TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

If I had a soul I would sell it to the devil to climb up there. I can imagine it could get quite cold up there though. Very excited about Scandi next year I have to say! Not that I ever needed more reason to be excited about Scandi but I am a HUGE starflyer fan and can't wait to ride this one! I will stress I won't be going Insane again because me and that ride didn't get on too well much to other people's amusement!

-Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see - these all seem like the wrong reasons for doing it, but...

I did the SCAD Tower in the 2009 Scandi Tour.

I (finally) did a Skycoaster on 2013 Mexico Tour.

I did Blue Fall on the 2007,'11,'13 Japan Tours.

And since I wouldn't have to do anything else,

except just get up there and be up there...

Should be an easy one.

(The Star Flyer should be fun, too.)

Were at Gröna Lund yesterday and noticed that Jet-Line have had magnetic brakes retrofitted to it in the past year. Not sure that they were there when I were in the park earlier this season, but they are a real improvement in rider comfort. Completely noiseless final brakes and trims, and the only modification to fit these brakes to the train were an angled piece that is put on one side of the underside of the train.

Really hope Liseberg do the same with Lisebergbanan, unless they plan to not only replace the electrics that run the coaster, but also replace trains, etc.

Were at Gröna Lund yesterday and noticed that Jet-Line have had magnetic brakes retrofitted to it in the past year. Not sure that they were there when I were in the park earlier this season, but they are a real improvement in rider comfort. Completely noiseless final brakes and trims, and the only modification to fit these brakes to the train were an angled piece that is put on one side of the underside of the train.

Really hope Liseberg do the same with Lisebergbanan, unless they plan to not only replace the electrics that run the coaster, but also replace trains, etc.

Those were new for the beginning of last season. They also changed all the signals and programming of the ride, to guarantee the ride another 20 years of operation. It's a huge improvement, but they also had a lot of problems with the ride during the first month of operation, with more downtime than open time.

I also hope this happens to Lisebergbanan, along with a re-paint, just like Port Aventura did with Dragon Khan when Shambhala came.

Those were new for the beginning of last season. They also changed all the signals and programming of the ride, to guarantee the ride another 20 years of operation. It's a huge improvement, but they also had a lot of problems with the ride during the first month of operation, with more downtime than open time.

I also hope this happens to Lisebergbanan, along with a re-paint, just like Port Aventura did with Dragon Khan when Shambhala came.

Must have completely missed that they they upgraded Jet-Line last year, or it was just one of those non-news that aren't important to anyone but us

I know for a fact that Liseberg are looking into updating the old relay based control system in the near future, since it locks up now and then and trying to guess what's wrong is a nightmare, it also locks down if the trains are going too fast past the detectors. It's a matter of when, not if they will do it, they are waiting for an opportunity so that it fits with new attraction purchases and also finding a company that have time to do the upgrade (which I guess would be harder to find).

There were also a question if they were to replace the trains, and if so lift, MCBRs and station area track at the same time, making it just as good as new. It would be sad to loose the old trains, which was why the Jet-Line update made me happy to see that Gröna Lund had managed to add these new features to their existing trains.

• 2 weeks later...

In a reply on their facebook-page, Gröna Lund stated that there will be no new ride for next season. Instead they will focus on enhancements for the whole park.

This season they had 1 500 380 guests in total, a new record!

I know that a lot of the GP don't like when there isn't any new attractions, but enhancements for the whole park usually make the experience so much better. That's awesome about breaking their attendance record!

There were also a question if they were to replace the trains, and if so lift, MCBRs and station area track at the same time, making it just as good as new.

Always interesting how a refurbishment turns out: On Teststrecke they got new trains but kept the original lift and brakes. I only saw a train once stuck inside a brake that would not release the train but that was solved within 15 minutes.

Even if they got replaced by more modern and silent magnetic brakes the original Schwarzkopf brakes are fun in their own way. Visiting Hansa-Park were the noise is amplified inside a tunnel it is always a unique experience you will not have on modern coasters. Also filling up the standard loops with sand which robs one of the signature "RA-TA-TAT" as the train goes through...

• 4 months later...
To have a city park would be cool but on the other hand these views would drive me nuts all off-season...

Me too. I love how compact this park is, with al the rides squeezed into such a small area.

I knew the park would be closed for the winter, but it was really weird because Stockholm was having a "heat wave"... it was around 48F (9C) and mostly sunny. The coasters definitely could have run. Jealous of everyone going on the Scandi trip! This park looks incredible and is really unique being in the historic heart of a European capital.