TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Big Mike needs everyones advice for magazine article!

Hey Friends,

Big Mike has been asked by a magazine to come up with an article on coasters, and I flew through it until I came upon thier request for the best starter coaster for a kid?

I know I have been on MANY, but never really judged it from this angle.

Please give me your ideas on the best kids coaster!

Thanks, Big Mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would start little kids out on trains first. Train rides like Thomas Town, Casey Jr., Disney Railroad, or those tiny train rides at carnivals or in malls. The idea is get them used to the feeling of a rolling motion. The next step up as height limits allow would be something like Goliath Jr. at SFMM. Short track length and height, so kid can see parent 100% of the time. Coasters on the scale of Goliath Jr. would be the starter coaster. It would introduce the child to the feeling of a drop, roller coasting, and then brakes.

These aren't really full-fledged kiddie coasters, but I'd say either Racer or Jack Rabbit at Kennywood. They aren't to small, but aren't too big either. They are perfect for getting a kid acquainted to that *big coaster* experience, without being incredibly huge or scary...just flat out fun.

My kids started out on the coasters at Disneyland and I'd say those are pretty good choices. They aren't really "kiddie" coasters, but the fact that you can sit right behind the kids on Matterhorn really helps.

Of course, when my kids were little it was before Matterhorn had the 35" height requirement that it does now. I think they were both under 2 the first time they rode it.

The first "kiddie coaster" they rode was probably Canyon Blaster or Goliath Jr (Percy's Railway) at SFMM.

Ok, my son, who is 2, just rode his first coaster this month, Timberline Twister at Knott's. He really loved it and it's a good intro for a kid, its got a little kiddy airtime and a real lift hill. The coaster my my older kids really loved when they were little was Percy at SFMM, again it's like a small version of a real coaster and the train theming helps for kids who are a little timid to ride a coaster. Of course Disneyland is great for kids, because of the low height requirements on all of their coasters. Sidewinder at Knott's also has a 42" requirement, but is a solid coaster even for adults, just intense enough to be thrilling, but not scarey for a kid. And we can't forget Dragon Wagons and Wacky Worms, those are always good.

Thats all I got, hope it helps.

I'd definitely go with Mine Trains. Lower hight restrictions, out of control, banked turns and they are always something that kids talk about after riding. My first was the Dalonegah Mine Train at SFoG and I remember describing every twist and turn to my friends at school the next day.

For a 'mild' kiddie coaster to begin with, something like a Wacky Worm could work, but if you want to try a 'real' coaster, I'd suggest the Waldameer Park Comet (though I can't remember the height requirement offhand). It's smooth as glass, considerably mild, but still a fun ride with a few tiny hints of airtime.

I'd suggest going to a child-oriented park so if your child isn't interested in the coaster, there're plenty of other things to do. My first coaster was Ice Mountain Bobsled at Enchanted Forest (34" height requirement), and it's only a tiny part of what makes the park great. There are a few other rides and endless quirky walk-through attractions, some with interactive elements.

Another amazing choice, of course, is a Disney park, but I think that may go without saying.

Otherwise, I'd suggest starting with a small oval. There are some tiny Milers out there that are very tame. Some of the slightly larger ones are pretty mild as well. Also, check out the kiddie coasters at local carnivals, like the Dragon Wagon and Orient Express. Some are powered, some are gravity, some allow adults and some don't. My 2nd and 3rd coasters were Wisdom ovals.

My first coaster that wasn't a crappy Miler was Big Bad Wolf. So I'd say Arrow's Suspended coasters and the Mine Trains. Both of them have low height limits and aren't overly tall or intense.

Mine was BBW as well. Gentle fun with a big drop and fun swinging turns. It's too bad that almost none of them exist anymore.

Smaller sized family woodies like Scooby Doo's Ghoster Coaster at King's Dominion work well.

Hey Friends,

Big Mike has been asked by a magazine to come up with an article on coasters, and I flew through it until I came upon thier request for the best starter coaster for a kid?

I know I have been on MANY, but never really judged it from this angle.

Please give me your ideas on the best kids coaster!

Thanks, Big Mike

The most popular "family coaster" in the world is Big Thunder Mountain. I really think that is the right answer. Sure, it might have a 40" height requirement, but that means most kids at about 4 years old can ride.

--Robb

Here was my coaster progression... The shorter the better. Most children are afraid of heights. Start them out on the short stuff... Take KD for example. Start them on something like, Antique Cars, then progess to a more thrill but not tall ride like Scrambler. Children don't mind "fast" too much. but they do mind height.

Now, you move them on to bigger things, Taxi Jam and Ghoster Coaster, They may be scared at first but after they realize that this ride is nothing more than more height, they will enjoy it. Avalanche is also a great stepping stone coaster due to its duel rider seats and small and short layout. Now since they will ride the little woodie, I would say its best to transition them to the big woodie. FIrst take them on Rebel Yell. They can see the entire layout. Then if they like it, take them to Hurler and Grizzly. Once your children have mature in these coasters, Backlot would be the next step. It's not tall, but it has surprises and may scare the children with its launch. If you can get them comfortable, the next step would be to break their fear of the "big coasters." The best coasters for that would be Anaconda or Shockwave (if they are tall enough to ride either.) Both experiences can be thrilling.

Finally, to finish off their coaster phobia, take them on Dominator, its open, the layout can be seen and the restraints are large enough to give assurance. Once you get them comfortable to ride it, Flight of Fear and Volcano can be next. I305, I would leave for last due to its height.

I would've said going to a park like "Hersheypark" but I'm not sure how kosher that'd be. As a child, Comet and SooperDooperLooper were two of my favorite rides before they added Lightning Racers but a lot of the rides seem to have grown with my generation because I don't think Stormrunner or Great Bear, which are some of more intense rides at the park, are the best recommendations.

I would say unless the kid you're introducing to roller coasters is younger than about 4.5-6, stick with the rides that go around in circles, and get them on rides that will accompany them with speed and forces like Scramblers, Pirate Ships, and Zippers (when they're ready for them ofc), and maybe even the log flume (which seem like relatively family friendly rides). Then around 7-9, start taking them on coasters that will even further prepare themselves with Gs and height, namely wooden roller coasters like Comet (at HP), Rolling Thunder (at SFGAdv) along with steel coasters like Skull Mountain (at SFGAdv) and Space Mountain (at MK), and Wild Mouses. At 10-14, this is the time when they're probably ready for the taller and more intense rides, rides like Apollo's Chariot (at BGW), Corkscrew (at CP), and possibly Millennium Force (at CP). 15+, is probably ready for whatever they can handle.

My first coaster was some small one at the Oakland Zoo back when I was probably 6. Later that summer, I was visiting Great America and rode the "Blue Streak"/Woodstock Express for the first time (My first Intamin credit!) and also got talked into riding Grizzly. Yes, I was scared ****less at first but once we were climbing the lift, I was perfectly fine. Ofcourse, I would not recommend the technique that was used on me (which worked and formed me into who I am today). My parents always told me that "Ok, then we'll leave if you don't try it." Me loving amusement parks, I did not ever want to leave so I gave in, and loved it. This technique got me on the Boardwalk's Dipper and got me completely hooked on coastering. Perhaps a reward system can be used if the kid tries out a bigger coaster; parents can buy a kid a nice souvenir/toy if they try it out.

I would not do what we did to my brother though...we just dragged him in line to try out Boomerang. He had just tried the hammerhead ride and was pretty much ok so we figured he was due for his first looper.

The most popular "family coaster" in the world is Big Thunder Mountain. I really think that is the right answer. Sure, it might have a 40" height requirement, but that means most kids at about 4 years old can ride.

--Robb

That was probably my brother's first 'bigger' coaster. Sure the track's a bit hidden so he had no idea what was going on. Being 4, he also loved Jaguar at Knotts which would be the kind of coaster I'd recommend for a kid to try. It gives them the sensation of height and being out in the open yet the ride's pretty mild.

My first coaster was Adventure Express, and I think that generally went over well/was what got me to be the coaster enthusiest I was today. Mine Train coasters have that blend of thrills, theming, and a general easiness that the whole family could enjoy, which includes introducing children to what coasters could do without going overboard on thrills. Aside from that, the classic kiddie woodies that are at the ex-Paramount parks are also good starters in terms of giving a fun ride thats not too thrilling/intense.

My first coaster was on a wild cat cookie cutter, not too intense, but for todays times somethig like this http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=1&linkid=2430 might do for the scardie cats, but something like this http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=1&linkid=2438 should be plenty enough for the thrill seeking kid to want more and more...