TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Obviously Six Flags has no interest in investing rollercoaster money into The Great Escape, they've made that abundantly clear, but I do think they might face a sort of reckoning with needing to do something in the next decade. We are consistently losing old Arrows for a reason. Do we think Steamin' Deamon is still going to be there at the park entrance in 2031? I'd be downright shocked if it was. I am also skeptical that Alpine Bobsled can survive a decade too and the above discussion only reinforces that. I would full expect them to just close up the bobsleds like they've never existed and do nothing to fill that void, but that spot visible from the road is going to need to be filled with something eye catching. It doesn't have to be a rollercoaster, and if it is one it will probably be a mediocre to bad relocation from a bigger Six Flags, but that is the one point in time where I do think it is potentially possible for the park to get a coaster. I'm not even saying likely, just actually possible. 

^I wouldn't count out Steamin' Demon being the park entrance coaster in 2031. They actually did a ton of steel track work in the off season of 2008 into 2009 on it that included a lot of cutting, welding, and steel replacing and things I don't entirely understand but definitely only get done every 20 or so years. They also did a major refurbishment of one of Great American Scream Machine's trains from Great Adventure and that's the train that runs on the coaster still today. Steamin Demon has been on this earth since 1978 when it debuted in Louisiana.

I feel like a water coaster will proubly be the closest thing to a coaster where going to get. As it seems like the reason people come her is the water park (and comet) and it’s makes the park the most profit 

14 hours ago, xVicesAndVirtues said:

^I wouldn't count out Steamin' Demon being the park entrance coaster in 2031. They actually did a ton of steel track work in the off season of 2008 into 2009 on it that included a lot of cutting, welding, and steel replacing and things I don't entirely understand but definitely only get done every 20 or so years. They also did a major refurbishment of one of Great American Scream Machine's trains from Great Adventure and that's the train that runs on the coaster still today. Steamin Demon has been on this earth since 1978 when it debuted in Louisiana.

I feel like what could really help demon would be a another retracking and new vekoma trains similar to what happened with blue hawk at over Georgia. As that rides reputation is way more positive then before the rebfirbishment 

• 10 months later...

Spending a couple days in Lake George and threw in a few hours at Great Escape while in town. I had never been before despite driving by a ton of times. Unfortunately the forecast looked ugly today, but upon heading out from the hotel at 10:45 the sun was peeking out and the storms were still out near Syracuse so I figured that would be more than enough time to lap the park.

Upon arrival I headed back to Comet and after the long walk back, someone walked down from the station and said it was down for maintenance. So I decided to go back up past the unsurprisingly closed Bobsleds and ride the pieces of sh*t up front. 

Hit Flashback first which had no line but also a laughably slow crew. After it stops in the station, they wait for the catch car to attach to the train, THEN they let everyone into the station to line up for rows, THEN they open the gates. I sat somewhere in the middle and it ended up being one of the smoother Boomerangs I've ever ridden. I usually don't mind these as long as they're not super rough, so this was a pleasant surprise. Then when it stops there is no automatic unlocking mechanism (WTF?!?) so they had to go around and unlock each car one by one.

0712221139_HDR.thumb.jpg.4257e40cdf90575d47d6f138306f84b9.jpg

Apparently Great Escape doesn't own a hose.

0712221233.thumb.jpg.1ce47fee41550c2f8aa3c5ffaaae6041.jpg

Skull Mountain?

Headed up to the Western ghost town next (although the whole park was a ghost town so who could even tell?) and rode Canyon Blaster first. This this is probably the biggest piece of sh*t mine trains I've ever ridden as there is absolutely nothing redeeming about the layout and it's rough as hell. Burn this thing to the ground.

0712221226.thumb.jpg.aab063c891493480acbbaf2c37f288b0.jpg

Went around to a walk on Condor which was awesome to see operating. I had only ridden the Hershey edition many moons ago and it was a fun ride as usual. Next door, ADK Outlaw had maybe 12 people in line but it took a while as they were loading 2 people into each car for some reason. But once on it, just a super awesome ride with great upside down views of the mountains. While at the top I noted that Comet was finally running, and even more of a miracle, BOBSLED WAS OPEN!

Before making my way to the alpiney goodness, I had to get my Steamin Demon credit (more like steamin pile of sh*t, god does this thing suck) before heading back. One and done on that thing. This hill has 2 coasters, 2 flat rides, and a closed log flume and thank god for the flat rides or it would be even more of a ghost town.

0712221231.thumb.jpg.68533703035a9e34bc8d886aed8cf41e.jpg

At least it looks nice?

Upon arrival at the Bobsled, there was an open pathway where the closed sign was supposed to be, but also unsurprisingly a car stuck on the brakes above the entrance with maintenance up on the platform. I stood there and they got it moving, then the maintenance lady who saw me standing there yelled to me "come on in, its open!". After a 2 car wait I got into the rather tight and uncomfortable seats and waited for the inevitable breakdown, but surprisingly we got the all clear and we were off. This thing is way more wild than I expected. It really moves around side to side and gets some good speed. It hits some of the brake runs kind of hard which causes you to slam your knees but otherwise what a fun ride. Wasn't expecting to ride it at all, so I was very glad to fit this into my day.

0712221246.thumb.jpg.00a6d3aca0f483c7b9758a04dd48ad95.jpg

Do you believe in miracles?

Headed back to Comet next and thanks to absolutely NOBODY being back there I rode three consecutive times in front and once in back without leaving. This thing is fantastically smooth, has some light airtime, and has the worlds fastest chain lift on a woodie (unconfirmed, but it feels like it) and, while it won't break into anyone's top 10, it's definitely a gem and worth stopping in for alone.

After my mini marathon, Supernova was waiting for a rider so I hopped on. After Giant Frisbees have popped up everywhere, riding a mini Frisbee is a nice chance of pace. Fun ride.

Started my way back up and passed a few more flats with ops just standing there hoping one of the 14 people in the place would come ride their ride. I headed over to Blizzard which looked absolutely deserted but had no closed sign either. Without any idea if it was actually open, I got in the non existant line and thankfully heard music blaring from inside. The door popped open and I was treated to a much better indoor scrambler experience than at Funtown last week. While this doesn't have the lights and projections, it makes up for it by being the most insane scrambler I've ever ridden and the cycle was easily 4 minutes. 

0712221325_HDR.thumb.jpg.c879d97d4e11b3a75eda83322d04a5a9.jpg

Not sure if abandoned or its just a Tuesday at Great Escape.

Once I was out of there it was starting to sprinkle and thunder was audible off in the mountains. Everything was still operating and I wanted to hit Sasquatch on the way out but I didn't want to get caught in a downpour so I headed out. Keep in mind I did all this in about 2.5 hours. Great day for getting some rides in but it's sad how empty the place was. I could see the wave pool from Comet and it had 5 people in it. Never seen anything like that at another park.

Fun day and despite the mostly terrible coaster lineup, I would definitely pop in here again.

• Like 1

(Ignore the previous text that was in this post. That's what I get for not checking to make sure I'm on the most recent page of the thread.)

Nice report, Zand. Definitely getting serious ghost town vibes off those photos. It reminds me a lot of the last time I visited Bowcraft Amusement Park during one of their last seasons. It was just... desolate, run-down, devoid of people, and a total mess. I thought this was supposed to be the busy season up at Lake George. Where'd everybody go?

Edited by coneyislandchris
accidentally responded to a post on the previous page from, uh, last year

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The park posted on Twitter (at 5:15am apparently) that Alpine Bobsleds will close for good on September 4th. 

Glad I was able to be there on one of the miracle days that it was actually running.

So what’s our money on - the ride sits and rusts (further), or they tear it down and it turns into a fenced off lawn for the next decade?

Kidding aside, it was a fun ride when it was open. The braking was painful at times but it was unique. 

The number of retired, unfilled ride plots continues to grow…. Bobsled, Giant Wheel, Flying Trapeze…

• 2 weeks later...

Shame Bobsled is closing since it was one of the better rides in the park and I've always enjoyed it, but it was beyond time. Hopefully they'll replace it with something good, but considering how little Six Flags cares about the place and NIMBYism, I doubt it.

• 3 weeks later...

Great Escape has announced Bobcat, a brand-new wooden coaster for 2024!

The_Bobcat_Artist_Rendering_1.thumb.jpg.92fd9f5f92f919b24e84dac232edbd46.jpg

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230830146448/en/The-All-New-Bobcat-Coaster-Pounces-into-Six-Flags-Great-Escape-in-2024

Six Flags Great Escape, the thrill capital of upstate New York, proudly announces a brand-new roller coaster for 2024, The Bobcat. This exciting addition marks the first new wooden coaster introduced to New York state since 1999 and is the first new coaster to be constructed at Six Flags Great Escape since 2003. Replacing the Alpine Bobsled which retires September 4, 2023, the family coaster features an adventurous mix of speed, airtime, twists and turns.

“We knew we had to find a perfect fit to replace the Alpine Bobsled in the hearts of our guests,” said Resort President Rebecca Wood. “This beautiful, all-natural wooden family coaster will deliver a smooth, fast and heart-pounding experience. It is sure to be an instant classic.”

Fast facts about The Bobcat:

• Speeds up to nearly 40 mph;
  • Height: 55.4 feet;
  • Length: 1412 feet;
  • 2 trains, 12 passengers per train;
  • Height requirement: 42” with person of responsibility, 48” to ride alone;
  • Beautiful, natural design to compliment park surroundings;
  • Revolutionary coaster trains provide smooth rider experience.

Pending Town of Queensbury approval, The Bobcat will begin its prowl in the spring of 2024, just in time for the park’s 70th anniversary celebration. A perfect complement to the fabled Comet, The Bobcat will provide the unique feel of a quintessential wooden coaster, introducing thrill-seekers to quick turns, spunky drops and heart-pumping excitement aboard a custom, state-of-the-art, themed train.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Great Escape has announced Bobcat, a brand-new wooden coaster for 2024!

The_Bobcat_Artist_Rendering_1.thumb.jpg.92fd9f5f92f919b24e84dac232edbd46.jpg

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230830146448/en/The-All-New-Bobcat-Coaster-Pounces-into-Six-Flags-Great-Escape-in-2024

Six Flags Great Escape, the thrill capital of upstate New York, proudly announces a brand-new roller coaster for 2024, The Bobcat. This exciting addition marks the first new wooden coaster introduced to New York state since 1999 and is the first new coaster to be constructed at Six Flags Great Escape since 2003. Replacing the Alpine Bobsled which retires September 4, 2023, the family coaster features an adventurous mix of speed, airtime, twists and turns.

“We knew we had to find a perfect fit to replace the Alpine Bobsled in the hearts of our guests,” said Resort President Rebecca Wood. “This beautiful, all-natural wooden family coaster will deliver a smooth, fast and heart-pounding experience. It is sure to be an instant classic.”

Fast facts about The Bobcat:

• Speeds up to nearly 40 mph;
  • Height: 55.4 feet;
  • Length: 1412 feet;
  • 2 trains, 12 passengers per train;
  • Height requirement: 42” with person of responsibility, 48” to ride alone;
  • Beautiful, natural design to compliment park surroundings;
  • Revolutionary coaster trains provide smooth rider experience.

Pending Town of Queensbury approval, The Bobcat will begin its prowl in the spring of 2024, just in time for the park’s 70th anniversary celebration. A perfect complement to the fabled Comet, The Bobcat will provide the unique feel of a quintessential wooden coaster, introducing thrill-seekers to quick turns, spunky drops and heart-pumping excitement aboard a custom, state-of-the-art, themed train.

I did not expect them to actually replace the Bobsled maybe ever and they are doing it immediately with a perfect fit for the park! This is 100% a family park and adding good family coasters is the absolute ideal. Amazing news. Anyone know if this is a clone of an existing GG Family Woodie or is it a unique layout?

Not gonna lie, when I first read that the Bobsled coaster was being closed, something like this was my very first thought as to what would be the best thing to replace it.

Glad to see the park getting a significant new ride investment like this, Bobcat seems like a perfect addition considering the space and the park itself since its moreso geared towards families and smaller children. I hope they try to leverage the "Alpine" theme of the area around it more too, seems like it could be a good thematic fit! 

Honestly, after Bobcat,  if Great Escape added a dark ride or Wild Moose-type indoor coaster to the old Nightmare at Crackaxle Canyon building, and replaced Steamin' Demon with literally any decent modern thrill coaster, I think it could seriously shift the perception of the place. 

On 8/30/2023 at 4:27 PM, Twisterfan1995 said:

Not gonna lie, when I first read that the Bobsled coaster was being closed, something like this was my very first thought as to what would be the best thing to replace it.

Glad to see the park getting a significant new ride investment like this, Bobcat seems like a perfect addition considering the space and the park itself since its moreso geared towards families and smaller children. I hope they try to leverage the "Alpine" theme of the area around it more too, seems like it could be a good thematic fit! 

Honestly, after Bobcat,  if Great Escape added a dark ride or Wild Moose-type indoor coaster to the old Nightmare at Crackaxle Canyon building, and replaced Steamin' Demon with literally any decent modern thrill coaster, I think it could seriously shift the perception of the place. 

Yes, my dream would be to get hand me down family coasters from the chain when they close and replace Steamin Demon with some sort of small but real thrill coaster. An original raptor clone would be a dream, but it could be something as simple as a Euro-fighter. I would be less thrilled with say a 4D Free Spin or a Sky Rocket II, but beggars and choosers. Any of that would be a huge upgrade. As for the hand me downs, a wild mouse and a family spinner would be great when other parks need the room.  Re-using the old building, as you suggested, would be the cherry on top. 

I'd say none of that will actually happen unfortunately, but I would have said the same about The Bobcat. Pretty hilarious that The Great Escape will have Six Flags first Gravity Group. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 4:17 PM, abovethesink said:

Yes, my dream would be to get hand me down family coasters from the chain when they close and replace Steamin Demon with some sort of small but real thrill coaster. An original raptor clone would be a dream, but it could be something as simple as a Euro-fighter. I would be less thrilled with say a 4D Free Spin or a Sky Rocket II, but beggars and choosers. Any of that would be a huge upgrade. As for the hand me downs, a wild mouse and a family spinner would be great when other parks need the room.  Re-using the old building, as you suggested, would be the cherry on top. 

I'd say none of that will actually happen unfortunately, but I would have said the same about The Bobcat. Pretty hilarious that The Great Escape will have Six Flags first Gravity Group. 

I'm not gonna hold my breath for anything dramatic either. Think it will really come down to if Six Flags ever decides that its worthwhile to substantially commit/invest in the park (and given a lot of nearby development/noise restrictions the town has placed on it, along with that supposed agreement where Six Flags would be on the hook for new road infrastructure if attendance/traffic ever gets to a certain point - I don't know if that would be soon). 

Good news is that the park seems to do alright financially on its own from what I can tell (having an onsite indoor waterpark resort helps) and Lake George is always a popular tri-state vacation destination, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it ever gets to a point of penciling out, especially if Bobcat does well, and essentially follow the same blueprint again and gradually replace the older coasters with modern upgrades. Great Escape is an underrated park IMO - it actually feels more like an independent family-focused park than a six flags park with solid atmosphere and theming. Now it just needs a couple actually decent coasters/thrill rides in order to fulfill its potential. 

Edit: my master plan for the park if I were GM: 

1) Replace Canyon Blaster with one of: 

• Modern Vekoma/S&S Mine Train
  • Zierer Force Coaster 
  • Gerstlauer/Mauer Sohne Spinning Coaster 
  • Zamperla Family Thrill Launch Coaster 
  • RMC Family Coaster
  • Vekoma New Family Boomerang

2) Fill in the "Nightmare at Crackaxle Canyon" building with either: 

• RMC Wild Moose (with some dark ride elements if possible depending on how RMC's remodel of Fire In The Hole at SDC goes)
  • Sally Corp Dark Ride - maybe themed to a Western Style shooting Gallery? 

3) Put Steamin Demon out to pasture, replace with one of: 

• Gerstlaurer Eurofighter or Infinity Coaster/Zierer Tower Coaster 
  • RMC Raptor
  • Vekoma STC or Western-themed MotoCoaster 
  • slightly extended/scaled up B&M Family-Wing coaster (i.e. Maximus at Legoland DE, or Mandril Mayhem at Chessington)
    • If on a budget, can replace any of the above with a relocated/refurbished T3 (Vekoma SLC) or Speed: The Ride (Premier Launch Shuttle Coaster) - both listed for sale on a couple industry sites. 

• 4 weeks later...

Screenshot2023-10-05at6_15_23PM.thumb.png.66c476a136649e463a59a84e4519b758.png

Great Escape has their planning board meeting for Bobcat on 10/17. Here's a rendering they submitted. They'll be reusing the Bobsled station, but demolishing the current entrance and queue and relocating them. The queue will now run underneath the Bobcat lift into a new switchback. Reconfigured ramps for the entrance/exit as well.

Screenshot2023-10-05at6_19_02PM.thumb.png.2fbd99c6e59ab5d69617e589f542ffb1.png

Here's one of the site plans as well. Their submitted documents say there will be lights on the handrails on the lift and drop as well so that will be a nice addition. Increased landscaping too.

Hopefully the entrance actually comes close to the rendering - if so, this should look really nice. Seems like it will be a nice addition to the park. One that's long overdue.

If anyone wants to peel through all the documents, here's the link: https://laserfiche.queensbury.net/WebLink/browse.aspx?id=785660&dbid=0&repo=TownOfQueensbury