TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Energylandia Park Discussion Thread

I think it's very fair to be skeptical of Vekoma's performance after everything they've given us thus far. The only Vekoma's I actually like are the Disney ones.

You make it should like Vekoma has done a lot of inherently bad work. Rough, I'll give you, but that's not always their fault.

Other than f***ing over Arrow Dynamics...

In my opinion, both layouts look fantastic. If you had told me I'd be splitting hairs over an Intamin and Vekoma layout a few years ago, I wouldn't have believed you.

If both rides cost the same, I'd pick the Intamin since they've proven they can design a world class hyper coaster. If Vekoma costs less, this might be their opportunity.

In my opinion, both layouts look fantastic. If you had told me I'd be splitting hairs over an Intamin and Vekoma layout a few years ago, I wouldn't have believed you.

If both rides cost the same, I'd pick the Intamin since they've proven they can design a world class hyper coaster. If Vekoma costs less, this might be their opportunity.

But probably they should take into account that Intamin's aren't exactly the masters of reliability so I'm gonna say that the intamin could cost more to run

Vekoma's customer designs seem to be okay. Most of the Venom hate comes from their off the shelf rides. I would rather see the vekoma get built, it would be something different and give them a chance to break out of the SLC/Boomerang/ etc mold.

I was wondering the same thing, but no, they're still talking about the Vekoma as well.

Yeah I just went to their paged a few minutes ago b/c Energylandia gave me likes on my I vote for Intamin comments and I noticed the Vekoma concept is way down the page like in the spot from when they first posted the concept the views for the Vekoma is at 90k and is at 98k for the Intamin so even though it hasn't been officially announced I do think the Intamin is is going to win

^^ I'm skeptical to the idea that they would actually leave the final decision on a multi-million euro investment in the hands of a facebook post. I gues we'll see what happens.

I think it's pure marketing, to get as many people as possible talking about the park and the new ride. Obviously they will not base their decision on a facebook poll.

In general, was anyone else surprised by the park's decision to put both proposals out there? We've long seen guest surveys that solicit preferences and reactions about possible new attractions, but has there ever been such an overt reveal of choices?

I can't see Energylandia doing this in good faith without permission from Vekoma and Intamin. It's fun to crowdsource opinions and get the public involved (ex. submitting & choosing new flavors of potato chips), but it seems ethically crummy to the manufacturers if Energylandia took closed-door proposals and put them out there for social dissection. The requests for proposals that I've worked with in a few different industries spell out specific confidentiality disclosures and clauses. As much as we imagine it'd be cool to weigh in on planning decisions at parks, we already do have a voice -- to the extent that parks choose to check out sites like TPR and value our sentiment. I'd bet the majority of them already do this.

I've certainly paid a lot more attention to Energylandia than I ever had in the past, and fortunately both proposals look great, but I also think it'd be in bad judgment for a park to assume that the GP knows what it wants. If Energylandia blindly trusts Facebook advice, are we really going to see great rides not come to fruition because 14-year-olds flood commentary with sentiment like, "Nope dat sucks sry lol," or something along those lines? If the comparison was put out there simply to stimulate social media, and the park really knows which way it's leaning, then why become the park that dangled a manufacturer's rejected proposal to the public? To me, RFPs shouldn't be handled like a reality show.

Vekoma has now an official video about the F1 coaster at Energylandia:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

And there is also a 360° POV video now:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

The F1 coaster really proves at Energylandia, that Vekoma builds great custom designed coasters - and the restraints work very good as well!

I can't see Energylandia doing this in good faith without permission from Vekoma and Intamin. It's fun to crowdsource opinions and get the public involved (ex. submitting & choosing new flavors of potato chips), but it seems ethically crummy to the manufacturers if Energylandia took closed-door proposals and put them out there for social dissection. The requests for proposals that I've worked with in a few different industries spell out specific confidentiality disclosures and clauses. As much as we imagine it'd be cool to weigh in on planning decisions at parks, we already do have a voice -- to the extent that parks choose to check out sites like TPR and value our sentiment. I'd bet the majority of them already do this.

There's no way they just went rogue and put all of this out there. For them to release everything, it had to have been part of the RFP to designers that their products would be subject to a public contest of some sort, or that whatever they proposed would be the property of Energylandia once it was transmitted to them. That may have scared away a few manufacturers, but it's definitely building a lot of hype for the park so I'd say they're getting a solid payoff for a pretty ballsy approach.

^ I agree with yah.

Another thing that's great about this is that they're [at least somewhat] giving their guests a voice, rather than letting the designers and manufacturers decide what they THINK the guests will enjoy.

Energylandia just announced on their FB that the new Mega Coaster will be around 80 meters high and it will be the tallest Mega Coaster in Europe!!!

Holy crap! This really will become a must go park!

A lesson for Vekoma in the category: Never underestimate the better presentation. I think that Vekoma should have put much more work in their simulation. With a way better looking sim their ride would have had a much better opportunity at winning thing. No matter what, the ride will be good, but I would have loved to see vekoma do this since their lay-out look much more fan instead of a: 'lets throw as much in it as we can' lay-out.