TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

How bad did the trains stack when Holiday World ran all 3 PTC's

They stacked rather regularly. Holiday World spends a lot of time making sure the seat belts are really tight, causing it to take longer to check the trains. Unfortunately, it would have made more sense to have two PTCs, knowing they would stack, and three Timberliners, since load times should be greatly improved without seatbelts.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Great capacity with 2 timberliners, Excellent with 3! Remember that Holiday World will get a lot more Louisvillians this year but they may have not known that at the time of purchase!

Edited by DOCTOR DOOM!!!

^ Im surprised Holiday World doesn't advertise more in Louisville. You can find Kings Island tickets all over Kroger here. I think Holiday World should do the same thing!

I agree... Kings Island has also been advertising alot more in Indianapolis lately. The Kroger's here sell tickets, and our schools have those little pad things all around the place where you can get a 20 ticket discount. The McDonald's and Dairy Queen's don't even have the drive through window stickers or those discount papers like they all use to. Holiday World also use to lease a billboard right across the street from my house and it isn't there any longer. HW needs to step their advertising up.

These trains are so cool looking, it's just that they look like they belong on a dark ride rather than the Voyage. Hopefully I'll get over there this year, but Holiwood Nights won't be happening for us, were going to be at Coastermania instead.

How bad did the trains stack when Holiday World ran all 3 PTC's

They stacked rather regularly. Holiday World spends a lot of time making sure the seat belts are really tight, causing it to take longer to check the trains. Unfortunately, it would have made more sense to have two PTCs, knowing they would stack, and three Timberliners, since load times should be greatly improved without seatbelts.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Great capacity with 2 timberliners, Excellent with 3! Remember that Holiday World will get a lot more Louisvillians this year but they may have not known that at the time of purchase!

I agree that Holiday World ought to have three trains for Voyage if it's supported... but remember HW is still a small operation. The cost of Wildebeest and the two first-ever Timberliner trains probably has them at their budget for the year. But if attendance is good this year, down the road I can see them picking up another Timberliner... or five.

Yeah, it was real rare to see Voyage run 3 trains. I am not sure the last time I saw it, but I am thinking it was during opening year in 2006. I would think if long lines became an issue at some point they could buy a 3rd train but there really has not been a need for it at this point. I have been to Holiday World on a weekend in July before and the line was still only 15-30 minutes, and that was with the less efficient PTCs.

Because these are the first Timberliner trains ever made (besides the prototype), I think that Holiday World would want to wait and see if they really do perform like they're supposed to before buying additional trains for either the Voyage, Legend, or Raven. I mean they're not the cheapest investment, but hopefully it will pay off in the long run in terms of maintenance costs.

I always thought the raven would get them first, that way they could see how they really worked.

They tested the Timberliner prototype car on the Raven. Apparently, Holiday World liked what they saw. In terms of saving maintenance cost, it makes the most sense to put the new, less-wear-inducing trains on the coaster that is presumably the most expensive to maintain: Voyage.

^ Not to mention the great press Gravity Group can spin from it if it's a big success:

"Our brand new Timberliner Trains are on the #1 Wooden Coaster on the planet and are a hit with both guests and the park maintenance crew. Why not refresh your worn out woodie by putting on a new Timberliner?"

Edited by Emiroo

The park said they are keeping the 3rd PTC train but do not know what they are doing with it.

Raven could use a three-train operation.

I don't even think that is possible given how small the ride is. Not to mention, i think the Voyage's PTC is a bit different than the Raven's PTC, and probably couldn't operate simultaneously.

^Millennium Force has 3 trains and Top Thrill Dragster has 6 (only 5 run).Neither has a MCBR.

They both have separate loading and unloading stations. A coaster can have an one less its number of blocks amount of trains (worded that oddly...). Millennium Force has four blocks (maybe five, can its first set of brakes stop a train?). Raptor has five blocks and three trains. Magnum has four blocks and three trains. Magnum gets away with not having a MCBR or separate stations because of its long lift hill. There's a point where they can dispatch a train but it won't crest the top until the train on the course passes the first set of brakes.

Raven would need an extra brake run. But as it is the other train is hitting the brakes or close to it by the time the train in the station is ready to dispatch.

^ Im surprised Holiday World doesn't advertise more in Louisville. You can find Kings Island tickets all over Kroger here. I think Holiday World should do the same thing!

I agree... Kings Island has also been advertising alot more in Indianapolis lately. The Kroger's here sell tickets, and our schools have those little pad things all around the place where you can get a 20 ticket discount. The McDonald's and Dairy Queen's don't even have the drive through window stickers or those discount papers like they all use to. Holiday World also use to lease a billboard right across the street from my house and it isn't there any longer. HW needs to step their advertising up.

I remember riding Twisted Twins and seeing Holiday World billboards!