TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

...Roar is relatively new, at least compared to the other Six Flags coasters that have gotten the RMC treatment. SFDK also just re-tracked significant portions of Roar very recently (which, might I add, has done wonders for the ride), so it makes no sense for the park to invest that significant sum of money for a ride that they just recently invested in...

COUGH Cyclone at Six Flags New England COUGH

COUGH Medusa at Six Flags Mexico (2000) COUGH

...Roar is relatively new, at least compared to the other Six Flags coasters that have gotten the RMC treatment. SFDK also just re-tracked significant portions of Roar very recently (which, might I add, has done wonders for the ride), so it makes no sense for the park to invest that significant sum of money for a ride that they just recently invested in...

That is a good point2. In fact, RMC retracted sections of both Rattler AND Cyclone before doing IBox seasons after.

Now, I cannot say that I'm completely confident in this rumor, but if it were happening, I would expect SFDK to announce the closure of the coaster in a month or so. Keep your ears open people, Six Flags may be on a roll for these California parks!!

Personally, I would be BEYOND stoked for another RMC in California after riding Twisted Colossus a few weeks ago. IMO, it would be a perfect addition to the park's coaster lineup!... Well an RMC would be perfect anywhere...

That is a good point2. In fact, RMC retracted sections of both Rattler AND Cyclone before doing IBox seasons after.

Now, I cannot say that I'm completely confident in this rumor, but if it were happening, I would expect SFDK to announce the closure of the coaster in a month or so. Keep your ears open people, Six Flags may be on a roll for these California parks!!

Personally, I would be BEYOND stoked for another RMC in California after riding Twisted Colossus a few weeks ago. IMO, it would be a perfect addition to the park's coaster lineup!... Well an RMC would be perfect anywhere...

I'd rather RMC Iron Horse Grizzly instead but that's me. Also I'd bet money on a SFFT Batman but that's me.

Like I said, nothing would make me happier than to have an RMC creation a short drive from away. While I see your point that Medusa was built in 2000, Cyclone was built in 1983 and desperately in need of some TLC (unless it received retracking in the recent past that I am unaware of). Roar just got retracked very recently, so it doesn't make sense for them to tear all that recent investment up. If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat crow...I'd certainly build up an appetite for it marathoning the remade Roar. But, I'm not holding my breath for it.

Rumor has it there is only one more Six Flags RMC i-box treatment until at least 2018, so it's probably going to come down to either The Boss, Georgia Cyclone, Roar east, or Roar west.

I heard this too, out of the three projects for next year, only one is Six Flags, so the other two are for non-chain parks. I think that only one of those two will be a ground-up coaster (Outlaw Run, Goliath, Wildfire), so a non-Six Flags park will get their first I-Box next year.

I know nothing for sure, but I am hoping for...

- A "World's First Launching Wooden Coaster" for Dollywood along the hillside with some terrain-based elements, "Shot Rod"

- The second installment of the RMC dueling/racing coaster with Twisted Twins/Double Trouble (Ed Hart's name) I-Box retracking while being the first completely steel RMC (cause of the steel structure)

- And finally the first I-Box retrack of a GCI coaster, with Roar at SFDK. I imagine that RMC can do a lot with the very twisty layout of a GCI!

I also predict that Six Flags will build maybe two more of the S&S Free Spin coasters (Batman at SFFT) at a few parks in the chain. Maybe SFGAm? SFOG? SFA? SFStl?

I don't think that SFStl will get Boss retracted next year (although I think the layout has enormous potential) due to the GM stating that Justice League was their "Hyper Coaster" equivalent, and the largest investment for a while. I also highly doubt SFA and SFOG for 2016 too...

Greetings all, I'll be making my first ever visit to this park on Sunday 6/7. What's the best strategy? Or will I need Flash Pass? I'm assuming I should ride Superman first, due to capacity. Are there any hidden gems in the park?

EDIT: Also, what's traffic like in the Bay Area on Sunday mornings? I'll be heading to the park from Fisherman's Wharf.

Thanks in advance!

Flash Pass is almost never needed here. This is my home park, I've been there dozens of times, and never once even thought about buying one. Primarily because there's so few total coasters that even on busy days you can still ride them all. Also Superman is not included, for capacity reasons it's an upcharge. Unless it's Key Club Day (it isnt tomorrow) or you want to ride everything 10 times, you wont need Flash Passes.

Traffic Sunday mornings has always been a breeze for me, best day of the week to go. Superman is best to do first if you're there at rope drop cause you can usually get 2-4 consecutive rides with almost no wait. Superman is a gem but not really hidden, though row 6 is a bit of a hidden gem. Roar, surprisingly, is really the hidden gem of the park now. Ever since the aforementioned retracking it runs great and has some surprising little pops of airtime.

Most people hate Kong, I'm one of the few that love it. Crappy train design, but a fun layout. If you turn your head towards the direction of each turn you wont get the head banging that makes it painful. If you should choose to ride, that will help.

Boomerang is just like every other Boomerang, and Medusa is just like Scream!. Theyre not great, theyre not the worst.

Rumor has it there is only one more Six Flags RMC i-box treatment until at least 2018, so it's probably going to come down to either The Boss, Georgia Cyclone, Roar east, or Roar west.

Could also be Le Monstre in Montreal.

But my totally uninformed guess is Iron Boss, it seems to "fit" the RMC style the most.

I don't see SFDK getting another coaster for some time.

I know I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I thought I would ask everyone's input. How likely do you guys think a RMC I-Box of Roar is for 2016? I ask because I have recently heard a rumor that Roar will be closed mid-season this year. One can hope, right?

Personally, it sounds unlikely to me after SFMM receiving Twisted Colossus for 2015, but the two parks aren't really that close, I'm sure 95% of visitors to each park aren't even aware of the other park. I know it's currently every park's fan-boy dream for their wooden coaster to get I-Box, but I can't help it! It would easily be the best coaster in NorCal if true!

Let the idea sit for now, and maybe in a few months, we will see more information come out.

Roar is still a fine coaster IMHO. is it amazing? no. Is it terrible and needs to be torn down ASAP? *hell no*. SFMM got the RMC and it was needed and warranted. Roar always draws enough people every day to not deem a retrofit necessary. SF:DK has space if they decide to take out Kong and they can expand that foot print by maybe moving dare devil dive which apparently isn't getting much foot traffic for it being 2015's attraction. Maybe I don't give general public not enough credit?

plus honestly I like roar, it's one of my reasons for always going. i'd love for it to be RMC'ed but perferbly not when i'm holding a valid season pass.

Could also be Le Monstre in Montreal.

But my totally uninformed guess is Iron Boss, it seems to "fit" the RMC style the most.

I don't see SFDK getting another coaster for some time.

Likely will get a family coaster when that happens anyways.

Grain of salt of course, but Screamscape is reporting that it may in fact be SFDK that receives the next Ibox transformation to Roar.

The idea of a Medusa-like RMC in the same state as Twisted Colossus would be jaw dropping imo.

Grain of salt of course, but Screamscape is reporting that it may in fact be SFDK that receives the next Ibox transformation to Roar.

The idea of a Medusa-like RMC in the same state as Twisted Colossus would be jaw dropping imo.

That'd be amazing!!

I actually like Roar and don't think it's too rough. It's definitely not smooth, but not nearly as bad as other woodies out there. That being said, I'd be excited for it to get a treatment. A faster and more intense ride would definitely be an good thing for me.

The woodies currently in the running for the treatment are...

Le Monstre

Roar

Great American Scream Machine

Georgia Cyclone

Boss

Screamin' Eagle

Let me know if there are any I forgot, or if any of these don't sound like they should be in this list.

Add Roar east to that list, and remove the Scream Machine.

Also, it's really tough to say for sure what coasters are under consideration. Some might add American Eagle to that list.

Screamin' Eagle... why? It's not going to happen. The ride is in top-notch shape, and has good airtime. I doubt Dave Roemer would consent to this, anyhow. Colossus, yes... it was in bad shape... John Allen's last creation, still fine? No.

And the Boss wont happen, for the last time. I am not sure if you're following the SFStL Thread, but it has been told numerous times that it would be expensive and too much of the ride's length would be neutered. Last season, I personally held a lengthy conversation with the director of attractions throughout the day on this topic. I too, was given this reasoning multiple times. In all cases, they want to keep that double helix.

Georgia Cyclone is running like a charm with it's new topper track from '12. My backseat ride on it this year was mostly butter. The airtime wasn't too terrible as well.

Also, Roar East is in worst shape. Mostly because it still has PTC's beating the hell out of it.

I believe La Ronde will be getting the one treatment. Quote from the La Ronde Thread:

I was walking in La Ronde and by the entrance of LaRonde there is a poster that shows RMC track doing a twist and then says "Affrontez vos peurs, car cette bête sera beaucoup plus effrayant." Which translates into: "Face your fears, because this beast will be much more frightening."

I'm guessing this is a hint that Le Monstre is getting the RMC treatment for the 2016 season.

NOTE: WILL GET PICTURES WHEN I GO BACK TO LA RONDE. THE POSTER SHOULD BE NEAR THE BATHROOMS AT THE ENTRANCE ON THE RIGHT ON THE BIG WALL WHEN YOU WALK TO TICKET BOOTHS.

Screamin' Eagle... why? It's not going to happen. The ride is in top-notch shape, and has good airtime. I doubt Dave Roemer would consent to this, anyhow. Colossus, yes... it was in bad shape... John Allen's last creation, still fine? No.

And the Boss wont happen, for the last time. I am not sure if you're following the SFStL Thread, but it has been told numerous times that it would be expensive and too much of the ride's length would be neutered. Last season, I personally held a lengthy conversation with the director of attractions throughout the day on this topic. I too, was given this reasoning multiple times. In all cases, they want to keep that double helix.

Georgia Cyclone is running like a charm with it's new topper track from '12. My backseat ride on it this year was mostly butter. The airtime wasn't too terrible as well.

Also, Roar East is in worst shape. Mostly because it still has PTC's beating the hell out of it.

I believe La Ronde will be getting the one treatment. Quote from the La Ronde Thread:

I was walking in La Ronde and by the entrance of LaRonde there is a poster that shows RMC track doing a twist and then says "Affrontez vos peurs, car cette bête sera beaucoup plus effrayant." Which translates into: "Face your fears, because this beast will be much more frightening."

I'm guessing this is a hint that Le Monstre is getting the RMC treatment for the 2016 season.

NOTE: WILL GET PICTURES WHEN I GO BACK TO LA RONDE. THE POSTER SHOULD BE NEAR THE BATHROOMS AT THE ENTRANCE ON THE RIGHT ON THE BIG WALL WHEN YOU WALK TO TICKET BOOTHS.

Although I think that both Monstre and Boss would have insane potential as I-Box RMCs, those won't be converted in 2016.

I'm not surprised that Screamscape has reported the RMC Roar rumor. I can't wait for an announcement at the end of August! I would like to note that I don't even think Roar is rough either, and I agree that Roar seems like the unlikely choice. Yet, I heard from someone working at SFDK that they've been told that Roar is closing this summer. It's all lining up to me.

Edited by chickenbowl

^Awesome!

If this is true, it will be interesting to see how CGA responds to all the capital going into SFDK.

By "respond", I presume you mean that they'll remove more capital, in true CGA style. If anything, expect investment in the water park. I see no other developments coming CGA simply in response to the market.

The woodies currently in the running for the treatment are...

Le Monstre

Roar

Great American Scream Machine

Georgia Cyclone

Boss

Screamin' Eagle

Let me know if there are any I forgot, or if any of these don't sound like they should be in this list.

Prayerfully it's the Georgia Cyclone. I understand woodies being rough by nature and all but aside from the first two retracked drops there was nothing enjoyable about that ride when I was at the park last week. Hell, if it's going to ride like crap at least paint it and make it look decent.

When I was first reading you guys discussing this, I was like "no way, SFDK is too much a family park." But the fact that Screamscape is reporting rumors of this and employees are saying it's going to close later this year, I'm getting more excited about this being a possibility! Which would be completely amazing as SFDK is my home park and Roar is already a good coaster. I'd be there every weekend for this! I just hope I can ride Roar again before it closes because I really do like it as is but RMC would be even better! However, if they did RMC Roar, they'd be seriously due for another family coaster.

If Roar is RMC'ed I can only assume it'll have a inversion somewhere. I don't think roar is considered a family coaster at all but it's certainly tamer then kong and medusa and I think this would be bad for people who are scared of coasters. It was grizzly greeased lighting, the demon and top gun at CGA that finally got me hooked onto coasters and in that order. this is why I still like roar, it's not extreme but it's not tame either. It's a solid middle ground between a family coaster and something like a B&M hyper.

anyways if the rumors are only getting more serious. I'll be sure to get dozens of rides in when I can.