TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I was just on SFOG's Facebook page reading the comments of reactions to their new Sky Loop and Tilt-a-Whirl, and my gosh, there are absolutely no positive reactions. Everyone is just whining and complaining about it. Also, I actually got mad when I saw people complaining that they think SFOG is a neglected park, and I think that shows that some SFOG fans are just really ungrateful. I'd be ecstatic if my local park (Valleyfair) had some of SFOG's coasters. Besides, I don't think the Sky Loop looks that boring. It looks like it could have some good hangtime at the top.

Edited by VF15

SFOG had a similar ride to Joker's Chaos for several years (Looping Starship) that stood over where Goliath's brake run sits now. I have ridden a SuperLoop at a mall carnival before, and they are actually quite fun. The hangtime is quite a cool feeling, so I think it will be a good addition. Plus, it's a new flat ride! Finally!!

The empty black-top lot in front of axis arena that would be the perfect spot for Joker's Chaos (big circle), and the tilt-a-whirl (?) will probably go over where the remote control race cars are (little circle).

344872221_ScreenShot2014-08-29at12_18_24AM.png.5ec586f636fe14ab51cc9105ec381e89.png

I think if Six Flags could pull off a Gotham Carnival style look for these two new rides, then this might actually be the most theming Six Flags has had in any of their parks. You have to admit, the area is already one of the better themed Gotham zones out of all the Six Flags parks.

Rip off or not, I for one am excited to see a drop capsule and maybe some extra height added to Cliffhanger. Also, we clearly needed more flats, so the Tilt-A-Whirl and Super Loop seem like solid additions to our lineup. For 2016, I think it has to be time for RMC to make the trip down south. It will be five years since Dare Devil, RMC is obviously making their way through the chain (I believe I read on the SFStl thread that they have exclusive licensing with Six Flags, which makes sense) and that will set us up nicely to celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2017 much like SFGAm is doing for 2015 with the new hotness of their Goliath still nice and fresh.

Rip off or not, I for one am excited to see a drop capsule and maybe some extra height added to Cliffhanger. Also, we clearly needed more flats, so the Tilt-A-Whirl and Super Loop seem like solid additions to our lineup. For 2016, I think it has to be time for RMC to make the trip down south. It will be five years since Dare Devil, RMC is obviously making their way through the chain (I believe I read on the SFStl thread that they have exclusive licensing with Six Flags, which makes sense) and that will set us up nicely to celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2017 much like SFGAm is doing for 2015 with the new hotness of their Goliath still nice and fresh.

It seems like since New England and magic mountain are getting RMC treatments this year, over Texas and fiesta texas already have them, Great America has a custom one. So I think 2016 it will be over Georgia with the conversion of our cyclone and St. Louis with the conversion of the boss. Oh and forgot to mention that great adventure has el toro.

Glad to see new flats for a Six Flags park, here's hoping the overcrowded waterpark absorbs even more guests and lines in 2016.

At SFOG almost every coaster is a great example of it's genre which has the collection really rounded. I would far rather see them put in a top ten coaster someday than spend good money on a small coaster or gimmick.

^ & ^^ Don't hold your breath. 2016 is supposed to be more HH poo-poo.

I know that's what Screamscape threw out there the other day, but we’ll see. There is plenty of time for change between now and then. All I’m saying is that RMC is going through the SF chain two parks at a time right now, and I would tend to think that of the remaining parks without a RMC, we would beat out SFDK and SFA. Perhaps 2016 will be the year for SFStl and SFGAdv (though I’m of the mind that it’s kind of silly to add a RMC when you already have one of the best woodies in the world in El Toro) instead of us though. I welcome water park expansion as it means sorter lines for me in the dry park, but I would hope that if they’re going to expand they do it right with a solid slide complex with multiple slides or a big lazy river or something of that nature.

Dear diary,

Seems like lots of people whose home park is SFoG has a sense of entitlement.

It's freakin hilarious to see the comments on Facebook saying that's SFoG is the red headed step child of Six Flags. I'm like uhmmm no, try SFSTL.

Edited by ArizonaGuy

Dear diary,

It's freakin hilarious to see the comments on Facebook saying that's SFoG is the red headed step child of Six Flags. I'm like uhmmm no, try SFSTL.

So true. The GP have no idea how well-rounded and generally cared for SFOG is compared to some of the other parks in the chain... Though it does look like SFStl finally got something decent this year with a top notch, state of the art dark ride.

Dear diary,

So true. The GP have no idea how well-rounded and generally cared for SFOG is compared to some of the other parks in the chain... Though it does look like SFStl finally got something decent this year with a top notch, state of the art dark ride.

SFA and SFDK have it way worse than our park. We get good additions every once and awhile (Boomerang, well, not so much).

SFOG is a great park, with some great coasters-Goliath is in my top five steel and there are some great classic rides at the park like Mindbender and Monster Mansion. In the past few years, however, there have been some lapses in quality as far as general operations, upkeep and so forth.

I can really only speak for myself here, but I think that the primary reason that those of us who call it our home park are disappointed in the recent announcements is that we don't want to see it become a park like SF St. Louis or SF America, which seem to always get a raw deal when the new additions come. Dare Devil Dive is a fun little coaster, and SkyScreamer is a nice flat ride, but the last "big" addition was Goliath 8 years ago, and to get smaller rides a few years in a row is just a shade disappointing when other parks and other chains are getting major additions. Not everyone is a water park fan...I think it was a good decision, but I feel that they should invest more in the dry side of the park. While I think flat rides are good, essentially they are hyping up two low capacity carnival rides as major additions and calling one of them a "coaster". I get the frustration with that, because I feel the same way. That said-I still did renew my pass for 2015 (although I support those who elect not to), even though I will likely spend more time at Dollywood and Carowinds this coming year.

It isn't to me about a sense of entitlement, as much as it may seem that way to some. And I also don't feel that it is corporate somehow "dissing" certain parks while favoring others...I think SF is experiencing some serious issues at the top which caused them to have to make some decisions which ultimately led to some being let down. I think when people see Great America can get a brand new $16 Million B&M one year and then a brand new RMC the following year, and their park gets smaller additions, that seems a bit unbalanced. I am hoping that 2016 or at least 2017 will finally bring something big coaster wise again. Given the competition in the region (Carowinds with Fury325 for 2015 and the rumored something major for Dollywood in 2016) I think they might.

I think that the flat rides are, overall, good for the park.

Calling the Super Loop a "coaster" bugs me a bit.

If you look at how much they have improved from 10+ years ago, it's pretty amazing:

- trash cans get emptied

- park is A LOT cleaner

- employees are much friendlier and much more attentive. 10 years ago they were on the ride-phones talking about nothing all day and not even checking restraints.

- they're actually putting out more flowers and trying to do more landscaping which, I think, is a really good thing.

I think that during the 1990s everything was becoming a "coaster park". It wasn't about integrating a ride into the environment or trying to have a well balanced theme park. Each year it was, "Let's take out part of the parking lot and add a new coaster!"

Compare the Mind Bender to Batman or Scorcher. Batman was basically, "Take part of the parking lot," and Scorcher didn't have any trees or anything added just a bunch of granite underneath. No landscaping at all when, if they had taken time with some trees, etc., it'd be quite nice by now.

It's a bit like going to a steak house and asking, "What are your sides?" "We have steak as a side!".. Or, "What desserts do you offer?" and getting, "We have Filet Mignon!" It's not a good time when that happens. You need the sides.

I think a lot of folks expect the next "bigger than Goliath" ride and, in reality, because of the nearby airport, that's as good as it's going to get.