TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand-Up coasters= A failed concept?

You know, I've really noticed that coaster enthusiasts don't have an awful lot of good things to say about standing coasters, I've only been on two of them. Shockwave at KD, and Mantis/Rougarou. In my experience, Mantis was on the threshold of really fun and just plain painful, Shockwave was a good amount of fun, but I just think that standing during the ride felt really awkward. With the advent of the inverted coaster, the floorless coaster, the flying coaster, and now the winged coaster, it seems like the idea of standing up while riding a roller coaster seemed to have failed when it comes to the long term, despite the fact that there is approximately 20 standups that were built.

I think the reason why they became popular in its time is the GP effect. Back when standups were invented, there were no floorless coasters, no flying coasters, and no inverted coasters. The idea of standing up during the ride seemed like a really novel concept, of course now we know that compared to inverts and wing coasters, stand ups are very uncomfortable rides....

So, do you think that the idea of a stand up coaster was a failed concept?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the concept is necessarily a failed concept. I personally enjoy the feeling you get on the stand up coasters. The experience you get while standing up on the drops and the inversion to me is fun. What I do not like about them is how uncomfortable they are. If they are not hurting your manly bits, then the head banging is to much to want to deal with. If a company could create a Standup Coaster 2.0 that doesn't hurt your naughty bits, and doesn't have the head banging then I would be all for it.

So... a failed concept? No.

Could it be improved?? Yes. Very much so. Should B&M build any more?? Not till they can do so without it making you unable to ever reproduce, and without it making your ears bleed.

I think that stand up coaster were a fad.

Yeah, I think like a lot of roller coaster types, stand-ups were a large fad when they first really began appearing. I think when they first began becoming big, everyone had the mindset of "WOW! I've never stood UP on a roller coaster! This is something I should try!" But now since that fad has died down, everyone just kind of sees them as uncomfortable and painful, which to me is strange. When I rode my first stand-up, it wasn't uncomfortable or anything like that, but it left this really weird sensation in my feet.

I wonder how we'll see the current coaster fads in 25 years from now.

I wonder how we'll see the current coaster fads in 25 years from now.

25 years from now: "You know those wing coasters?? They are just so forceless, boring, repetitive, and have this really bad rattle to them. They all have the same elements. There's never any airtime on the airtime hills..." --- Oh wait..

The thing I've noticed about the Stand-ups is that Riddlers and Scorcher seem to get the reputation of being the smoothest ones, and they were the last ones built which kind of shows B&M were improving on them, but the fad just kind of ended.

Edited by Projektion

I agree with it being a fad. I just think how some of the older models aged has left a stigma on the genre as a whole. You have ones like the Vortexes and Green Lantern that beat the daylights out of you, whereas Georgia Scorcher is one of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden. I'd be curious to see what a new B&M stand up would be like now, 15 years since the last one was built.

Definitely not a failed concept given how many stand-ups were built between Togo, B&M, and Intamin.

The Togo model wasn't bad just really awkward to get in and out of the restraints plus the weird waist bar that you had to slide in and out of, which memory was brought back when I rode Shock Wave at KD a couple year's ago.

Haven't tried an Intamin model but seeing how they were the precursors to the B&M's I can imagine how they are/were. I must admit the first time I saw photos of Shockwave at SFMM back in the 80's I loved the look of the ride and its layout. Seemed like such a huge step forward for the concept compared to the Togo rides.

B&M stand-ups I never thought were too uncomfortable but the oversized restraints, especially in the head area, I thought were the big problems with the trains. Riddler and Scorcher are definitely the best of the genre.

As a side note, I find it odd that Drayton Manor's Intamin Shock Wave is the only stand up with a zero-G roll. Wonder why B&M never tried that with any of their models.

I remember riding the Batman The Escape from former Astroworld in 1999, and it was Very Fun, Intense, & Smooth! But its not like Green Lantern, Riddler's Revenge, or Mantis/Rougarou! Not in a bad way, but Batman The Escape(Astroworld)/Le Cobra(La Ronde) seem to have the G Force than the Vortex from California's Great America, & Carowinds!

I've personally always enjoyed a ride on Riddler's Revenge. It has a pretty long track which I enjoy due to Vortex's very short one.To be fair going from Vortex (Great America) most of our life to Riddler's really impressed my family when we first went to SFMM, as well as many other coasters. Today I really don't mind missing it, especially if it's 25+mins. I hardly ever hit Vortex, might even be years & I visit the park often.

As many have stated, I think it was just a fad but not a failed concept. Standing up on a coaster seemed fun at first, but over the years everyone wanted to try new things & standing up just doesn't seem as impressive anymore.

At the moment I feel that the stand-up coaster is a failed concept. Mainly because of the crown jewel issue for men, from what I have read, but that can be solved. However, if the concept was improved on, say for example they made the floor transparent, than maybe the concept will be popular once again. It will be interesting to see if this is what B&M are doing, and if so what they come up with. Now talking about stand-up coasters, since I haven't been on one yet, what limits are there for disabled people to be allowed to ride this this type of ride?

I remember riding the Batman The Escape from former Astroworld in 1999, and it was Very Fun, Intense, & Smooth! But its not like Green Lantern, Riddler's Revenge, or Mantis/Rougarou! Not in a bad way, but Batman The Escape(Astroworld)/Le Cobra(La Ronde) seem to have the G Force than the Vortex from California's Great America, & Carowinds!

As someone who's ridden cobra (Batman Escape clone), I found it was very "meh" compared with the Togo version at CW. CW's standup had far more airtime and positive Gs, whereas Cobra was just plain forceless in some parts.

Most of the stand ups I've ridden range from OK (Green Lantern) to wretched (Vortex at Carowinds). Oddly enough, some of the Togo stand ups in Japan are pretty good rides (Milky Way coaster at Mitsui). I do believe this particular design is "dead." When was the last new stand up built?

At the moment I feel that the stand-up coaster is a failed concept. Mainly because of the crown jewel issue for men, from what I have read, but that can be solved. However, if the concept was improved on, say for example they made the floor transparent, than maybe the concept will be popular once again. It will be interesting to see if this is what B&M are doing, and if so what they come up with. Now talking about stand-up coasters, since I haven't been on one yet, what limits are there for disabled people to be allowed to ride this this type of ride?

I love the idea of a transparent floor! That would be really creepy and cool at the same time.

But I think stand-up coasters are a failed concept due to the restraints. I found Shockwave to be quite good (though I know I'm in the minority) and found SkyRider decent (90% of the ride was great, but that trick track segment was the most painful maneuver I've ever experienced on a coaster). Meanwhile, I have hated the 3 B&M stand-ups I've been on. Of the 4 I've been on, I liked Six Flags America's Apocalypse the best since it had the least headbanging due to its slower speed. Even the two that are considered the best and some of the smoothest (Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern) were two of the most painful roller coaster rides of my life.

Most of the stand ups I've ridden range from OK (Green Lantern) to wretched (Vortex at Carowinds). Oddly enough, some of the Togo stand ups in Japan are pretty good rides (Milky Way coaster at Mitsui). I do believe this particular design is "dead." When was the last new stand up built?

1999. Interestingly enough, it appears to be the best standup (Georgia scorcher)

People have short attention spans. Roller coaster technology has advanced beyond the point where a stand-up coaster is marketable gimmick. It definitely wasn't a failed concept, since 3 different manufacturers managed to sell so many.

I remember when they first came onto the scene. The first one I rode was the one at King's Dominion. I think it was 1988 or so. I remember looking at it from the midway and thinking, "Looks like a one-trick pony. It's trick is "standing"."

It really was. At no point during my day there did I think, "Oh, I want to ride that again!" I don't think it even had much of a line. There was just nothing to it except "standing".

When the Scorcher came to Six Flags Over Georgia I wasn't too enthused. I rode it, though. I think the Scorcher is a pretty good ride but standing really doesn't add anything to it. It's just a good coaster layout all on it's own.

The problems I have with standing coasters:

- increased load time as they lock things down, someone doesn't have it right, they unlock, then relock, then someone else doesn't have it right. It seems like they go through this, at best, just twice but more likely 3 or so times with each load.

- standing really doesn't add anything to the ride. There's no extra thrill to standing.

- The seats/restraint aren't particularly comfortable.

I kind of hope that they're done with standing coasters, myself.

1999. Interestingly enough, it appears to be the best standup (Georgia scorcher)

Scorcher and Riddler's Revenge are the best of the bunch.

^ Until I rode Riddler's, SkyRider was my favorite stand-up. Green Lantern is a torture machine for me. I had a leg injury when I first rode it (smart, right?), and it was INCREDIBLY painful. Reriding it this year injury free wasn't much better. I'll gladly choose Vortex over Green Lantern.

^ Until I rode Riddler's, SkyRider was my favorite stand-up. Green Lantern is a torture machine for me. I had a leg injury when I first rode it (smart, right?), and it was INCREDIBLY painful. Reriding it this year injury free wasn't much better. I'll gladly choose Vortex over Green Lantern.

I always thought Skyrider would've been a great ride as a sitdown looper.