TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I'm not surprised at all to see these improvements during the offseason, even after Thinderbird. The owners and management of Holiday World are incredibly intelligent and most likely planned to have money set aside for improvements this year. I think part of the reason is because Thunderbird launched them even further into the top of the "best park bloodbath" but one of the setbacks is the "roughness" of their wooden roller coasters, specifically The Legend and The Voyage. I personally love The Voyage and The Raven, but I've always found The Legend incredibly painful so I welcome the improvements. I just wonder if we will still see a new ride add like a flat ride in sparkler's old spot, or a new ride at Thunderbird plaza, a new small water slide or element, or a new kiddie ride. I know I can't wait to find out!

I just happened to be browsing Intermark Ride Group's used coasters, and among the piles of Flitzers and Zyklons I found this set of Timberliner trains going for $550,000. Because of their color and their manufacturing date (2010), I was lead to believe that these were the Timberliners intended to be installed on The Voyage. Can anybody confirm or deny this? And if they weren't so pricey, I would totally buy the lead car as a piece of furniture.

Timberliners.thumb.JPG.338717da78718c4db9fb152c5a0e39a7.JPG

I just happened to be browsing Intermark Ride Group's used coasters, and among the piles of Flitzers and Zyklons I found this set of Timberliner trains going for $550,000. Because of their color and their manufacturing date (2010), I was lead to believe that these were the Timberliners intended to be installed on The Voyage. Can anybody confirm or deny this? And if they weren't so pricey, I would totally buy the lead car as a piece of furniture.

[attachment=0]Timberliners.JPG[/attachment]

While I officially can't confirm this (obviously not being a park rep.) those Timberliner trains are definitely the ones for The Voyage and the manufacturing date should be 2010 since that was the year they were originally planned to be ready.

I think it's B.S. the park had to purchase the product before it had ever been fully tested. Take this for example. PTC fully constructed a whole PTCI 360 train and then tested it on two rides (Twister @ Knobels and Hades 360) before releasing the product to be sold. TGG on the other hand, tested a 4 car skelton train on The Raven and then sold a full train to HW to run on probably the most intense wooden coaster on the planet. HW let them test that train on The Voyage for nearly 4 years and TGG was able to take the results and make modifications to the design which allows all the Timberliners in operation today to run safely. I think TGG should have gave HW their money back and taken that train off their hands and modified it for one their next projects. From a business aspect, that's the right thing to do IMO.

Edit: I should say the perhaps TGG did give them their money back and told them to keep the train, but I find that highly unlikely.

Is it possible to convert The Legend into a launched coaster? I doubt that is what they are doing, but I have been wondering about it.

Early in the season I saw them working on an area between Frightful Falls and The Legend's lift hill. As far as I could tell they were just working on the Frightful fall observation area. I think they put in a new fence and maybe new cameras on Frightful Falls. But my overactive imagination immediately noticed how close this work was to The Legend's lift hill, and I wondered for a few days if there was a secret project going on. I am sure it probably had nothing to do with The Legend, but it has kind of stuck in my mind.

^Unless they made it into a launched RMC and rebuilt the entire coaster, I would vote no against something like this. The ride was painful enough with a traditional lift, so I couldn't imagine the torture it would be with a launch in it.

Although I am thinking that they probably wouldn't be able to engineer a launch into a traditional wooden coaster without the coaster tearing itself apart. It would take a massive remodel, so if that were the case, it would be better just to RMC it.

^ Could be for The Raven or Legend. The access rode for both coasters runs underneath The Raven. I honestly don't think there is going to be a new element on anything. As I've said before, it appears they're rebuilding the tunnel at the bottom on The Legend's first drop and I think they're extensively re-tracking all of the coasters for their 70th season.

1104096933_TheLegend.png.5c955b1351f69f78a25a52cead48758e.png

See, they're rebuilding the tunnel.

Earlier this season I was at Holiday World and The Legend was down for the day. I overheard someone ask a worker why The Legend was down and the worker said The Legend got flooded and part of the tracks were under water. I don't know The Legend's track well enough to say which part of the track could have been under water. Holiday World got tons of rain the first half of the summer so it could have been possible. But I didn't see it for myself, so I am not sure. If it was true, I am sure it is not a big deal, and Holiday World has it under control. But if they redo any low points on the tracks that might explain it.

I honestly don't think there is going to be a new element on anything.

It may be something small and simple, but you can bet there'll be something that qualifies as a "new element" (like possibly a little extra scenery/theming on one of the rides). They wouldn't basically straight-up say they're getting a new element and then not deliver on that.

They wouldn't basically straight-up say they're getting a new element and then not deliver on that.

Oh they would, just for a laugh. And they didn't straight up say they were. Remember, it was a Christmas wish list to Santa and Santa doesn't alway bring you what you want

like possibly a little extra scenery/theming on one of the rides

Nobody's brought this possibility up, but I'm kinda wondering if they're going to add a VR experience to The Legend themed to the story The Legend of the Sleepy Hollow or something to that effect.

Speaking of extra themeing, I always thought it would be cool if they played this in Raven's queue occasionally and re-themed it to make it more spooky, but since they're all about being family friendly, I don't think they would ever do it.