TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Amazing S&S towers

^ While watching the POV, does the recording tell riders to put their hands and feet straight out in front of them? If so, I think that may be the only time that I've heard a ride safety announcement that doesn't actively encourage holding onto the restraints.

They told us to put our hands out and heads against the headrests.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one in Huntsville was my first S&S tower ever. I couldn't stop re-riding after that on that day, I loved it so much! The last time I was there, summer 2010, there were so few people at the museum that I had to have at least two other people with me so they could even operate it. When there were people around, I was able to hop-on and off it over again until I got a total of 5 re-rides.

Others I've ridden was Dr. Doom's Fear Fall at IoA and Liberty Launch at Holiday World. Liberty Launch, a double shot, turned out to be much better thanks to the two-times ejector airtime at the top.

I went to a small NASA rocket museum in Huntsville Alabama. While there, I got two rides on the parks' S&S double shot ride placed next to a Saturn V rocket. This ride gave loads of airtime with a great view. Has anyone else ridden this great tower?

that's at the Armory, is it not? (I'm trying to remember, it was back in 2004, when my Ex lived in Huntsville..so I used to visit a lot.

we saw an IMAX film there, toured the rocket garden (where the ride is) . . .somewhere I have a pic. .

found it:

I went to a small NASA rocket museum in Huntsville Alabama. While there, I got two rides on the parks' S&S double shot ride placed next to a Saturn V rocket. This ride gave loads of airtime with a great view. Has anyone else ridden this great tower?

that's at the Armory, is it not? (I'm trying to remember, it was back in 2004, when my Ex lived in Huntsville..so I used to visit a lot.

we saw an IMAX film there, toured the rocket garden (where the ride is) . . .somewhere I have a pic. .

found it:

That looks like it, since I remember the shed on the left.

• 7 months later...

Hands down Big Shot at the Stratosphere takes the cake. The view, and the fact that it is a first generation Space Shot, it only has cables on the top, so it catapults you to the top and feels more "out of control". Also as far as Turbo Drop models go, the prototype that is operating at Buffalo Bill's in Primm, Nevada (Where Desperado is) is the most intense standard Turbo Drop.

But I have noticed the restraints on S&S Shot Towers have gone to having this bump in the crotch area, you can see the difference in the two below photos I found online.

The airtime now is not as crazy as it used to be, don't get it wrong, it's still great!

Stratosphere_Ride_Martyn_big.jpg.871d18edee290ba0c01f303a77c70a6d.jpg

Old Padding

stratosphere-las-vegas-after.thumb.jpg.2e2de82b1d3d7eac7834beae95de7737.jpg

New Padding

I agree with everyone else that they're not all created equal. I'd never go as far as calling Dominator at Dorney an "intense" ride, but the red side gives enough airtime to get me giggling every time, it's one of my favorite rides there. The one at Cedar Point felt more like a fast elevator ride, and the launch upwards wasn't smooth, it felt like another set of hydraulics had to kick in halfway through to get us the rest of the way up the tower. The height was incredible, but honestly I'd have to say Dominator is the better ride.

I usually find that the smaller towers pack a larger punch in terms of forces and airtime. Dr. Doom at Universal is one of the most intense S&S towers I have been on, even though it only stands 200 feet tall. Whereas Power Tower at Cedar Point, despite it's massive size and four towers, provides a pretty mild experience...at least I think so.

I simply don't get this at all. I have ridden both and find power tower to be great. Dr. Doom was boring and hardly packed a thrill. We are all entitled to our own opinion but I couldn't disagree more on this one.

The most intense tower I've been on is probably Detonator at Worlds of Fun. I was definitely not expecting that, after having ridden several taller versions.

My least favorite probably goes to Cedar Point. It's not the tallest ride in the park, so it doesn't offer as much of a "wow" factor when it comes to that, and it also was the least forceful of the towers I've ridden.

Marineland's Sky Screamer is my favorite S&S tower because of its location, towering height, and combo mode, but in terms of raw power, the tower was the standard S&S tower, and there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion since I love their drop towers.

Two towers that really do stand-out for me though are Funtown's Dragon's Descent and Canobie's StarBlaster. Dragon's Descent is slightly taller than the standard turbo drop (220 ft), but the drop just seems so much stronger. There is a greater stomach dropping sensation and the drop feels faster. StarBlaster is a powerful little double shot. The ride gives crazy ejector air at the top after both launches and catches people off guard every time.

I usually find that the smaller towers pack a larger punch in terms of forces and airtime. Dr. Doom at Universal is one of the most intense S&S towers I have been on, even though it only stands 200 feet tall. Whereas Power Tower at Cedar Point, despite it's massive size and four towers, provides a pretty mild experience...at least I think so.

I simply don't get this at all. I have ridden both and find power tower to be great. Dr. Doom was boring and hardly packed a thrill. We are all entitled to our own opinion but I couldn't disagree more on this one.

Really? Power Tower has barely any airtime at all when you reach the peak, causing you to briefly float, whereas Doom yanks you down when you reach max height. I haven't been on Doom since 2011, so maybe they lowered the intensity, but Power Tower was still mild as ever in September. It's still a fun ride that offers great visuals of Cedar Point, but it's lacking that extreme thrill factor and is too drawn out.