TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Is this really a water ride though?  Looking at the videos on Intamin's site, it looks like it runs through an empty trough within the water pool, and coordinated jets (that the site says are optional) shoot across the car as it passes through.  It doesn't look like the car actually interacts with the water directly at all.

Even if it had scoops (like Diamondback, Griffon, etc.), would that make it a "water ride?"  Are those considered "water rides?"

15 hours ago, grsupercity said:

Rumors are Jokers Fun house coaster would get the ax. That would be sad. It is a great family coaster

If true, the new Kid Flash may be intended as an alternative family ride to replace it.  Although I have heard no confirmation either, removing the Joker FHC would indeed open up some prime real estate.  But I hope not as this would come at the cost of SFoG history if the remnants of the original Spanish Fort are removed.

On a side note, I hope our park installs a splash pad / mini water play area or a heavy misting zone in the dry park similar to what SFoT; STStl, and others have.  With Hurricane Harbor being an add-on for some guests, not to mention limited hours and a long inconvenient walk to the back of the park, options for getting wet and cooling off are very limited.  Maybe the park can add such a feature near (the presumed) Ultra Surf attraction.

12 hours ago, The username said:

^Where are you hearing that, I keep hearing that everywhere but I couldn't find where it started.

I've heard that rumor when the rumor was a Mack Power Splash. The MPS is larger than the Intamin Ultra Surf in such a way that would necessitate the removal of Joker. Odds are that's where the rumor came from.

1 hour ago, michaellynn4 said:

No word on a name yet though, right?

Name will be from the public. They are going to have a contest for it. 

Also, I verified with the park, riders do not get wet, only spectators. And they can run it without water in cold weather. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CoasterGuy06 said:

With them having a naming contest I wonder if they are going to consider it as being in the ScreamPunk District ... or have they selected a DC name behind the scenes and are just using the name contest as a way to get extra publicity.

I'm pretty sure you'll enter from screampunk area across from the Thunder River entrance.  I don't think it'll be a DC themed name.  Website/app lists it in Screampunk. 

• Like 1

online didn't disappoint . . IMMEDIATELY, instead of being excited by a new ride - and a new ride type from Intamin - some morons are already complaining about "another low capacity ride"

these people are all idiots.

• Haha 1

It’s the same crap with the rumored Vekoma Super Boomerang for SFGAdv. No excitement, all just about how the park doesn’t need another low capacity ride. I don’t know if I hate that phrase or “carnival ride” more by this point. 

9 hours ago, bert425 said:

online didn't disappoint . . IMMEDIATELY, instead of being excited by a new ride - and a new ride type from Intamin - some morons are already complaining about "another low capacity ride"

these people are all idiots.

I agree.  It seems as if the park needs to announce a 3-mile long giga coaster to appease these folks.  And even then they would still complain about something.  Geez...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 9:31 PM, tndank said:

Name will be from the public. They are going to have a contest for it. 

Also, I verified with the park, riders do not get wet, only spectators. And they can run it without water in cold weather. 

"without water"  means they will use water for a few weeks then not at all after that.

• Like 2

Hi, I would love to get some advice from you because I'll be visiting Atlanta for the first time on Saturday and will want to ride all coasters at Six Flags and Fun Spot. Both will be open 12pm-10pm that day.

Normally, my plan would be to start at Six Flags, arrive early and try to quickly do as many coasters as possible before it gets too crowded, then finish off the day at Fun Spot. Would that be the way to go?

I ask because last week we were at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in CA where operations at park opening were terrible. They opened the coasters one after the other within the first 3 hours of the day so there was no point in being there early. In that case I would prefer Fun Spot first to get a few rides on the RMC before heading over to Six Flags.

Any advice would be well appreciated. I'm visiting from Germany so I don't have the regular experience that some of you have.

I'll share my thoughts about the parks and coasters afterwards with you. :-)

Below is how I do Saturday's at SFoG.  Fun Spot opens at 10am. I'd probably still suggest SFoG first.  FYI: It's about 30-40 min between the two parks.  Could hit AF at 10am for a few rides and still get to SFoG by 1130, but that's rushing it and hoping AF1 is running at open. 

It's common for gates at SFoG to open a half hour before posted time. TC and Scorcher should also be running for that half hour before they open the rest of the park.

Thanks so much for the advice! It was really appreciated and it would have worked out very well.

As promised, here my trip report with my personal opinion about the coasters, even though it's an embarrassing testament to be getting old.

Saturday September 23rd:

They didn't let cars into the parking lot until 11:15am and visitors into the park until 11:45am. But then, Steel Cyclone ran shortly after. I was in the first train of the day. The ride was fine and maybe I'm just spoiled for having ridden many excellent RMCs before but compared to the others I only found it mediocre. Still, many parks would be glad to have something like it.

Georgia Scorcher was actually behind the rope, so not open until 12pm but that gave me the opportunity to be on another first train of the day. It was nice to ride another stand up coaster, they are getting quite rare. Unfortunately this one was very intense with the positive G forces and made me dizzy. It could have also been the hot weather and I guess I'm getting too old for this hobby.

Anyway, at Dare Devil Dive the wait was only a couple of minutes after that. I really don't like these types of Gerstlauer coasters with the vertical lifts and drops but this one in particular turned out better than expected. I'm still not a fan but it was smoother than I thought and G forces weren't too bad.

Afterwards, Goliath was a walk on. The lift and first drop and airtime hills were great, but I didn't care for the helix in the middle part. At this point I must admit I was starting to feel very dizzy and nauseated. Otherwise I would have liked Goliath even more than I still did. I guess with jetlag from international travel, the heat and 4 pretty wild coasters within 30 minutes it was not really going to be my day.

Next I did Jokers fun house coaster which was missing in your list. I thought strategy-wise this would be the best point to insert it into your plan and also it was quite tame which is what I now needed. The layout is actually very nice and I had more fun than expected.

Onwards I went to Superman, which had no line at this time around 12:45pm. Your strategy was really good and it would have worked pretty well. Except, I was feeling sick just thinking about riding the pretzel loop. I rode clones and similar rides before and just couldn't do it. I didn't even feel like any other rides so I just got a drink and sat down in the shade for 45 minutes while all coasters started building up longer lines until I felt a little better.

I debated about going back to the hotel to rest before heading to Fun Spot and maybe I could come back later tonight. But then I felt a tiny bit better and it would have been a shame to leave without riding the Schwarzkopf.

So I rode Mind Bender which had a 25 minute wait now. It was really fun as expected. The layout is very unique and I like that the two loops are so spread out over the course. It was smooth as expected. The track is different from most other coasters. Could this be what gave Intamin the idea for their mega coaster track all those decades later? I do wonder why the new trains are so short, but otherwise I liked the them. If course I prefer the classic ones but then if you think about Löna Grund, maybe we need new trains for more Schwarzkopf around the world.

I started feeling a little bit better so I took another short break and decided I could probably manage some more rides. I figured if I won't finish all coasters today, chances are I can come back in maybe 5 or 10 years and still ride the two B&Ms. Also, they are not unique in their layouts so not a big loss.

That is why I prioritized Great American Scream Machine. It was a little bit rough but not horribly so and it is really pretty with its white supports at the lake. The layout with lots of airtime is exactly to my liking. 

Next I even managed to drag myself on the old Vekoma multi looper Blue Hawk because I hoped the g forces would be less intense than on Batman or Superman. And these really old Vekoma coasters have a limited lifespan at other parks so maybe this has the highest chance of being gone when I can come back. The coaster wasn't as horrible or as rough as I expected, which was a nice surprise. Still, the five inversions left me dizzy again.

I could have done Batman now, maybe even Superman, but that would have completely ruined me for the day so I couldn't have enjoyed Fun Spot. That's why I left with 9 out of 11 coasters.

I didn't have enough time for a long hotel break anymore but at least for a good lunch and some relaxed waking with a/c in a department store which helped me a lot. Then it was time for Fun Spot. I got there around 6:30pm.

It was nice that they let me ride the Sea Serpent even though it's a kiddie ride. Then I also did their other family coaster. Finally, it was time for Arie Force 1. Wow, what a ride! It was amazing! It was super wild as I have expected from this RMC and the layout is so much fun! The inversions are great, too! If course it's not a tame ride but actually for my body it was a lot easier and less nauseating than most rides at Six Flags. I was tempted to ride it several more times (which I should've). In my opinion it is by far the best ride in the Atlanta region - sorry, Six Flags!

But instead of re-rides, looking at the time, I could instead get back to Six Flags to finish what I had started. I felt good enough to do Batman now, especially as the sun went down, and with it the heat. If they wouldn't close the line early for Superman, at this point I would just ride it because it would be the last ride of the day and it couldn't ruin Arie Force 1 anymore.

I got back to the Six Flags parking lot at 8:02pm for a 10pm closing. And guess what, they didn't let me or anyone else in anymore. No admissions after 8pm, despite the fact that I got a wristband for re entry earlier. That's really annoying. It meant that I couldn't get the two missing coasters today anymore and that I should've just opted for re rides on Arie Force 1 instead. Oh well, one day when I have a long layover in ATL I will come back to hopefully complete my coaster collection here.

As a closing thought, I must say that Six Flags over Georgia was still one of the better Six Flags parks in my opinion. Operations at opening and throughout the afternoon were very good, except for the no re-entry after 8pm rule. All coasters were up and running with multiple trains (where possible) which is not always the case at other Six Flags. The coaster line up is not amazing but still decent enough. My favorite was the Mind Bender but also the Great American Scream Machine and Goliath were pretty good.

One last remark: You should all try to go to the North Georgia State Fair to ride the amazing Schwarzkopf Wildcat coaster. It is super well maintained and so smooth. The team are the friendliest people in the world and really appreciate what a special coaster they have there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wuzefelix said:

One last remark: You should all try to go to the North Georgia State Fair to ride the amazing Schwarzkopf Wildcat coaster. It is super well maintained and so smooth. The team are the friendliest people in the world and really appreciate what a special coaster they have there.

Thanks for the reminder on this.  Keep forgetting to swing by there.

Sucks they didn't warn you about the Fright Fest 2 hour no entry policy.  I didn't realize they did until I saw a discussion about it this weekend.  Otherwise, seems like you had pretty good day.  

probably a really good choice to skip Batman. .it's one of THE most intense versions. . .very snappy too.

So if you weren't feeling fantastic, was a good choice to skip.

did you miss the mine train?   that one is quite fun too, and didn't see it on your list.

Oooh, of course I rode the mine train, thanks for reminding me! They warned me that it was going to be rough but actually for an Arrow coaster of this age it was quite good and I enjoyed it a lot even though each of the three sections is super short 

You may want to take Bonine/Dramamine the night before and day of.  Or some scopolamine.  Might help with nausea and head aches.  I used to ride all day without issue.  Now I need medication if I'm riding more than a few things.

A terrible accident occurred this past weekend at the park.  Even though it did not involve a ride, it is still tragic nonetheless.  Fright Fest scare actors riding in a van in an employee access area crashed, ejecting one of the team members who later died at the hospital.  My thoughts and prayers are with their family and everyone involved.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/employee-killed-car-accident-six-flags-officials-say/RPQQCOJWGJFWNDOALKUXE4DVSA/

• Sad 3