TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Anyone else notice the boats will only hold 10 people? So much smaller than typical Intamin rides of this sort.

But it's on par and very similar with the Mack water coasters.

Also, I'm going to assume that the wider boats would have made the elevator lift a bit more difficult.

--Robb

^ Why does the drop NEED to be steep? My guess is they were going for being in the drop longer to build anticipation before hitting the water.

Think about that long ramp into the loop on Revolution. Same kind of thing.

--Robb

That or I would like to see an over 90 degrees water ride, that would be sweet! And I can see that happening in the future. Especially with Intamins rides already, they have like 80 degree drops and there coasters have over 90, it all adds up to one super water ride with an over 90 degree drop! Can't wait for that!

OK, let's put down the bong and think for a minute...

In order to go past 90deg, the vehicle must be attached to a track like a coaster. OK, no problem.

But the WATER would have to be attached to the track too... otherwise, it would get to the 90deg point, then just fall straight down, regardless of whether or not the track kept curving inward.

That would be pretty lame, actually.

^Not if it was only slightly beyond vertical, and did so gradually. Water will follow the curve of the track even if it goes beyond vertical if done correctly. Same concept is used in leafe-guard rain gutters. The water flows over the top and rounds the edge and follows the curve back inward into the gutter whereas the leaves fall right off. It could work if designed correctly.

^ FIFTY MILES PER HOUR

Rain guard gutters work because the water is fairly slow and because there's not that much of it.

Take a LOT of water and run it down a ramp at a good speed, and you'll get trickles that hug the track, but 99% of it is going straight down.

^Not if it was only slightly beyond vertical, and did so gradually. Water will follow the curve of the track even if it goes beyond vertical if done correctly. Same concept is used in leafe-guard rain gutters. The water flows over the top and rounds the edge and follows the curve back inward into the gutter whereas the leaves fall right off. It could work if designed correctly.

Did anyone notice in the videos that the "lift tables" tend to tilt side to side as they go up the tower? Do you think this was just a rendering "issue", or do you think because of the bend in the towers, the boats will actually tip from side to side a bit (off of horizon level)?

I'm thinking they will stay level, but seeing the videos like that is throwing off my brain. If they tip sideways, there's no way I'm getting on it. ha ha ha!!

Wow, this looks like it will be pretty intimidating. Even Perilous Plunge got my heart pumping like no coaster has in years, that drop is going to feel like it goes on forever. The elevator lift looks like it could be just as much fun as the drop too. I wonder if we'll see anyone else get one of these in the next few years?

This loks like a great coaster and water ride. The lift would make me think about going on though. Heres a thought - ifthe towers were enclosed like a cage would that encourage more people to ride it? It may help to make it lok more sturdy? Living in the UK, apart from Oakwood, we don't really have any spectacular chute rides. Would love to go to HW. Must look up the trips next year.

I want to comment on the whole "OMG this is unsupported" comments. While it does look VERY unsupported, things can be deceiving. In the lateral direction (ie side to side from the direction you are moving) the elevator columns are spaced fairly far apart and connected with a fairly big piece at the top. This wide stance (a la Larry Craig) makes it more stable.

In the direction you are traveling, the chute itself supports the elevator. Again, making a wide stance.

Just another water ride with a single hill and a big plunge. Nothing new, just taller. Why can't they make water rides like the good ole days, where they were more than just go up big hill, plunge, end of ride? People are willing to wait in line hours for this?

^The do make water rides like that. Mack water coasters are great and they definately do more than just lift you to the top of a hill and then splash you down. But if everyone queues up for stuff like this, what incentive is there for parks to build more elaborate (read more expensive) water rides.

Jon *I miss European water rides* Azevedo

I have read most of these replies and I see the different opinions but This still is just an elevator and drop. This is a big waste of money to me. No one is gonna fly or drive to ride this. I saw the video from the trip rob took to Korea I believe and those rides look awesome. Now The Pompei ride at Busch Gardens Europe is also just a tidal wave ride but the theming makes u think that u are getting much more. The elevator is gonna cause some problems. I think if they had a fake mountain for the elevator lift it would have gone perfectly with the woods that surround the area. I never ride these types of rides because I dont like to get soaked so this isnt a big deal to me but looking at it wont make me want to take the chance and get soaked.

Looks terrifying. Anyone else think that the 'splitting lift' will end up being this years 'ferris wheel lift hill'?

Not really....This type of lift is a proven technology (It is a first for Intamin, but Mack have done it on a number of rides)

Its simpler than Max RPM because there is less opportunity for swaying and misalignment because the cars that move up and down are connected to a track, and park in a fixed position.

It definitely is a cool element, though I think half the fun of rides like Journey to Atlantis, Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, Matterhorn Blitz etc is that the lift shaft is indoors, so you don't expect the tipping to happen, though I imagine it would be quite cool to see the horizon tilting from side to side that high up in the air.

Just another water ride with a single hill and a big plunge. Nothing new, just taller. Why can't they make water rides like the good ole days, where they were more than just go up big hill, plunge, end of ride? People are willing to wait in line hours for this?

Did I read incorrectly that there was a tunnel, squirting geysers, and the entire ride will be more than 2 minutes? That seems like more than just a drop... You can't base things solely on the 3-d animation, as we already know there's a splash bridge that isn't in the animation, so reast assured there are other details that were left out, as they're still ironing out the details.

My two cents...

-James Dillaman