TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^2010 and 2011 were it's roughest years. Compared to those seasons, it's actually running pretty well right now. They reprofiled the first two valleys and half of the spaghetti bowl section for the 2012 season, and those sections have held up much better since then, and in the following seasons a ton of additional retracking has been done as well, but there are still a few rough spots particularly after the MCBR. In my opinion, it hasn't ever run quite as well as it did in 2006 when it was all totally fresh, and you can blame the trains for that. 2-row PTCs just aren't good with fluid layouts like Voyage. They shuffle and bounce around every curve and tear the track to shreds.

I think I remember something about it being designed for Timberliners. What's the story behind that?

If I remember correctly, they wanted a new train that could keep up with the transitions on the new Voyage coaster. PTC built a modification into the Voyage trains to allow the rear axle to roll back and forth easier.

My Voyage rides this past spring were among the best I've ever had (both when the trim engaged and when it didn't). Still not as smooth as opening year, but the ride just felt loose and wild, it was perfect. A few years ago, Gravity Group did some tweaks to the turn around that seemed to add a little air time AND speed.

I rode the Voyage probably 100 times between 2006-2009 and during its inaugural season I rode it 36 times in one day. I haven't been back to the park since. Has it really changed that much?

When I visited in late May I rode it 27 times in one day. But it was my only time ever at the park so I have nothing to compare it to.

The Santa Claus Land of Lights at Lake Rudolph Campground opens tomorrow. I might go tomorrow if I am not too full from Thanksgiving dinner. I will be going sometime in the next few days for sure. I will take a good look at Holiday World as I drive by to see if I can see any possible construction going on. It will be dark, and you can't see much from the road anyways, so I doubt I will see anything. I might be able to get a small look at the old Sparkler location from the road. I know that is a possible location for something new to go. I will also try to take a look at the Thanksgiving section from the road. Since they have focused on Thanksgiving the past two years, maybe they will make an announcement tomorrow on Thanksgiving. I am not expecting a huge announcement for next year, but you never know what Holiday World is planning. I will be happy no matter what they have planned. I can't wait until next season!

Hey guys!

I just completed a very extensive review of Voyage on my blog. You can click the link in my signature or check it out here.

Voyage at Holiday World: a 10-year analysis.

It's a pretty long read, but hopefully you guys will still find it interesting!

Also I'm aware that my blog is a work in progress. Some of the header tabs don't have anything in them yet.

Edited by SFOGdude25

I like your analysis of Voyage being all roller coasters in one. Made me think back on my trip last summer. I was almost overwhelmed by it; it just tried so hard to throw us around as much as possible. Most coasters have a safe, fun feel that hints at being out of control, but Voyage truly feels like it's a wild animal that does not want you riding. Coming off Voyage gives a sense of exhilaration at having accomplished something. It instantly rocketed to #2, right behind Outlaw Run, and I have a feeling it may stay there a while.

Could we be looking at a tunnel and inversion on Legend? Try did ask for "a new element"

That's what I was thinking. But the element could be anything really! I remembered hearing that Legend is getting an extensive retrack, so maybe we will be seeing some big changes here!?

But why start this late in the off season?

Could we be looking at a tunnel and inversion on Legend? Try did ask for "a new element"

That's what I was thinking. But the element could be anything really! I remembered hearing that Legend is getting an extensive retrack, so maybe we will be seeing some big changes here!?

But why start this late in the off season?

The Legend was closed during Happy Halloween Weekeends to start the off-season retracking early, so the project has been going since early September.

See this is kind of interesting. Remember that The Legend closed in September. With that said, any new element would require the use of the old trains (which is the one pictured receiving TLC), which would leave inversions out of the question. Now the Voyage is going to be 10 years old this upcoming season. I wouldn't rule out two sets of PTC's new trains and an inversion since they can do one. As for the tunnel, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were going to put one on Thunderbird somewhere after it crosses over The Voyage.

^ ehh I'm thinking either where the track crosses over before the lift into the tunnel or where the track crosses over the break run right after that tunnel. I'm thinking it's the latter as the banking coming out of that turn is already really high. Plus, they just completely re-tracked that section you're talking about and I believe Paula said at one time they discussed an inversion on The Voyage and that's not where it would go.