TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I thought I posted previously but I did not.

About a week into the season I had a dream that the Washington Nationals were in the World Series against the Texas Rangers. I looked up the odds and to begin the year the Nats were 100-1 to win the World Series and Texas Rangers were 30-1. Not sure what their odds were to win their respective leagues, but if the Nats were 50-1 and Rangers were 15-1, a $20 parlay that they would meet in the World Series would pay around $15,000.

A friend of mine was vacationing in Vegas at the time and I almost asked him to place the bet for me.

I know it is only 20% into the season, but I sure hope these two teams don't make the World Series.

Edited by larrygator

Prior to Bosox's 2004 win, I really wanted to see Bosox-Chicubs Series.

That would've been something special.

And that's coming from a lifelong O's fan who hates Bosox/Yankees equally as much!

1227233477_bahstonsawkscack.jpg.79c3c3139bc775b6379d5c584fdef8a6.jpg

BAHSTON SAWKS CACK

91709.jpg.9f37f0b18f0f069f70bb9aece774aaa5.jpg

Hey Idiots, There never was a curse, you just sucked for 86 years

I forgot to post about my solo visit to PNC Park to see the Pirates last week, but I'll talk about it anyway.

Last Wednesday was the second game in a series against the Cubs. I wanted to go to the previous game because Paul Maholm; which is one of my favorite pitchers, was playing, but I couldn't go. They ended up winning that game and knowing the Cubs were always a fierce rival to the Pirates I still wanted to go. So even though Charlie Morton was pitching (he was 0-5 up to Wednesday's game) I went despite who was Pitching and that I had nobody to go with.

It's pretty cheap to go to a Pirate game these days. I found $5 parking across the river which is nice compared to the $20+ parking next to the stadium. They also have automated ticket sales machines outside the gates, so I picked up a $10 outfield grandstand ticket. Even though I was about as high as you can get in the stadium it still provides a wonderful view of the ball game and the city. As for the game itself Morton pitched very well and picked up his first win of the season. He is rough around the corners, but he has some amazing movement on his pitches. In addition to the pitching the offense was very good too. Ryan Church hit a solo home run with Jones and McCutchen hitting scoring doubles for a 4-2 win. I forgot to mention it was a beautiful night for baseball...

p1.jpg.16be629878690db299a52d7d2304fe19.jpg

p2.jpg.dd8ca9c42a6de165ecf78a67d440c82d.jpg

p3.jpg.fb5ec886271bd87b404f077fcf53401d.jpg

p4.jpg.e13563de1db8d65a5fad7a959c2cf63b.jpg

p5.jpg.2abd9f14ae3f94f00045f26c71f4d85b.jpg

p6.jpg.14abf4f14e73b2c6765859264b213b0c.jpg

p7.jpg.f4590630ba854b01ca4a36db9119e75b.jpg

p8.jpg.2bcc4287997db47882683a8a4d49262f.jpg

p9.jpg.5415d5b340b56875ee32630922c82c20.jpg

p10.jpg.1872cb493ef9b6f948de3e5e458ee392.jpg

p11.jpg.e02aa0b08e1bbb7794293680ccb6ac41.jpg

p12.jpg.2e1d098cb04b6dad40d2fef8b575476f.jpg

p13.jpg.2ccd1d6654d441fdc1b23d1a0cc4f84b.jpg

p14.jpg.88ee40e49e8573c87279387da5f95c92.jpg

p15.jpg.c9516df311993cc5958b72d567a2dc1e.jpg

p16.jpg.4b66cf5467215d023a41b38c3abb42e1.jpg

The Jays-Phillies series slated for June as been moved to Philly because of the G20 Summit taking place in Toronto at the same time. The Rogers Centre will be smack dab in the middle of the security zone, and as a precaution, all parties agreed to the move.

As a Jays fan, I am royally pissed off. Seeing Doc back in Toronto was something I have been looking forward to since the start of the season, and now me, and every other Jays fan is not going to get that chance.

The Jays-Phillies series slated for June as been moved to Philly because of the G20 Summit taking place in Toronto at the same time. The Rogers Centre will be smack dab in the middle of the security zone, and as a precaution, all parties agreed to the move.

As a Jays fan, I am royally pissed off. Seeing Doc back in Toronto was something I have been looking forward to since the start of the season, and now me, and every other Jays fan is not going to get that chance.

If everything played out like normal though, Doc would have missed a start in Toronto. He would have finished the series with Cleveland right before Toronto.

Ok, I thought I posted previously but I did not.

About a week into the season I had a dream that the Washington Nationals were in the World Series against the Texas Rangers. I looked up the odds and to begin the year the Nats were 100-1 to win the World Series and Texas Rangers were 30-1. Not sure what their odds were to win their respective leagues, but if the Nats were 50-1 and Rangers were 15-1, a $20 parlay that they would meet in the World Series would pay around $15,000.

A friend of mine was vacationing in Vegas at the time and I almost asked him to place the bet for me.

I know it is only 20% into the season, but I sure hope these two teams don't make the World Series.

The Rangers are actually a really good sleeper pick if their pitching holds up. The Angels and Mariners aren't playing well and I don't think the A's will hang around the whole year, so the AL West is wide open.

Even though I was about as high as you can get in the stadium it still provides a wonderful view of the ball game and the city.

I think this is the problem with Pittsburgh/The Pirates/PNC Park. People love the views, but its because people would rather watch outside the stadium than what's going on inside

Thanks for the photos Dailey, I've been to Pirates games at both the old Three Rivers Stadium and PNC Park growing up while visiting relatives in Pittsburgh, makes me want to go up there for summer vacation again.

I like going to spring training games at McKechnie Field in Bradenton as well since it's basically as old school as you can get for spring training games.

^ That's cool. Yeah I've been to Three Rivers as well. All I remember is there was plenty of parking before they decided to build the ballpark, football stadium, parking garages, and subway stations...

^^ Haha, well the skyline is beautiful. It's pretty hard not to look at it while at the game. Views are important to us...

Actually the Mellon Arena Roof has the ability to open up, but it just hasn't been done that often.

Dear World Leaders, Blue Jays, and Phillies:

By moving the Phillies-Jays series to Philadelphia you are denying the Jays fans the game most have been looking forward to seeing. You are also missing out on tons of revenue, since it is very likely the Dome will be filled close to capacity the night Halladay pitches. I, and probably all other fans, would have gladly went through the extra security that night to see the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad night for the Rays against Boston tonight. I didn't see much of the game as I was DVRing the finale of 24 and watching my CBS comedies in their season finales, so... meh.

Went to a minor league game yesterday... Lakeland Flying Tigers vs St Lucie Mets. That was fun. Lakeland won 10-4. I'm friends with their right fielder and he hit a home run, which was freaking AWESOME (also stole a base & got 4 RBI). After the game I had dinner with him and a couple other guys on the team. That was pretty cool too.

So the Phillies got blanked by the Mets for the entire series. That is pretty sweet. Should I be optimistic? I'm not really sure. I think the division is going to pan out like this:

1. Philadelphia

2. Florida

3. Washington

4. Atlanta

5. New York

* Please note, for those who don't know, I am a Mets fan living the Philly life.

^ I actually see it like that too. Maybe even Washington finishing 2nd. Its just so tight, and I love that no team is below .500. I feel good knowing that the Marlins have the best record vs their divisional opponents, and they should be getting another power bat in the lineup. They need help in bullpen though. The Braves have, by far, the worst record vs the east though, and have had a lot of last-AB wins that could have easily gone the other way (you can't expect to hit walk off Grand Slams often) I could see them finishing last, while still hovering around .500

And speaking of the NL east.. I think it's safe to assume that even with the insertion of Strasburg, that the Nat's wont be able to stay up in the 1/2 spot in the East if they stay at before the trade deadline. And this could totally be a rumor, but I'm pretty sure I heard that the Nationals may be interested in a top shelf pitcher at the deadline if they are still treading water. Imagine if they were able to grab Lee, or Oswalt. I'd imagine Lee is the more likely scenario. I could definitely see them competing for at least the NL wildcard if the had a 1-2 punch like that.