TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When will Cedar Fair finally partner with RMC?

I would not be surprised if they are not already working on an Iron Horse treatment for Mean Streak, and we just do not know it yet. Given the success of NTG, (Minus the obvious) and IR... I bet they are already working on something for Mean Streak. But that's just my though.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only ones I could really see are Ghostrider and/or Mean Streak.

Thunderhawk is over 90 years old. It could be a very good coaster if they re-tracked it but iron horsing a wood coaster that's almost 100 years old would be a ridiculously stupid decision and honestly a real shame. I'd change that to "no chance". It may be too small for them to do much with it anyway.

Grizzly at King's Dominion would also be an interesting choice. Sure, it was a misery inducing journey through the trees when I rode it in 2012 but RMC could work in some cool headchoppers with the dense forest around it. Plus KD is coming due for something major in the next couple of years.

It's not really fair to call any park in the chain the "test park". Without putting a whole lot of thought into it I can easily think of "firsts" that went to Cedar Point, King's Dominion, King's Island, Knott's and Wonderland.

Dinosaurs Alive, Fast Lane, a Windseeker, Splashdown element, 200' woodie, The Bat, King Cobra; it's certainly not the only "test park" in the chain. It is however, prone to gimmicky attractions that eventually find their way to other parks in the chain. With that being said, I do not believe this will be the first park to receive a RMC refurbishment.

Cedar Fair didn't even own the park when they built the Bat, Son of Beast or King Cobra and B&M had already done a splashdown with Griffon and Sheikra so it was the first splashdown in the chain but it wasn't anything that required a "test park".

I too think it'll be CW's Minebuster. Wonderland seems to be CF's main "test" park, and Minebuster's a pretty well known ride there that needs some TLC.

I wouldnt say Canadas Wonderland is Cedar Fair's test park by any means (especially considering it was owned by Paramount up until a few years ago). Sure, they were the first with a dark ride, but thats pretty much it.

They tested out the first Giga there! You could argue that wasn't a "test" but it sure was the first out there, and now it appears more of them are gonna go around in the chain...

Millennium Force and I305 would like to have a word with you.....

I'm sorry I meant to say B&M giga my bad

I too think it'll be CW's Minebuster. Wonderland seems to be CF's main "test" park, and Minebuster's a pretty well known ride there that needs some TLC.

I wouldnt say Canadas Wonderland is Cedar Fair's test park by any means (especially considering it was owned by Paramount up until a few years ago). Sure, they were the first with a dark ride, but thats pretty much it.

They tested out the first Giga there! You could argue that wasn't a "test" but it sure was the first out there, and now it appears more of them are gonna go around in the chain...

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but CF also was the first to use the new B&M hyper trains.

EDIT: Also think Wild Beast at CW might be a good candidate. It's a pretty neglected ride, and it'd definitely breathe new life into the ride. If actually say WB is worse than Minebuster.

Wild Beast is definitely worse than Minebuster, I actually don't find Minebuster that bad. It just lacks any intense airtime.

Mean Streak seems like the perfect candidate for RMC. It's complete crap, it's in a park with much better coasters and the park lacks a good woodie (even if it is technically a steel coaster). Personally I wish CP would have done this over Gatekeeper.

Considering some of the morning testing for Wild Beast involves inching it over the crest of the lift to see if it will get stuck on the too slow turnaround, I think it is a VERY good candidate. I cant think of any other coaster I've seen where that is an ordinary part of the morning routine.

Having ridden Mean Streak for the first time last week, I have to say it was actually pretty smooth. However, the layout is really boring and uninspiring. I'd rather see a brand-new wood RMC in its spot instead of giving it the Iron Box treatment.

^Have you ever ridden (Old) Texas Giant or watched its POV? The amount of reprofiling they did on NTAG is quite significant. Sure, Texas Giant was always a better ride than Mean Streak but they shared a lot in common in terms of pacing and layout. It would take a bit more creativity but I'm confident RMC could turn Mean Streak into a world class ride with their Iron Horse treatment.

Considering some of the morning testing for Wild Beast involves inching it over the crest of the lift to see if it will get stuck on the too slow turnaround, I think it is a VERY good candidate. I cant think of any other coaster I've seen where that is an ordinary part of the morning routine.

Other than the turnaround, wild beast would be an amazing ride if it just got topper tracked.

The best thing that could be done IMO, is to topper track WB, and completely Iron horse Minebuster, adding an inversion or two, and bringing back the intensity.

^"Rocky Mountain Minebuster" also has a nice ring to it too... Unlikely name, but you never know.. The ride's in a park with rides named Windseeker (model name), and Drop Tower (Drop tower... Really??).

As for how likely the conversion will be, I don't know... Not worried that cost will be a factor though. Outlaw run & NTAG only cost around $10 million (same as guardian & Windseeker). Compair that to Leviathan & Behemoth, which cost nearly 3x that.

^"Rocky Mountain Minebuster" also has a nice ring to it too... Unlikely name, but you never know.. The ride's in a park with rides named Windseeker (model name), and Drop Tower (Drop tower... Really??).

As for how likely the conversion will be, I don't know... Not worried that cost will be a factor though. Outlaw run & NTAG only cost around $10 million (same as guardian & Windseeker). Compair that to Leviathan & Behemoth, which cost nearly 3x that.

I really like "Rocky Mountain Minebuster" too, but more for the fact that this is Canada's Wonderland, and it would be nice to incorporate the rocky mountains into a coaster name as well, but that name likely won't happen, let alone an RMC minebuster.

Ghostrider would be an awesome candidate for RMC. I remember riding it in 2001, and it was one of my favorite wooden coasters. I went back in 2007 and it completely dropped out of my top 10. Sad to see.

Ghost rider would be a good candidate for topper track. I know it worked wonders with Tremors which many people said was terrible prior to RMC coming in. It would be a damn shame if RMC iron horsed the thing, especially with Collosus most likely getting the treatment.

Mean streak, which I've always considered a cousin to Texas Giant would clearly be a great candidate for the iron horse treatment. I dont know what else CF is waiting for, they need to get on this trend meow!

Ghostrider already has an amazing layout, topper track would suit it just fine as well as some new trains. I still remember how great the ride was for the first 4-5 years, very sad the last time I rode it and it was absolute garbage.

Hmm Timber Wolf could be amazing with a RMC treatment! Honestly nearly anything could be!

Timber Wolf is honestly a good candidate. It was built about the same time as Texas Giant and Rattler, so we know the age of the existing structure won't be a problem. Prowler renders Timber Wolf unnecessary, being a wood coaster about the same height and speed as Timber Wolf but a much better coaster in every way. If they went with inversions, it would help bolster the lineup, as currently Patriot is their only full-circuit coaster with inversions. Plus, it would compete directly with Silver Dollar City--and Worlds of Fun has had a tendency to build the same or very similar attractions to ones already in Six Flags St Louis in recent years (GCI woodie in 2009, trap door slide in 2013, giant chairswing this year).

I like how just about everybody on this thread wants the closest Cedar Fair park to them to be the one to get RMC.

I didn't even think about that. Two RMC hybrids within 10 minutes of each other?! Hmmm...maybe not the best idea. Yeah I'd say they should stick with topper track.

Well, an hour and a half away from each other, but either way, I wouldn't be complaining if that happened! If anything it could get California back on the enthusiast map

Personally I wish CP would have done this over Gatekeeper.

As much as I like GateKeeper I have to agree with this, the $25-28 mil CP dropped on GateKeeper could've gotten them an RMC treatment for Mean Streak, plus another smaller attraction like a Premier custom launcher, or a Euro fighter etc;

In terms of receiving a return on investment, I remember Kinzel on record saying TTD was the biggest mistake he'd ever made. Maybe at the time it was considering all the problems but GK to me was a bigger mistake (even though he didn't make it) just because it was so damn expensive and will never get the attention/hype/fan appreciation of TTD.