TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Cowabunga Bay coming to Las Vegas!

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw many of the facebook posts, many were supportive but others, well, I wouldn't want my child seeing me behave that way

Like I said on the CBLV FB, I'd rather see a park that is 100% ready to rock and not 70%, rushing is always a disaster in the waiting. Some of what people were posting was just mind blowing, in the youtube realm. Many needed jobs for the valley will soon become reality courtesy of Shane, it's not like it's gonna sit there, uncompleted like oh, I don't know, Echelon, FountainBleau, the New Frontier site, part of City Center, just to name a few. It's delayed, by what 8 months? Get over it.

• 1 month later...

Wet ’N’ Wild sure had a bumpy opening weekend, but lots of people in Las Vegas sure do want a water park…or two. Well we are still moving along on Cowabunga Bay, as a matter of fact most of our slides have now arrived on site.

IMG_9267.thumb.jpeg.ab7f173b699fb8477dc44c2d6b2c7de9.jpeg

Translucent slide for the ZumaZOOMa drop slide

IMG_5456-2.thumb.jpeg.2431192b025bf9e51a891b1e6bca0943.jpeg

Sections of the giant wave for the “Wild Surf” family raft slide

1727082484_photo1.JPG.3960c9f2da83aef7895873a1c4038b39.JPG

717172304_photo1copy.JPG.695af02c3b95a92a40ce8fd8b5a9bf65.JPG

1102656288_photo2copy2.JPG.b8b0ee2d62c8c056ecc970455d98184c.JPG

1153290878_photo2copy.JPG.4926fe28ae1250b87bbed23a4bc718d8.JPG

846025243_photo3copy.JPG.7b06066c6cc67d185ac660c8da7ab4fe.JPG

76858549_photo3.JPG.571f828483a2e93c95fb11314d24519c.JPG

446759245_photo4copy.JPG.55787f19d7cb28c57fc8a3bf1265edfd.JPG

369138504_photo4.JPG.b14aa15ffbe55376168a8f1eeb3eb1dc.JPG

1380233863_photo5copy.JPG.fa8e39be76a2db3a916864f200604ae5.JPG

946289461_photo5.JPG.41f7670e4460cab69a5a00a5497ff46f.JPG

If Wet N' Wild's opening has shown anything, it's that there is definitely a market for water parks in Vegas. I do hope Cowabunga Bay's opening next year goes more smoothly than theirs did. I know a few people that went and were not happy. Luckily, Shane knows what he's doing so I don't think it will be so rocky.

Those daylight rings (silly word-changer) on those flumes! There's something you don't see in the US! Loving the update, and I would do anything to come to this water park someday when it's up and running!

Those slides definitely look different from any I've seen elsewhere. Most are either fully opaque or fully translucent, not opaque with translucent strips. It should give an interesting experience. I can't wait to visit Las Vegas next summer and check out both Cowabunga Bay and Wet 'n' Wild. While I won't judge the parks until I actually visit, from everything I've seen so far Cowabunga Bay looks like the far superior park.

I have a question on the more technical side, Shane.

Are the two big family slides also manufactured in RTM, or just the body and pipelines slides?

Edited by _koppen

Are the two big family slides also manufactured in RTM, or just the body and pipelines slides?

Yes, both the family slides are RTM.

What does RTM mean? Is it a manufacturer, or is it a production method?

RTM is a fiberglass production method that uses injection into a two sided mold rather than spraying the fiberglass onto the mold. RTM allows for both the inside of the slide and the outside to be smooth and have the shiny finish. The older method is shiny and smooth on the inside but the outer side of the slide has a dull-surface that you can see the fiberglass fibers…does that make sense?

RTM is a fiberglass production method that uses injection into a two sided mold rather than spraying the fiberglass onto the mold. RTM allows for both the inside of the slide and the outside to be smooth and have the shiny finish. The older method is shiny and smooth on the inside but the outer side of the slide has a dull-surface that you can see the fiberglass fibers…does that make sense?

Yes it does. Thank you very much.

Sounds awesome, thank you for your time!

Can't wait to see how the Wild Surf and the Play structure turns out! (and the rest of the park as well!)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious on your construction schedule now. Do you slow up a bit because it is Summer and the heat and wait for cooler weather or do you charge ahead?

What is the new opening date? I plan on being in Vegas in late March.

Just compared the two water parks. Cowabunga Bay definitely looks like the most interesting and unique of the two. And by delaying the opening to next Spring, it shows they want to have everything up and running by day one. I do like the mountain backdrop of Wet N Wild, though it will be more out of the way. Vegas can definitely support both parks (probably more), especially being on the opposite sides of town, though both will be out of the way from the strip and require a drive (aka "locals" parks). I like the fact Cowabunga Bay will have several firsts including the racing slides that race up with a bridge crossing over that element. I also like the fact that it will have three distinct themed areas that fit well with the theme of Cowabunga Bay. Cowabunga Bay is definitely stepping up their game from their Utah park ( which looks really nice) for Vegas. Shane looks like he is in it for the heart while Wet N Wild looks like they are just in it for the $$. I'll have to squeeze a day or afternoon for Cowabunga Bay on my next Vegas trip.

I almost went to the original Wet N Wild in 2003, but it was really mild and cool on the day we were supposed to go with a chance of rain (it was Spring Break) so we decided not to go. I was thinking, I'll go there next time I'm in Vegas, not knowing it would close a year and a half later. The funny thing is I never got back to Vegas until 2010, and it was also mild when I went back (April) and it rained the first night we were there. We had planned to do Desperado on the way into Vegas and it was around 8AM when we got to Buffalo Bills. We found out it opened at 10 and my friends wanted to get into Vegas so we decided we'll hit it on the way out. We did the coaster at NYNY that night, and had planned to do the Stratosphere rides two nights later but didn't get there until almost 11 PM and they were closing earlier then what their website listed so we decided to do it before we went home the next day, which we did. We didn't leave Vegas until after 3PM and had still had that 7 hour drive to San Luis Obispo, CA, so as we were driving by Buffalo Bills we decided we were tired and would do Desperado next time. Hopefully it will still be there, lol. I didn't even think about Speed as it was late at night the one time we were at the Sahara and it was pretty dead there. I didn't think the Sahara was going to close so soon after but I'm not surprised based on how dead it was. And we were only there because we took the monorail from MGM (we were staying at Hooters) to Sahara with the intention of doing night rides at Stratsophere. The next day since we were leaving, we just drove to Stratosphere. By the way, that part of the Strip between Sahara and Stratsophere is hella sketchy at night, not something I'd want to walk again. I kinda went off on a tangent here, but the moral of the story is if you get a chance to ride / experience something, do it as it may not be there tomorrow, especially in Vegas.

^I only walked that part of the strip from Sahara (where the nearest monorail station was) to Stratsophere and back to Sahara to take the monorail back to MGM. Normally I won't walk past the Venetian/Palazzo on the Strip.

www.vegasinc.com/news/2013/jun/28/despite-delay-work-continues-southern-nevadas-seco/#/0

Construction will start again in September.

But this is probably what I find most interesting in the article:

Hassett said there’s room to expand, and the company is considering adding another attraction to the mix.

I wonder what it could be...

These blueprints of the park show a speed slide tower in the upper right corner, where it also says "(future)", maybe that's what they are planning to build straight away for the opening.

Another ride I would like to see at this park is the brad new Polin Magic Sphere ride.

When I first saw the concept art of this ride I thought it was ugly and looked lame, but when the first one in the world is starting to rise in thailand, I have really changed my opinion and it really looks awesome.

1044272_469886276441731_689702608_n.jpg

Source

Source

Edited by _koppen