1. 1. VR Coasters: Yay or Nay?

• Indifferent
    • Nay
    • Yay

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as is it isn't mandatory, parks can do whatever they please as far as VR goes...

This is basically how I feel about the whole "VR Coasters" topic. As long as it is not mandatory then I don't really care either way. If it is something you can just pay an extra fee for and get the VR experience, then I'm all for it. But when/if they start making coasters that are solely VR Coasters, that's when I will start getting annoyed.

...nothing truly beats the actual experience of sitting on a roller coaster and watching it go through a real track,...

Yes! Part of the experience of riding a roller coaster is the visual aspect of riding a coaster. When that get's taken away, then to me it's nothing more than just a motion simulator on steroids.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

As long as is it isn't mandatory, parks can do whatever they please as far as VR goes...

This is basically how I feel about the whole "VR Coasters" topic. As long as it is not mandatory then I don't really care either way. If it is something you can just pay an extra fee for and get the VR experience, then I'm all for it. But when/if they start making coasters that are solely VR Coasters, that's when I will start getting annoyed.

...nothing truly beats the actual experience of sitting on a roller coaster and watching it go through a real track,...

Yes! Part of the experience of riding a roller coaster is the visual aspect of riding a coaster. When that get's taken away, then to me it's nothing more than just a motion simulator on steroids.

Pretty much what I think.

Meh. Pretty much indifferent on this one. From the sounds of it, Mack Rides and Cedar Fair will be bringing actual VR headsets to Mack coasters within the next few years. For Kings Dominion, this means Avalanche. (Maybe it will help me forget about the extremely awkward restraint situation.)

Pros:

Cool special effects!

Interactive stuff is cool!

Cons:

Sweaty, reused headsets are a disgusting lice problem waiting to happen.

Motion sickness (maybe, there might be ways to circumvent this)

I strongly think VR is very unimpressive. Also, if you have to rely on a digital screen to have a good ride experience why even bother with building a coaster. Its just lame.

Why does everything have to be digitial? Is that rely the demographic's preferance today?

I think VR technology is better suited for motion simulators rather than coasters because you can make the experience far more immersive in terms of effects. I think its an interesting idea, but like others said the problem comes with germs and such so if they can find out a way to make it sanitary than that would be awesome.

Funny this would come up, I was just looking at one of our Family Fun Center locations online last night and saw they have a VR coaster experience for something like $7

Here's the crux of the matter;

Most simulators give you the experience of something you would rarely be able to do in real life, for example fly a fighter jet, be a wizard, go back in time (Back to the Future I miss you ). So they are simulating a real-life or fantasy experience that just isn't possible or is very unlikely in real life.

If a simulator is just simulating another amusement ride, it seems redundant. As others have posted, if you want to go on a coaster, why not just ride an actual coaster? Sure, there could be sims of coasters with gimmicks that you can't do in real life, but in my opinion that would weaken the experience even more. The scary part here is that (again as others have posted) parks could start making sims of roller coasters instead of actual roller coasters, and that would be horrifying. I don't think this will happen; the sims would never get popular enough to replace a real ride, because obviously people would rather go on a real coaster and those will always be the real crowd-pleasers.

So I say nay, and I don't think we will see them explode or take over the market for coasters. It will probably be a niche thing that may make enough to just barely hang on, or it might die out completely.

edit; and the only "VR" coaster I have been on is the one before the movie where you go zooming through all the popcorn and candy and splash into the soda! Weee!

Would I want the option to ride without it? Sure I would, of course.

But this does not diminish the potential. Wearing a VR set on a coaster could be an incredibly surreal, fresh, enjoyable experience.

Parks could also achieve attractive experiences for a wider range of a guests, respective to the investment. In other words, a $few-million family size coaster with a $million VR system appended could suddenly become a genuine draw for the mom/dad and older bro/sis, instead of just a space to "do something together as a family" with the younger bro/sis.

The opportunity to create a new ride experience with a few behind-the-scenes mouse clicks has tremendous implications. Not just for guests, but for the industry itself and its relationship to creative digital content. The easy scalability means big-budget content could be licensed to smaller parks that don't have the resources for Disney-level physical themeing. Related: how you can go see a $200-million movie for ten-odd bucks, just down the road, any day you like.

I do wonder if your average naysayer has even experienced a state-of-the-art VR headset in the last year or so.

The purist POV is close-minded and short-sighted.

^^a simulator attraction isn't what's being discussed here. Look at this: http://www.vrcoaster.com/

I'll be the lone voice saying that I think this is a great idea for an attraction, and can open up a lot of avenues for innovation. I wonder if the reactions around here will change or be reinforced once people start actually trying them.

Ah I see, I have never heard of this before, thanks for correcting me. So instead of simulating a coaster ride, it's a coaster ride simulating another experience.

After checking this out, I'd say do it if you want. As long as they give you the option to ride without a stupid Oculus Rift on your face, I don't see any problem with it. Personally I still say nay, but I would try it and might change my mind. I can imagine there could be some cool things able to be experienced with this.

The opportunity to create a new ride experience with a few behind-the-scenes mouse clicks has tremendous implications. Not just for guests, but for the industry itself and its relationship to creative digital content. The easy scalability means big-budget content could be licensed to smaller parks that don't have the resources for Disney-level physical themeing. Related: how you can go see a $200-million movie for ten-odd bucks, just down the road, any day you like.

I do wonder if your average naysayer has even experienced a state-of-the-art VR headset in the last year or so.

The purist POV is close-minded and short-sighted.

I'm with you. The potential for immersion in the experience is enormous and far greater than anything possible with animatronics or projections. You literally create the entire world without needing to worry about hiding show buildings, wires, etc.

It also makes sense that this would be useful on powered coasters rather than real "coasting" roller coasters since it is easier to control the speed throughout the ride when it is on a third rail.

^I agree that it would depend on the ride, and that VR on powered coasters would make more sense than on a major ride. My one experience with VR at Disney Quest, and this was years ago, was unpleasant, at best (actually had to leave the building and sit outside in the fresh air for a while, thanks to nausea). I'm willing to give it another shot, but I'd much rather have a better physical environment for ride as opposed to a VR helmet.

Edited by cfc

The Oculus Rift stuff is significantly better in terms of quality than the sets of 20 years ago. I know a lot of people who play racing simulation style games on the the computer swear by them and won't even consider monitors any more. The ability to track movement and the weight have dropped tremendously.

Don't knock it until you try it is what I say. Some coasters just suck...Plain and simple. Make Ninja at SFOG a VR coaster and have the whole visual experience having an actual Ninja kicking your A$$ as you go through the course...Now that would make sense! Yay!

Or render you incapable of defending yourself during the ride.

VR Coasters

Keep 'em.

I think slapping speakers on a coaster train is dumb enough gimmick- VR Coasters just strikes me as a desperate concept from someone running out of ideas. It's like putting a sunroof on a convertible. I'd love to see this idea go nowhere.

• 1 month later...

To make it more interesting here...

Europa Park in Germany just opend a VR-Coaster ... ok... the modified thier Powerd Coaster "Alpenexpress" but ist very funny...

Ok and a lot of technology... in This case, wireless or bluethoot is the conntection sulution wich really works great and doesn't slow down the capacity...

In Rust, they use the Samsung Gear VR- Headset with a Samsung Galaxy S6...

Here s intoduction movie:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

And they just try it on Mack Rides blue fire also located at Europa Park as much as on Pegasus ( also Europa Park )

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

There are even some more Videos about tests with different movies...

Here a link to VR-Coaster:

http://vr-coaster.com/

If you have Questions, just feel free to ask... if possible i will answer...

( And i Just rode this Alpenexpress VR-Ride about 23 times )