does 1.7% of Cedar Fair's total equity. Wild water Kingdom does .9%, and Cedar Fair gets a fixed amount of money for Gilroy Gardens and just gets bonuses.

Is the smaller screaming swing built by S&S?

What do VF and WOF do percentage wise?

And yes Knotts screaming swing was the original S&S screaming swing.

^^I think you might want to research the word "equity" & phrase "total equity". As for the rest, I will refer you to the statements I made above. If MiA was in such bad shape, why not try to sell when the other ones were put up? Its because of the margin. It's a pretty profitable park. A lot more goes into determining the worth of a park and also what to put in to the park. Several factors.

As for the Screamin' Swing, yes it is S&S, but a much smaller model (hence the upcharge). While I think it would be great at MiA, it is what it is at this point. There were rumors not to long ago that Dorney's would move there but Dorney's still has theirs. Here's a link: https://www.dorneypark.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/Scream-Swing

Exciting news for Michigan Adventure fans!!!

It looks as if the park is making an addition after all this off season. Here is a rendering of the new attraction. ....

Wow! That new attraction looks epic! I can't wait till vertical construction starts!

• 2 weeks later...
Good news is the park updated their new for 2016 page. Bad news is too be honest, I wouldn't even call this stuff "new". Park must be desperate to add something so it isn't a random white space.

At least there is a "Whats new" page. Dorneys is just the 2016 season pass and the offers it has compared to the Platinum pass (which is only one thing) and their new passholder exclusive page.

Can't afford a new attraction?

Just give American kids what they really want...unlimited high fructose corn syrup and deep-fried foods!

Might as well throw in free wi-fi too so the kids can be on their smart phones because they are bored after the first five hours at the park.

^ That is priceless.

Here is cool photo the park showed on their social media today. It's sad how little vegetation the park had back then. That's one thing that has definitely changed. I have noticed the park has been using their account more often. Probably the closest we will get to their celebration of 60 years.

:lol: I feel bad laughing because I actually feel really bad for Michigans Adventure locals. I guess the good news is you're not too far from Cedar Point or Great America.

Living in Michigan does have its ups and downs, haha. I always end up going to Cedar Point instead of MiA. It's closer to me, anyway.

MiA is "okay", but they haven't put a new coaster there in years.

• 3 weeks later...

Michigans adventure just posted a few pictures of the damage that a wind storm coused back in 89. It looks like the park had a lot of damage and tree loss because of the storm including the antique car ride being destroyed.

Sorry about a few of the pictures being screen shots, bot for some reason I had problems downloading these pictures.

FB_IMG_1455205703092.thumb.jpg.925bbada31a5b9ff9829cf6533bfdda7.jpg

FB_IMG_1455205682327.thumb.jpg.e8ec47751b750597405f5ae20b34446f.jpg

Screenshot_2016-02-11-11-25-07.thumb.png.6c4bb17f65b52a95f065b6d89c0b50d9.png

Screenshot_2016-02-11-11-24-40.thumb.png.520c56316d4ee53258ff4595e7b2d88a.png

Screenshot_2016-02-11-11-24-53.thumb.png.1661fdbcd3d715ed8d220dac0c2c6205.png

Michigans adventure just posted a few pictures of the damage that a wind storm coused back in 89. It looks like the park had a lot of damage and tree loss because of the storm including the antique car ride being destroyed.

Sorry about a few of the pictures being screen shots, bot for some reason I had problems downloading these pictures.

I assume you meant 1998? Yeah the May 1998 derecho that blew through the midwest was very devastating to this region. I haven't ever seen the pics of the storm damage to the park, but now that I've seen the damage, it was pretty severe. Luckily, only 2 rides were damaged: Mutly's Putt Putts and Drummer Boy. Thankfully, Timbers was long finished with its construction when the storm hit and didn't delay the ride's opening.

may_1998_derecho_radar_loop.gif

Here's the radar loop of the storm. I just remember not having any power wherever we drove from and there were trees down everywhere.

Even nearing 20 years later, I'm glad most of the trees have grown back in and returned the shade to quite a bit of the midway. Also adding the giant umbrellas to several of the sitting area last year helped tremendously as well.