TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I have never been this excited for a new ride before.

I hope you're joking.

It's better then nothing true, but I think tsunami soaker is going to be the better ride just due to how hot it can get there. Also they couldn't put much else there either.

It's honestly borderline not better than nothing. I think it's really going to cheapen the look of the area it's going into. I'd say a good lighting package will make up for that but how often is the park open until dark anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to see them updating it. It's one of my favorite shows!

yeah I always liked the sea lion show. With the name Wacky in the new title/show it better still be wacky just like the pirate one was. also the act's during fright fest were pretty funny. Austin Powers and all.

Hi Guys! I've lived in San Francisco for six years and have never made it up to SFDK, but we've got the opportunity to go this Sunday (Easter). We're going to go up early and spend the full day, then chill in Vallejo for the evening. I'm wondering how crowded it will likely be, feels like it could go either way. That day is priced lower on their website, at $45, whereas the rest of the month is at $49 or higher. Here's what I'm wondering:

Should we go ahead and book Flash Passes? If so, which level? (Reg, Gold, Platinum)

Or, are we better off to wait until we get there and see what crowds are like?

How much are we missing by visiting when V2 is closed?

Thanks for any help/advice! We're excited!!!

Here's a second vote for holding off on purchasing a Flash Pass until you arrive and check out the crowds. Bear in mind that it is EASTER Sunday, which could mean that not many people are at the park, instead doing Easter things with their families. Furthermore, even if it is crowded, I highly doubt that it will be Flash-Passes-sold-out crowded. As for V2, it certainly is fun, but certainly not the best coaster in the park. Missing V2 is nothing to pout over. Have fun!

-Doug

P.S. - Run straight for Superman at rope drop. They assign seats, so getting there first guarantees you a front row seat...which you definitely want.

P.S. - Run straight for Superman at rope drop. They assign seats, so getting there first guarantees you a front row seat...which you definitely want.

I recommend this as well. Lots of people go for medusa for whatever reason when I am there for rope drops. Anyways I plan on going Wednesday the 8th.

I recommend this as well. Lots of people go for medusa for whatever reason when I am there for rope drops. Anyways I plan on going Wednesday the 8th.

was there this past sunday, definitely agree superman for rope drop due to low capacity. everything else had 15min or less waits (might be longer on easter but i doubt it.) i would plan your day around some of the animal shows, as this makes this sf park really unique. finally, i wouldnt hang out in vallejo, its not very nice, there was a murder down the street while i was there, i would recommend walnut creek (the marriott is inexpensive and nice, free parking in the employee lot) or go hang out in sf. ps- vertical velocity was closed with trains removed from the track, not sure if it will be running by this sunday.

Hi Guys! I've lived in San Francisco for six years and have never made it up to SFDK, but we've got the opportunity to go this Sunday (Easter). We're going to go up early and spend the full day, then chill in Vallejo for the evening. I'm wondering how crowded it will likely be, feels like it could go either way. That day is priced lower on their website, at $45, whereas the rest of the month is at $49 or higher. Here's what I'm wondering:

Should we go ahead and book Flash Passes? If so, which level? (Reg, Gold, Platinum)

Or, are we better off to wait until we get there and see what crowds are like?

How much are we missing by visiting when V2 is closed?

Thanks for any help/advice! We're excited!!!

I've only visited the park in the summer, but I've never seen it crowded enough to make a Flash Pass mandatory. Like others have said, I wouldn't purchase it early as you'll be wasting your money if it isn't too busy. When the park opens, go straight to Superman Ultimate Flight, then work your way around the park from there (I usually proceed counter-clockwise). If you run into a line of 30 minutes or more before lunch, consider purchasing a Flash Pass, but otherwise you probably don't need one. If you do buy one, Gold will give you the best value. In regards to V2, it's a pretty good ride but not the best coaster in the park. I wouldn't cancel your trip if you can't ride it, but it's definitely a reason to make a return visit in the future. Lastly, I'd advise against hanging out in Vallejo, as it's not a very nice area.

Does anyone know how that new Dare Devil Chaos looping thing is coming along? I know that not a lot of people on here are paying much attention to it since it isn't a 500ft tall RMC 4th dimension aquatrax with fire and fog, but it seems like a fun little ride and I'm curious on when they might have it open by.

Does anyone know how that new Dare Devil Chaos looping thing is coming along? I know that not a lot of people on here are paying much attention to it since it isn't a 500ft tall RMC 4th dimension aquatrax with fire and fog, but it seems like a fun little ride and I'm curious on when they might have it open by.

I checked the park's Facebook and Twitter pages and couldn't find any recent construction photos of it, but from what I've seen with the other Super Loops, it shouldn't take very long to set up and get running.

You can already ride it. Just pretend there's a steel circle on the outside of hammerhead by the bumper cars.

You can already ride it. Just pretend there's a steel circle on the outside of hammerhead by the bumper cars.

I'd rather not have to deal with useless seat belts and having all of my internal organs crushed into my spine, than you.

Visiting SFDK either tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Not sure how the weather is gonna be but the preferred day would be Tuesday however we don't want to miss any attractions. We are open to go any day. Any day that would be better than the others?

Also, I'm an SFMM regular and am visiting for the first time. Any advice for doing the park? Anything closed? Anything I should expect with the park?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Visiting SFDK either tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Not sure how the weather is gonna be but the preferred day would be Tuesday however we don't want to miss any attractions. We are open to go any day. Any day that would be better than the others?

Also, I'm an SFMM regular and am visiting for the first time. Any advice for doing the park? Anything closed? Anything I should expect with the park?

Any weekday at the park this early in the year is usually going to be pretty quiet. My advice is to show up at the park early and head over to the Superman area as soon as the rope drops. Once there, you can easily get on Superman, Roar, and V2 (If it's open) in just a few minutes, and with lines short enough for plenty of re-rides. Once your done with that area, head over to Medusa and it should only about a 10-15 minute wait tops, since the park is usually pretty dead the first hour of opening. Then you can make your way back towards the back of the park and make a full circle. That is what I do when I go there, and it works out really well.

One thing you should keep in mind is that a large crowd doesn't always mean long lines. SFDK attracts a lot families, so there has been days were the park was completely packed with people but rides like Medusa were a walk on.

If your into animals and or shows, you show also keep in mind that the park has a ton of animal shows including a tiger show, bird show, and 2 dolphin shows. So don't forget to pickup a schedule at the front of the park if your interested!

Hope this helps!

V2 is closed, not sure why. I wouldnt think theyd schedule rehab on that for April, but who knows. Crowd-wise I dont think it really matters what day you go. Tuesday is forecasted for potential thunderstorms though, so high chance of things closing, or possible even the park closing entirely - I'd avoid that day.

Definitely hit up Superman right when the park opens, that's by far the best coaster in the park. Roar is much improved too, it has a reputation for being really rough, but some retracking done last year made a huge improvement. Check out the animal shows if you have the time, it's what makes SFDK unique.

I checked the park's Facebook and Twitter pages and couldn't find any recent construction photos of it, but from what I've seen with the other Super Loops, it shouldn't take very long to set up and get running.

1492577_10153163130202743_4037612139574126568_o.thumb.jpg.53aee9e7e4b490de4c0bf8cf3ff50401.jpgThis one was posted on the SFDK Facebook page on March 12th, it's the only one I've seen.

A friend went recently and said it didn't look like they had done anything new.

I would have been there too if I hadn't gotten in a car accident on the way I'm gonna go as soon as my car is fixed or I can secure a rental car and I'll confirm if anything new is done.

I recommend going to Drench! as well! And FYI, it doesn't really drench you even in the close rows.