TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I'm pretty sure this is the Pony Express thread.. not the "OMG What Will Knott's Get Next!?!?!" thread. Anyway, after talking to the GM of Zamperla, I've gotten a little excited about this coaster. The seating arrangement sounds like it will be great for not only comfort, but capacity as well!

What about the tunnel!? I didn't know that. Excellent. I was thinking something along those lines, maybe a barn it could blow through with a few bales of hay and animatronic chickens clucking... Things inexpensive but fun. We all know they have garbage cans to buy.

Just got back from Knott"s and the entire layout (track) is done. They are flying on this thing. I was talking to an employee and he said that the cars are being delivered this week. It looks really fun but I think it's too short.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is like e my first post. But i have just arived from knots berry farm to find that they are building a new ride. The pony express. I didn't have a camera but from the looks of it, Pony Express seems to be nearing completion. Smashed between screaming swings and mystery lodge, seems to be a somewhat small coaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the main ride difference between the Zamperla Motocoaster and the Intamin Motocoaster is? I rode Mick Doohan's Motocoaster at Dreamworld in Australia and found it to be incredibly disappointing. It looks like Pony Express is a little higher, but it is shorter and slower than the Intamin coaster. I fear that people may be disappointed with the ride. For some reason the novelty of the seats doesn't translate into a good ride.

Back to the question. Other than the cars being horses, the only difference I can see is that Intamin uses a tire launch. What kind of launch is Zamperla using? I hope this ride proves to be better than the one in Dreamworld. Literally everyone who rode it while I was there left disappointed. Dreamworld markets it as a thrill ride and it amounts to little more than a junior coaster IMO.

6694113_BrisbaneGoldCoast2008-02-17224_1.jpg.3c16434297065b4dbd21be32cf6bb518.jpg

Mick Doohan's BORING Motocoaster at Dreamworld in Australia. The spot in front is the highest point on the track. They advertise a top speed of 44MPH but it never feels that fast at all.

I hope this ride proves to be better than the one in Dreamworld. Literally everyone who rode it while I was there left disappointed. Dreamworld markets it as a thrill ride and it amounts to little more than a junior coaster IMO.

The difference at Knott's is that the ride is being advertized as a family coaster, not a thrill ride.

So I hear if you are 6'1'' or taller this ride will not be very friendly to you. Testing is progressing nicely, and I expect this ride to be ready for its media day, a few days before the 24th, but I don't know the exact day . I hear that this ride will have some strong force going through the second turnaround. The airtime hill looks really cool from the testing videos. If you expect a family oriented coaster, I thnk Pony Express will turn lots of heads, If you expect it to fit in with Xcelerator and Silver Bullet than it will fall short of hollow expectations.

I am 6'2'' and on Mick Doohan's my legs were pinned in very tight in the small space provided. It wasn't comfortable, but not too painful either. The whole ride was almost pointless though. I am glad that Knott's is advertising it for what it is, a family ride.

The 18th is a Sunday, so it shouldn't be too crowded. I go every month on a Sunday and crowds are never a problem. If you get there at opening you could probably finish half the rides before 12.

The 18th is a Sunday, so it shouldn't be too crowded. I go every month on a Sunday and crowds are never a problem. If you get there at opening you could probably finish half the rides before 12.

Awesome! I was a lil skeptical about crowds after I saw that the Knotts hotel was booked solid on Friday & Saturday. My band is playing the UC Irvine Dragon Skate competition on the 17th, so I figured why not use our Platinum Passes at Knotts, and show her why I love coasters so much. Xcelerator should be the hight of the trip