TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Apocalypse (Six Flags America) POV by TPR:
Apocalypse: The name you give to a relocated coaster which companies are too lazy to plant any form of greenery to spruce up it's dirt surroundings. Joking aside, it is nice to see this coaster actually now seems as if it was designed for the location it was rebuilt (even thought it wasn't), unlike when it was first built on top of Z-Force's old location at Six Flags Great America. And Robb, I have to ask: How EXACTLY much of an improvement are the new trains over the old Intamin ones?

It's funny; this doesn't seem so much as GP nonsense as it does a coaster enthusiast trying too hard to show that he/she is one and then failing miserably. On the flip side, I personally don't think anyone is immune to lapses of ignorance or misinformation every now and then, so I can't blame them too much...

Whenever I go to parks, I frequently overhear people who don't know for which ride they are standing in line. And I don't mean like, "What's this called again?" For example, at SFA when I was walking past the railroad station by the Gotham City entrance:

"This is where you get on the white rollercoaster!"

So we're in line for Flight Deck. Just entering the station, a Fast Lane attendant is ushering people to rows but asking if there's any preferred row we want to sit. She asks the ones ahead "Do you have a preference on where you want to sit?" Response was silence and puzzled...only holding us back from getting into a row, the attendant has to explain in a bit more detail about a preferred row since they didn't seem to understand the real basic question asked.

On the Rapids, we get seated with another group of 4 on a boat. During the ride I hear "Can you turn this thing?" After being drenched from the ride's signature finale we're going up the lift. Some kid after mentioning about using the $5 dryer that they should install blow dryers to dry you off as you come into the station. Other than that, I think I did good yesterday not spotting any GP-isms.

Apocalypse: The name you give to a relocated coaster which companies are too lazy to plant any form of greenery to spruce up it's dirt surroundings. Joking aside, it is nice to see this coaster actually now seems as if it was designed for the location it was rebuilt (even thought it wasn't), unlike when it was first built on top of Z-Force's old location at Six Flags Great America. And Robb, I have to ask: How EXACTLY much of an improvement are the new trains over the old Intamin ones?

It's funny; this doesn't seem so much as GP nonsense as it does a coaster enthusiast trying too hard to show that he/she is one and then failing miserably. On the flip side, I personally don't think anyone is immune to lapses of ignorance or misinformation every now and then, so I can't blame them too much...

I understand where you're coming from with that, but in truth, the Iron Wolf trains were Intamin/Giovanola during the first two years of operation (1990, 1991).

I had posted this earlier, but I guess it never showed up.

At SF Great America on Saturday, a girl behind me was convinced that American Eagle still rode backwards. Even when the ride was done, all completely forward, she kept saying to her friends, "Ok, now it's gonna go backwards now, I'm telling you!" ..How?

One of her friends was smart enough to tell her she was wrong, and even asked me if it went backwards. The girl still didn't believe me, though. Jeez, some people.

On a Dorney Park Online TR of Great Adventure, a user posted....

Nitro - 4 rides - front, back, middle, front again - What can I say. I loved this 15 or so years ago, and still think it is the best steel coaster I have ever ridden. Next to El Toro the best ride in the park.

and the same person called Kingda Ka "King Da Ka."

I understand where you're coming from with that, but in truth, the Iron Wolf trains were Intamin/Giovanola during the first two years of operation (1990, 1991).

I didn't know that... I rest my case about the ignorance comment, haha.

But yeah, that makes sense since Bolliger and Mabillard used to work for Giovanola.

^Those are the same trains Vortex (CGA) has (with old restraints):

Linky

I don't think Vortex ever had Intamin (or Giovanola) trains since it's the same trains used today with new V-shaped restraints. So that probably is Iron Wolf's B&M train.

From there, I hear the typical story of "It got stuck for several hours so they took it out (not realizing that it got relocated).

That's what I hear from my friends all the time but I tell them the story of how they re-opened the ride for about 6 more months a year after the accident and that it still had high ridership despite the accident that happened. It was moved to Dorney Park because Cedar Fair was going to sell CGA and Invertigo was the only asset that could generate a good amount of money in a different park. Everyone believes me after I say that since I always say it in a very logical way and plus my story is longer than the other guy (and best of all, it's true).

I want to build a roller coaster for an amusement park, does experience with roller coaster tycoon give me the qualifications to accomplish this goal?

That sounds like it was tailor made for this thread. Hell, I think Robb's done that exact joke in more than a few of his "rants".

A gem from Yahoo:
I want to build a roller coaster for an amusement park, does experience with roller coaster tycoon give me the qualifications to accomplish this goal?

The way most people build coasters in RCT, everybody would have qualifications to design for-

Vekoma

Arrow Dynamics (before they went out of business)

Custom - designing Zamperla Volares

TOGO

A gem from Yahoo:

The way most people build coasters in RCT, everybody would have qualifications to design for-

Vekoma

TOGO

They could only design Arrow if they've done RCT and Laundry.

A gem from Yahoo:

Vekoma

TOGO

They could only design Arrow if they've done RCT and Laundry.

They also need to know Japanese to design for TOGO, and how to make giant head-sized metal bars for Vekoma.

Overheard from the mouth of a young boy while exiting I305 at Kings Dominion: "I like this ride, but it makes your eyes go funny!"

I reckon he grayed out.

I really hate it when people call the ride trains, cars. For example, when someone says, "There are two cars running," I really want to flip out on them and say they are called trains and the ride has FIVE cars on each of the TWO trains.

Taken from the "Secret Dangers of Amusement Parks" article comments:

Cedar Point! voted best amusement park in the world 14 TIMES! no mascots or puppet shows...just pure rides and coasters. it is a beautiful setting also on its one great lakes peninsula.

I thought rides designed earlier in time would be overloaded by todays fat american pigs!! That should of made the list.

Or falling out of a Roller Coaster when its in a flip

When we were younger, my cousin (not a coaster fanatic at all), after riding Serial Thriller (an SLC) at Astroworld said to me,

"That was kind of like Batman the Ride if it was terrible." Weird of her to notice at all.

Pretty apt description, though.