TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kolmården Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's much point in analyzing the layout at least until we have a better POV, but I do have one thought...

If I were to picture my perfect roller coaster, and it seems like RMC really is trying to build "perfect roller coasters", there's one thing this ride is missing, as awesome as it looks. And that's El Toro's suicide hills, two big ones, back to back. They're special not just because of the speed you maintain going over the top, but their sheer size means that in the back you get that face-ripping airtime practically all the way down to the bottom. This ride looks like it keeps with RMC's tendencies to have lots of little pops of extreme airtime, but I'm missing the one giant hill, one singular moment of extended ejector airtime. It's something I'd really like to see RMC attempt at some point. Bunny hops are fun and all, but you need that height to get airtime that lasts.

This is having not ridden Outlaw Run though, maybe if I did I'd forget all about this minor quibble.

Does anyone know why with both this and Outlaw Run they have that little hill right before the first drop? Seems like it would be more intense without it, if you hit the first drop at a faster speed.

EDIT: One thing I do love is it looks like you hit that last inversion with a ton of speed, which is kind of new for RMC. Ok yes I'm totally analyzing the layout now, sorry.

I wonder if they will use a Goliath type of lift hill support? Less foundation work on the hill not to mention how even more bad A$$ that would look.

That was my question. Wheres the press release that Wildfire actually looks like "THIS"!!!!! HAHAHA coaster nerds!

Fooled you! - Love, RMC

If I were to picture my perfect roller coaster, and it seems like RMC really is trying to build "perfect roller coasters", there's one thing this ride is missing, as awesome as it looks. And that's El Toro's suicide hills, two big ones, back to back. They're special not just because of the speed you maintain going over the top, but their sheer size means that in the back you get that face-ripping airtime practically all the way down to the bottom.

Right there is (are?) the reason (reasons?) why I like El Toro so much. Those hills are absolutely glorious, and I would trade crazy acrobatics and inversions for those wonderful huge hills any day of the year.

The only possible knock on the RMC's could be the length, and that's no issue here.

You're right PKI. It could end up being the best wooden coaster on Earth.

Unless of course something even crazier comes along in between now and then

The only possible knock on the RMC's could be the length, and that's no issue here.

You have to remember, though, the length is not decided by RMC, that's determined by the budget the park has for a ride. Every foot of track = more $$$

RMC was just fortunate in this case that Kolmarden's goal was to get noticed and had the money and balls to move forward with this.

As far as length goes, though, there are only 19 other coasters in the world longer than Wildfire, which puts this in VERY good company. Many of them are only longer by a couple hundred feet. El Toro is only 134 longer than this ride which translates into not much more time. In this case I'm VERY happy with the track length of Wildfire!

What are suicide hills?

That's my name for giant hills with extremely steep drops that feel like they're going to kill you.

So so so true. When ever I see a steep cliff and you either look down it or up at it you think..."Man someone could die here"

Onto the coaster, holy smokes. RMC is awesome.

I'm incredibly impressed by RMC and this coaster. I'm reminded of a longer version of Outlaw Run, with potential for wooden perfection! It seems to me that Scandi and Sweden specifically will have one of the highest densities of World-Class coasters per area in the world. Within a few hours of each other, we will have Balder, Helix, Wildfire, Piraten, Speed Monster, Twister, and Insane! I will surely need to visit in 2016!

What is especially cool about Wildfire is that it is NOT steeper, taller or faster than Goliath. It wouldn't matter either way, as there is no close "competition," but I just think that's cool. They are going for a nice and long quality ride. We all know that height, speed and angle of descent don't make a ride...

What is especially cool about Wildfire is that it is NOT steeper, taller or faster than Goliath. It wouldn't matter either way, as there is no close "competition," but I just think that's cool. They are going for a nice and long quality ride. We all know that height, speed and angle of descent don't make a ride...

Exactly. This coaster seems together it right.

The 90's were the decade for B&M, the 2000's for Intamin, and the 2010's will go down as the RMC decade. With this ride they have cemented themselves as the dominant manufacturer of high-quality, large coasters in the present time. Not only do they offer the highest quality, but they do it at a much lower cost than just about everybody. This ride just looks like it's at another level. There's really nothing more to say about RMC. Not to be corny but it's nice to see an American company doing what they're doing.

^ Except that Intamin isn't really done building. I mean, I'd consider the Mega-Lites, I305, SkyRush, Divertical, Formula Rossa, Cheetah Hunt, etc, all very recent projects. And there are still quite a few projects coming up with several 10 Inversion coasters, that 250 foot/85 MPH ride going into Wanda, and the coaster going into Istanbul that keeps them very much on the radar as the ride they continue to build are all still very top notch.

^ Except that Intamin isn't really done building. I mean, I'd consider the Mega-Lites, I305, SkyRush, Divertical, Formula Rossa, Cheetah Hunt, etc, all very recent projects. And there are still quite a few projects coming up with several 10 Inversion coasters, that 250 foot/85 MPH ride going into Wanda, and the coaster going into Istanbul that keeps them very much on the radar as the ride they continue to build are all still very top notch.

Not that B&M is really in the same category as Intamin, but they seem to be trying to catch up in height and speed by manufacturing Giga coasters now, with Leviathan and whatever is coming to Carowinds next year.

I don't think there's much point in analyzing the layout at least until we have a better POV, but I do have one thought...

If I were to picture my perfect roller coaster, and it seems like RMC really is trying to build "perfect roller coasters", there's one thing this ride is missing, as awesome as it looks. And that's El Toro's suicide hills, two big ones, back to back. They're special not just because of the speed you maintain going over the top, but their sheer size means that in the back you get that face-ripping airtime practically all the way down to the bottom. This ride looks like it keeps with RMC's tendencies to have lots of little pops of extreme airtime, but I'm missing the one giant hill, one singular moment of extended ejector airtime. It's something I'd really like to see RMC attempt at some point. Bunny hops are fun and all, but you need that height to get airtime that lasts.

This is having not ridden Outlaw Run though, maybe if I did I'd forget all about this minor quibble.

Does anyone know why with both this and Outlaw Run they have that little hill right before the first drop? Seems like it would be more intense without it, if you hit the first drop at a faster speed.

EDIT: One thing I do love is it looks like you hit that last inversion with a ton of speed, which is kind of new for RMC. Ok yes I'm totally analyzing the layout now, sorry.

Wildfire does look a bit similar to El Toro in this way. A slow turn around at elevation before a near vertical drop followed by two ejector hills, except with Wildfire you're not right side up at the top of the ejector hills. New and improved Toro ... but with more twistyness, more elements, terrain and inversions.

The only way this won't be the World's #1 coaster is if RMC builds something better for 2015.

Watching the video with the interview of Fred Grubb there seemed to be a hint that this is their next topper track coaster (as in, no topper track for 2015). Perhaps that means 2015 will just be Iron track refurbishments (Colossus? Boss? Riverside Cyclone?). Perhaps I misunderstood and they will have a topper track ride for 2015.

The most important question - will it have seat belts?

(just kidding)